How much mixing do "pro" producers do themselves?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Is it weird that I don't really like watching beatmaking videos?
Not necessarily, i couldn't say I particularly like them. In the case of the dre and storch vids it's probably more about the insight into your beat idols process. And blown away, like Arvin said, any time on the Storch ones when he gets to the strings o_O

Sometimes love seeing those who make the type of beats I like in the process, but it's usually in those 'playing' moments. On lead sounds.

But not odd... there are top flight professional sports players who don't watch the sport they play.

Honestly I don't either. I mean I'm mesmerized by watching any aspect of music actually happening but, whenever the camera is on most producers go into this shell mode as if they're scared or sum. it's actually rare that u find a video where the producer doesn't know he's being recorded or he's simply unaffected or....

other issue is almost 90% of the producers are just whack as fuck. untalented, weak, plain, unseasoned, nothing interesting to watch. fuck, I can barely listen to their end results, let alone watch them cook that garbage. mostly just making noise and Especially when the cam is on, they just hide behind their drum machines and play like 50 hundred kicks per bar and everyone goes "WOOOOO" n shit. restarted ass.

I remember seeing this zaytoven freestyle video, bro legit folded and started playing random ass arpeggios the whole time. same with swizz, same with almost every other producer. mfs just fold. pharrell is usually cool tho (usually he pre-does his thief business behind the camera like any other genius). tyler isn't awful either as far as I've seen.

but yee that's why when storch is in there I can't help but watch. bro just comes up with some shit on the spot that I can't think of if I think about it for years. the same 88 keys is infront of me all day everyday and I can barely get close to his throwaway level. that shit is fucking ridiculous. as with dre or ye, it's more about how they make the most of their collaborations n how they maintain the main vision the whole time that keeps me in. like on mbdtf u got mike dean n bhasker and no i.d. n bout 50 diff producers n writers and the entire thing ends up sounding so concretely connected in it's own maximalist way. or in chronic/early aftermath projects you see elizondo, storch, eminem, erryone workin towards a result that's always consistent, solid, minimalistic and you just know dre got this shit together.

We all have to start doing cocaine.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I shit you not, every producer should consider that. if I end up being rich enough I'm banking on that as my future. no yachts n shit, that makes u go broke. only more cocaine. and more beats. and more cocaine.

Animated GIF

Leopard Cohen

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 18
Me neither, I find it very hard to listen to music without wanting to make some of my own or sample what Im listening to.

Which is exactly why I turn to beatmaking videos when I'm in a rut ;)
20 mins of watching someone else chop up samples and lay down a track, I'm like "where's my sampler?!?"

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I shit you not, every producer should consider that. if I end up being rich enough I'm banking on that as my future. no yachts n shit, that makes u go broke. only more cocaine. and more beats. and more cocaine.

Animated GIF
I think it was the coke and cars that made him go bankrupt, his accountant or manager said he was driving a 200kcar to the dealership to buy another 200k car or 500k or something. But constantly.

Didn't the yacht get put on ebay? :skull:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Which is exactly why I turn to beatmaking videos when I'm in a rut ;)
20 mins of watching someone else chop up samples and lay down a track, I'm like "where's my sampler?!?"
20 minutes if watching someone chop up samples and I'm like "why when I do it do the samples not line up smooth, sound awkward and just is 50million times not as straight forward as this?"

I have to do all kinds of fades, audio warping and timestretching and other surgical stuff to try make it work. And sometimes ends up not being worth the effort.

I'm also unclear on how certain producers are getting certain parts to work.

One thing i really hate, is taking time to find all the right drum sounds. So tedious and frustrating when you just want to lay down a beat... I did have kits I presaved before but sometimes you return and be like hmm not feeling it

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
almost 90% of the producers are just whack as fuck. untalented, weak, plain, unseasoned, nothing interesting to watch. fuck, I can barely listen to their end results, let alone watch them cook that garbage. mostly just making noise and Especially when the cam is on, they just hide behind their drum machines and play like 50 hundred kicks per bar and everyone goes "WOOOOO" n shit. restarted ass.

Fools need to leave the drugs alone. 99% of today’s “Hip Hop” is catered to tweakers.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Honestly I don't either. I mean I'm mesmerized by watching any aspect of music actually happening but, whenever the camera is on most producers go into this shell mode as if they're scared or sum. it's actually rare that u find a video where the producer doesn't know he's being recorded or he's simply unaffected or....

other issue is almost 90% of the producers are just whack as fuck. untalented, weak, plain, unseasoned, nothing interesting to watch. fuck, I can barely listen to their end results, let alone watch them cook that garbage. mostly just making noise and Especially when the cam is on, they just hide behind their drum machines and play like 50 hundred kicks per bar and everyone goes "WOOOOO" n shit. restarted ass.

I remember seeing this zaytoven freestyle video, bro legit folded and started playing random ass arpeggios the whole time. same with swizz, same with almost every other producer. mfs just fold. pharrell is usually cool tho (usually he pre-does his thief business behind the camera like any other genius). tyler isn't awful either as far as I've seen.

but yee that's why when storch is in there I can't help but watch. bro just comes up with some shit on the spot that I can't think of if I think about it for years. the same 88 keys is infront of me all day everyday and I can barely get close to his throwaway level. that shit is fucking ridiculous. as with dre or ye, it's more about how they make the most of their collaborations n how they maintain the main vision the whole time that keeps me in. like on mbdtf u got mike dean n bhasker and no i.d. n bout 50 diff producers n writers and the entire thing ends up sounding so concretely connected in it's own maximalist way. or in chronic/early aftermath projects you see elizondo, storch, eminem, erryone workin towards a result that's always consistent, solid, minimalistic and you just know dre got this shit together.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot producers are a bit more introverted, that's why they're not the best on the camera, but leave that to the rappers and singers. And the guys like DJ Khaled.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot producers are a bit more introverted, that's why they're not the best on the camera, but leave that to the rappers and singers. And the guys like DJ Khaled.
This sums me up perfectly. If I wanted to be the centre of attention Id be a rapper or a dancer, but I dont, so I became a dj to hide behind turntables, then a beatmaker to hide at home and avoid people. The money would be fine, the fame, thats for somebody else.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
When I see those YT beatmaker channels where the guy is all extroverted and happy to be on camera it just seems weird to me. It ends up looking like a vlog channel and they happen to make beats.

I could never do the whole shocked thumbnail face and be all "WASSUP GUYS ITSYABOYFADE BACK AT IT AGAIN, I GOT THIS SICK SAMPLE BUT FIRST I'M SUPER EXCITED TO UNBOX MY WALMART ORDER LIVE RIGHT NOW". Never.