how productive are you with beatmaking?

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Vince said:
I don't make beats. I download instrumentals from kaaza. I think that's easier, and it allows you to be more productive. I can make/download up to 10 beats a day.

LOL!!!

MarkN said:
you should NEVER put a number on the beats you have to produce ! you should do it for the love of it putting a number on it makes it work and not a thing that you do because you love doing it ! recently ive been going up to two weeks without making a beat ive been workin on music but not beatmaking but then i come back and i will have a few good beats in me withing a few hours !
don't force it !

Very true. Except for when a label is finally interested and they want you to crank out a whole bunch of beats exactly like the one that attracted them to you. Try to get a really good routine down before you ever reach this situation, but most likely, you won't be in that situation. You would usually have a longer time frame to make some beats, but labels only care about singles, and shit that will bang on the radio.

There were times when I would crank out one or two beats per day for a couple weeks, and only 3 would be worth a damn. Other times, I would make one or two per week and they'd ALL be sick. I never put a time limit on my beats; some would take an hour or two (to make, not mix) while others would take like 5 to even 10 hours if I really want to tweak it, record my own sounds/samples and play em in my keyboard, etc. I'm the type of cat who likes to change it up... I can't just walk in the studio and do the same routine every time. I will go through the same steps at times, but sometimes backwards, sometimes forwards. When I'm sculpting a beat around a verse it takes longer sometimes. This client of mine once asked me to make one for his song, and it took me a few days to make it. Not to mention I hated the verse and didn't like the song at all.

In terms of progress I've been in so many slumps it's almost as if I quit the game sometimes. When you make some hot shit in your past, that's fuel to make more. But when you feel like you've already made your hottest, it's hard to compete with your past. It sucks for me that I've been doing this 10 years + and haven't been signed yet or have a single out, but I'm STILL learning how to improve here and there. Don't ever think you can reach your prime; there's always room for improvement.

B

Burna

N.U.G. said:
good point

I think having mastered your eqiupment is important to this as well

Exellent point, i try to atleast have a beat made a day, as well as spend a good 3-4/hrs memorizing notes, and trying to master my equipment. considering i just started out also.