How much mixing do "pro" producers do themselves?

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
vs. their engineers. I assume most "pros" probably make beats all day, do a little bit of mixing or whatever go-to techniques they apply, and then that's it until it's time to release, but that's me talking out of my ass.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Just check the credits...

Produced by:
Mixed by:

Usually there will be a mixing engineer listed.

Dr Dre mixes his own stuff I believe. Some producers may mix their stuff sometimes.

Take a look at Timbaland's masterclass video, I think he has an engineer there mixing as he produces. Timbaland also does some mixing stuff; but in the video i mentioned I saw him put like a wamp high shelf boost on his kick, pretty sure I see the mixing engineer then use an eq to cut that same boost.

There's an old old incredible video of Scott storch making a beat. He has an engineer present at the time making adjustments to what he's doing (I do believe).

WARNING: this video will either demoralise you or inspire you.

Dr Dre..

Also bear in mind, a lot of producers will make the beat, the beat will get sent to the artist to record and a mix engineer will receive the stems to mix the whole thing.

It can happen in varieties of ways.

Young Guru mixed a lot of if not all of the Roc A Fella stuff.

There's probably some crossover too - some producers likely "mix as they produce" and you can argue whether it's mixing or sound design. Or both. Some may produce dry and let the mix engineer do the work. Some my mix whilst producing then take their processing off when sending to the mix engineer but bounce their mixed version as a rough/guide mix so the engineer can see what they're trying to achieve.

I sometimes take a mix as I go approach, moreso when it comes to drums cause I may want to first know if they can sound as I want as a unit before bothering with the rest.

So there's no hard and fast rule, think of any combination and it's likely practised.

Then it goes to mastering ( :

And sometimes a mastering engineers job is merely just to make it louder if the mix is good, or simply say "I don't need to do anything to this record."

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
...and if you really want to get into it, Timbaland doesn't always even fully produce his beats...

He has a production team. Or producers doing or contributing a lot of the work. I think Danja Hands was once mentioned as producing a lot of his stuff. Can call it more of a collaborative effort.

So, like I said. There's a myriad of ways it's done and many ways of approaching and realising any beat or record.

And at the end of the day, it's about whatever process makes that particular piece of music bang.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah like @Iron Keys said, some might do a bit, but it's pretty much going to come down to having a mixing engineer.

I remember a video a while back with Premo and his engineer, which is the way it should be. There was also Large Pro way back that had a tape just full of raw beats, not even mixed, but then once the album came out of course it sounded great. That's when I figured these guys leave the mixing to the pros (unless you're Dre and have a massive studio to play with).

This is why most people should just focus on making beats, unless you really want to learn audio engineering. Otherwise send your beats to someone that does just mixing and let them get the best sound out of your beats.

And looking at those Storch and Dre videos, it's what I've been saying for years - we're no different than them. Just make beats, mess around and see what sounds good. Then one day maybe catch a break and get your foot in the door at the right moment.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I would do rough mixes as I'm inspired by Lance Alexander (listen to what he said about doing rough mixes in his Flyte Time days) but eventually pay a pro to work his or her aural magic.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
There was also Large Pro way back that had a tape just full of raw beats, not even mixed, but then once the album came out of course it sounded great

@Dusty B go take a look at The Alchemist's Rappers Best Friend albums... some of the mixing is low quality. But the beats still bang. Part of why I always talk about the importance over the beat/music versus the mix.

But yeah a proper mix will make them next level.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
When your stuff is ready for it, I'd happily give you a good few mixes.

Vocals included.

Thanks and I'll get at ya. What DAWs are you proficient in 'cause I'm solely on MPC Beats/MPC 2 software for good.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Thanks and I'll get at ya. What DAWs are you proficient in 'cause I'm solely on MPC Beats/MPC 2 software for good.

If you're asking re mixing - doesn't matter. We dealing with audio tracks.

I've used most major DAWs at some point;

Studio One
Cubase
Sonar/Cakewalk
Logic
Ableton
Pro Tools
Fruity Loops
Reason
Reaper

Going to omit the lesser known ones and think I may be missing one^ but the a over is generally a mix of my order of use/preference/proficiency.

I've got MPC Beats but haven't used it yet, hoping to make some use of it when I get my new computer; especially if it gives that MPC vibe.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
MPC Beats @Iron Keys does give the MPC vibe and it works best with if you get an MPK Mini MK3, best first controller I ever had. Love finger drumming on that MF.

Mr_SWADA

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 1
what i know. every guy has his job.
composer, producer, mixer, songwriter
all these resorts work together for a new song. how they work, belongs on what fits best for these group of people.
if you are a omnitalented MF you can do it all by your self.

music is not a scripted workflow. it's a feeling.

and thats why there are so much DAW. every has its own workflow and you need to figure out wich one fits you most.

and yes. most pro's let mix and master by other pro's.

why should you "waste" your time with these things when you got someone who can do it better and faster? thats time you can focus on your next beat.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
I'll break it down to you in the simplest of terms.

Did you collaborate on a song with an artist and said artist wants to publish the song to a streaming platform? If yes, get your shit mastered by a professional.

Are you uploading beats to forums, social media sites and maybe your own website for fun, a hobby or to make money? If yes, learn to mix your shit properly.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @VVS plan to pay for separate mixing/mastering services done by a human and not A.I. when I reach that point re: publishing.

Mr_SWADA

Beatmaker
right.
but a pro mixer isn't that expensiv. and btw. you don't need a dolby atmos fancy pants studio to do a mix. you setup could be enough...
that's mostly some music students or musicians.
i had once the oppertunity to work with a guy who studies music. but it wasn't my taste how he mixed and masterd my stuff. (maybe was my raw mix just shit... who knows)
but IMO they have place in the music universe, and they are needed (sometimes)

but if you're interested in the whole process of music production, you will find a way to mix and master your track in your way and workflow. and maybe enjoy it.

i have an idea for a little project:
how about, that some of us just mix&master the track fromeach other... i mean, you will face some new problems to solve. you can improve your skills.
what you think?

a bit creative can it be with paning, some effects, ect. just don't add anything.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
right.
but a pro mixer isn't that expensiv. and btw. you don't need a dolby atmos fancy pants studio to do a mix. you setup could be enough...
that's mostly some music students or musicians.
i had once the oppertunity to work with a guy who studies music. but it wasn't my taste how he mixed and masterd my stuff. (maybe was my raw mix just shit... who knows)
but IMO they have place in the music universe, and they are needed (sometimes)

but if you're interested in the whole process of music production, you will find a way to mix and master your track in your way and workflow. and maybe enjoy it.

i have an idea for a little project:
how about, that some of us just mix&master the track fromeach other... i mean, you will face some new problems to solve. you can improve your skills.
what you think?

a bit creative can it be with paning, some effects, ect. just don't add anything.
that could be a cool battle. everyone download stems to a specific beat and then upload their new mix

Mr_SWADA

Beatmaker
either a 1v1 or like 8 contestants and gets reviewd by @Fade
some could create some beats, hide some specific problems (EQ, Clicking, you name it) and those had to be found and corrected. with diffrent difficulties...
maybe im going to far but it would be dope

and its called:

"DRUMROLL"

THE MASTER ATTACK

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
some could create some beats, hide some specific problems (EQ, Clicking, you name it) and those had to be found and corrected. with diffrent difficulties...

and its called:

"DRUMROLL"

THE MASTER ATTACK
We could also just call it BONER BEAT BONANZA.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133

and its called:

"DRUMROLL"

THE MASTER ATTACK

The MOD being the judge?

Al Pacino Lol GIF by Arrow Video

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
that could be a cool battle. everyone download stems to a specific beat and then upload their new mix
This would be horrendous. Potentially. Plus, the voting on that I'm not sure how many could give a worthy vote.

I did really well in a mastering competition, and in the top ranked ones (mine included) there was barely any difference in the masters.

members online