I know we got mma fighters in here

• beat this! voting starts in...

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
Yo what up, I know we got some fighters in here need some tips

right now I am training in boxing and bjj not a school but I got a ex semi-pro boxer training me and this other guy who is a purple belt showing me a little bjj.

I will most likely be able to afford a real mma school by the end of this semester.

I need to drop weight cause I want to fight. I know I will not make it in the heavy weight class cause i am 248 and only 5'8 lol. Most of the dudes I checked out is like 6'0 and above lol.

So I am droping to light heavy.

what type of diet modifications did yall do to drop yall weight to get ready for a fight.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
At 248 pounds I would say drop your calorie intake to about 1500 calories a day. and Burn at least 600-700 calories every work out. You sould be working out at least 3 times a week for 30-40 minutes. Only drink water, avoid juices and anything with alot of sugar. And when I say keep your calories less then 1500, that doesnt include a Whooper at BK as part of the daily meal. You need to avoid red meat and alot of carbs. Overall just dont try to hard and kill yourself, its more discipline then dieting.

Good luck.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I don't know how you ain't losing weight training MMA style. That is the roughest shit ever. I am the last person to ask about losing weight but you can hit up my brother. He is an MMA fighter. He has a fight vid on his myspace page. I thought he kicked the guy's ass myself but I guess he lost on points.

http://www.myspace.com/mikekawai

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Drink lots of water watch what u eat and keep workin out for a few hours a day its that simple..I fight Chinese Boxing /Jeet kune Do,Muay,Silat/kali..im not heavy so i never had to worry about weight but those are the obvious things to do..

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yea i dropped weight when i first started i was barking on 300 when i started the muay thai, then i switched to boxing.

thanks alot.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
yea i dropped weight when i first started i was barking on 300 when i started the muay thai, then i switched to boxing.

thanks alot.

if u wanna be an MMA fighter u shuda stuck wit the muay thai ..its more beniificial from the blocks to the strikes and the knees and elbows its gives u unlimited ways to hurt someone..u shud see on youtube the video of a Boxer vs. a Muay thai fighter pretty entertaining....unfortunately not for the boxer

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
If you fight at light heavy, you're going to be fighting guys that walk around at 225 or more when not fighting. And they are not going to be small dudes. Second thing i would say is, know what you're getting into. Don't get anxious and just get in there to fight! It's not going to be like a street fight. I know u know that.

But, once you get in there it's a different thing. Learning good technique is super important. I would say train for a year or 2 before fighting. Do some submission grappling tourney's and maybe some exhibition MMA fights (If some of the local shows near you have those) beforehand. They usually consist of everything in a normal MMA fight except punches and kicks to the head. Learn where you are at. You are only as good as who you train with! If your instructor is getting owned by white belts and new comers to the sport, look elsewhere! lol...

As far as dieting go's. Definitely take necessary supplements like a multi-vitamin and maybe even a good fat burner (Red Line, Hydroxycut, or if you don't like all of those man made joints and want to go all natural you could just take CLA).

Go for 5 or 6 meals a day. not big meals! And like fury said. Water is super important in aiding fat loss! But keep something going into your body every 2 to 3 hours. Proper portion size is important. Get a food scale if possible. They are pretty cheap.

Something like this.
----------------------------
8:00a.m. - Breakfast
Protein Shake 1 scoop (w/water or skim milk) and your choice of 1 piece of fruit (apple, orange, banana)
or
Eggs whites (I use the "All-White's" shit you buy in the carton) 1/3 cup and a piece of fruit
or
Bowl of oatmeal (no sugar or additives, maybe some splenda) and a piece of fruit
Big glass of water
----------------------------
10:00a.m. -Snack
Protein Shake (w/water)
or
1 cup of Nuts (Almonds, walnuts etc.. nothing high in salt or sodium tho. Go for the all natural kind)
or
1 cup of Green veggies
-----------------------------
12:00p.m. Lunch
Salad w/ mixed greens and Balsamic vinegar (maybe a small amount of protein mixed in Chicken breast/Grilled or broiled)
big glass of water
2:00 Snack
Protein Shake (w/water)
or
1 cup of Nuts (Almonds, walnuts etc.. nothing high in salt or sodium tho. Go for the all natural kind)
or
1 cup of Green veggies
4:00 - Dinner
Choice of protein Chicken, Tuna steak, Fish (Broil or grill it) 3.5 oz serving
Baked potato 3.5 oz. Broiled or grilled
4 oz. Green beans (RAW)
Big glass of water
6:00 - Post workout snack
Protein Shake (W/ skim milk)

My personal preference for fight dieting is just staying away from anything high Saturated fats. I also take fish oil 3 times a day w/ meals. You just have to find what works for you, u know? Water plays a huge factor. They say that if you drink 16 oz of ice cold water before a workout and more cold water during a workout you will burn more fat. I find it to work very well. How many days a wekk are you training? Outside of the MMA training, Hit the treadmill or elliptical for 30-40 minutes. Staying active always helps.

Let me know homie!

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
^ spoken by one who knows!

lol@ owned by white belts!

lol, it's true tho! With the growth of MMA we got these McDojo's that pop up now. Some of these are guys from different martial arts (American Karate, TKD etc.) that think they know MMA and want to start training people. When they have never learned any real BJJ or Muay Thai or Boxing skills. They think just cause they got a fanacy Black Belt, in a traditional martial art, from a fat instructor, who can barely move, they are DANGEROUS and know what to do! lol. And in saying this I mean no disrespect to these martial arts. I came from TKD and moved to Muay Thai and Boxing, never to look back.

Also, I would recommend the Bas Rutten training discs! I use them alot, they are great for conditioning!!! I have them if you want a copy. Just get at me if you're interested..

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
^ spoken by one who knows!

lol@ owned by white belts!

the funny part is things like that really happen martial artists who swear they the shyt step in the ring wit a white belt and they get owned..i wuz a yellow belt when i wuz about 15 and i sparred wit a black belt wit a cocky attitude and i put him on his ass a bunch of times in front of his friends...

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Yall watch Fight Quest? Thats a cool show, dudes go around the world learning diff martial arts and then they have to fight guys skilled in what they pick up in 5 days.
It shows you how tough that shit is!

I love that show! I watch it every friday. Next friday they are going to Brasil to study BJJ! That should be real good.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
That Korean thing last night was hot, and of course shao lin was brutal

the shaolin wuz my favorite..but the kali wuz off the hook i saw alot of techniques im learnin but to the next level

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yea i wanted to stick wit muay thai but my school got closed down was not making enough money so I just got to make due.

the school I used to train at had bjj, muay thai, jeet kune do, and kali, I enjoyed it alot I got private lessons twice a month on the muay thai. But then they just upped and left and I can't find them

I been training exclusively in stand up wit a little bit a bjj for about 5 months, I train in boxing and bjj 3 times a week and plyo's and weight training twice a week.

The only supplements i am taking is cla and whey protein for after my work outs.

but good lookin out example great information.

I will actually be going to another mma school guardian mma in murfreesboro, they have really good bjj coaches there, cause thats one thing I really don't want to lack in cause i saw alot of my fav fighters get handled on the ground ie Houston Alexander

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
yea i wanted to stick wit muay thai but my school got closed down was not making enough money so I just got to make due.

the school I used to train at had bjj, muay thai, jeet kune do, and kali, I enjoyed it alot I got private lessons twice a month on the muay thai. But then they just upped and left and I can't find them

I been training exclusively in stand up wit a little bit a bjj for about 5 months, I train in boxing and bjj 3 times a week and plyo's and weight training twice a week.

The only supplements i am taking is cla and whey protein for after my work outs.

but good lookin out example great information.

I will actually be going to another mma school guardian mma in murfreesboro, they have really good bjj coaches there, cause thats one thing I really don't want to lack in cause i saw alot of my fav fighters get handled on the ground ie Houston Alexander

that sux i feel u ..u gotta make due wit what u got..u shud look into muay thai schools maybe there available somwhere near u..bjj its rele good for mma..i noticed alot of fighters weaknesses in mma is guarding the shoot most ppl just let it happen and try there luck on the ground..i wish mma wuz more mixed that what it rele is as far as kung fu hand to hand wit traps and sweeps its the most effective hand to hand art..alot of fighters wont even knoe how to block it

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as of this past Monday, I got on a pseudo Atkins diet. Int that I mean I do still eat some fruits but have cut my breads and potato's down to nearly nothing. In 6 days, I dropped off 7lbs without exercise.

My typical day consists of:

Breakfast: homemade Beef or Pork sausage (1 patty) and 2 eggs, over medium and grapes or watermelon

Snack: beef jerky

Lunch: Chicken Shawarma, Beef Kafta, tuna, or baked chicken breast w/small salad and vinagarette dressing

snack: grapes

Dinner: lean beef or chicken and veggies

I drink water w/lemon during the day EXCEPT at breakfast, that's when I have an 8oz energy drink.

I'm really big on the arabic food for lunch. Their food is extremely healthy and naturally low in fat and carbs.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
i wish mma wuz more mixed that what it rele is as far as kung fu hand to hand wit traps and sweeps its the most effective hand to hand art..alot of fighters wont even knoe how to block it

Watch some of the earlier UFC's (1-10)and how bad those Kung Fu guys get OWNED! That stuff won't work in MMA and against more straight forward martial arts (Boxing, Muay Thai). Its a good art to study but, alot of it can't be done to everyone. Especially, those who train for bodily harm at huge amounts.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Watch some of the earlier UFC's (1-10)and how bad those Kung Fu guys get OWNED! That stuff won't work in MMA and against more straight forward martial arts (Boxing, Muay Thai). Its a good art to study but, alot of it can't be done to everyone. Especially, those who train for bodily harm at huge amounts.

Firstly those kung fu guys don't even use any kung fu in those fights; they're crap.

Secondly most real kung fu is designed for killing not that sort of shit.

Thirdly real kung fu masters don't generally enter comps like that.

Fourthly its more difficult to master than arts like muay thai and boxing requiring years of dedication to get to any sort of a decent standard.

Five through to one hundred: Bruce Fucking Lee! HYaaah!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.

thas becuz 3 quarters of kung fu is not used in mma..there no throat hits eye gouges no pressure points shots and real animal syles used becuz its illegal...some animal styles like praying mantis is illegal to compete with in this country..theres a reason for that cuz its to kill not to compete wit.. unless u practice it and research about it and learn from experts then ur not gonna understand the tru power it has

Firstly those kung fu guys don't even use any kung fu in those fights; they're crap.

Secondly most real kung fu is designed for killing not that sort of shit.

Thirdly real kung fu masters don't generally enter comps like that.

Fourthly its more difficult to master than arts like muay thai and boxing requiring years of dedication to get to any sort of a decent standard.

Five through to one hundred: Bruce Fucking Lee! HYaaah!

i agree it goes against the code of kung fu fighters...its a last resort for them to use they upheld the honor and self discipline thas been passed to them thru there masters and peers..and mma fighters dont go thru the pain and punishment in training that they go thru..human weapon and fight quest dont even cover an 8th of whats it really takes to be great..