how productive are you with beatmaking?

• beat this! voting starts in...

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm wondering how productive peeps on here are with their beatmaking

does anyone set goals/targets of how many beats to complete in a day/week/month?

does anyone have their beatmaking down to the point where they can complete a beat in a specified timeframe?

holla

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
When you just started beatmaking, one of your first goal is to make the more beats that you can. You dont stop, you're just hungry till you get frustrated cause you have beat blocks. Then, you hear other producer's music, you admire their ideas for Simplicity. There's a period in beatmaking when you need stop for a while and figure a way to step up your game. Then, you realize that "Quality" is better than "Quantity". You cant really set goals when you dont know what to expect. You do what you can do! You can make a banger in 10 minutes sometime... and you can make another banger during a few days when you put only a few hours on it! It all depend about your creativity. I always take a few time out for weeks, cause my creativity needs it. IF you hear whats on the radio today, having talent is not needed. The sound of today is to find a good sample to loop, good rappers, good flow, and a catchy hook­. Anyways, I cant say how many beat I did or how many snippets lol, but the more quality completed song you have, more credit you will gain. Dang, its been a while i havent give my 2 cents....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Im taking my time, working and reviewing samples in my library, slowly building a concept instead of just firing away. Simply devoting my time wisely because there's more than making beats.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yeah I agree with Form and PGyal. I like to take my time and at times (like lately) I won't have alot of beats open for sale because I am pacing myself or I just don't have the samples I need. Never let deadlines get to you because they'll ruin your music. It will cause you alot of pressure and stress, causing your music to be forced and it won't come out the way you want it too. Atleast, that's how I get. So I take my time. It's better to make something your proud of then to make something in the nick of time for someone.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^^

thanks for the replies everyone

I agree that quality is very important, but I personally think there's a point where taking too long for a beat is counter productive.

anyone else?

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
Its like a grove I have to get into. I find my beats come in lots. I'll get into a mode where everything I make is on point. My best beats just come to me naturally meaning I have the basic elements of the song down in 30-45 min. and I can tell if its bangin or not, then I move on to another. I'll put down 10 solid joints like this, and tweak them to perfection over the next month or two. If I take to long on one track and its not going anywhere, I step away and take a break and come back to somethin new.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I don't make beats. I download instrumentals from kaaza. I think that's easier, and it allows you to be more productive. I can make/download up to 10 beats a day.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
you should NEVER put a number on the beats you have to produce ! you should do it for the love of it putting a number on it makes it work and not a thing that you do because you love doing it ! recently ive been going up to two weeks without making a beat ive been workin on music but not beatmaking but then i come back and i will have a few good beats in me withing a few hours !
don't force it !

L. Soul

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm not very productive. I'd have to check the other computer to see how many I've honestly put out but I only actually put up two on my soundclick site so...I mean I start a lot but if I feel it's going nowhere then I start up something new that I feel and finish. Sometimes i keep remnants of the old beat just in case inspiration comes back

E

Equality 7-2521

I look at it with a longer term approach i.e. instead of focusing on a particular number of beats a week or whatever I'm more focused on, say, completing an album in a year. I work better this way as it relieves the pressure and allows for breaks when they are needed. Plus if I were releasing albums on a lable, thats how it would be anyway.

Suppose it all depends on what you want to do with your beats.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
productivity comes with mastery cos if u look at dudes like madlib, dilla, 9th them cats drop so many beats, but i think until u reach a certain level of excellence ur focus should be getting ur quality up then u can do anything and shit will still b iller than most.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I just let what comes out naturally be my work. If i feel a beat is complete, then its complete. Sometimes this can be in only 10-15 minutes. sometimes it can go on for 2 days. I like to go into my library and find new sounds to use if i dont already have a predetermined sound set to use. Im usually pretty quick with the beats i make, but then i spend hours going over it and making sure everything is perfect. i usually crank out about 5-7 beats a week, non intentional. when ur trying to rush..the beat sounds rushed.

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I try to make at least one or two a day. Mixing takes up a lot of damn time. But it's worth every second.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
productivity comes with mastery cos if u look at dudes like madlib, dilla, 9th them cats drop so many beats, but i think until u reach a certain level of excellence ur focus should be getting ur quality up then u can do anything and shit will still b iller than most.

good point

I think having mastered your eqiupment is important to this as well

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I have become more productive since I copped FL 5 about 2 months ago. I just make beatz when I feel that creative energy and I do a lot more diggin than I used to. I would say I try to make an average of 1 beat per day...but it isn't a strict standard. Maybe I should up my grind and do 5 a day for 3 month stretch like Kanye did back in tha day. LMAO! Peace!