I want to produce but don't know where to start??

T

TruPlaya4real

I have the program fruity loops off ***** & I've been toying around with it for months but I can't seem to get the music I want, just goofy sounds.I'd like to be an R&B & Hiphop producer but I just don't know where to start or what to do.I still don't know alot of the functions in fruity loops and I'm pretty lost.I don't have one of those expensive keyboards but I'm hoping to get one this christmas.Anyone willing to help it would be gladly appreciated.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well I'm sure some people here will give a few tips, the first thing you should do is to search around here first.

Check all over these forums, the articles section, FAQ, etc. There's plenty of stuff on here that you can read up on that will help you get started. In the articles section there's a few tutorials on Fruity Loops so you can check that first.

You don't even need a keyboard just yet, you can use your computer's keyboard to control sounds in Fruity Loops! Check the articles section, you'll see my article on that.

Also, anyone on here that uses that program will tell you, DO NOT use the sounds that come with it. That's the biggest mistake you can make when using FL. You can load Soundfonts, WAV files, etc into Fruity and start with that, there's so many possibilities.

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
it is what fade says, don't use the fruity sounds.
I use my own samples and soft synth's in fruity loops.
what is also important are the effects.
you can download a lot of good effects on the internet for free.
I mainly use vst but you can also use dx.
these are good places to start:

http://www.krakli.co.uk/
http://www.kvr-vst.com./
http://www.ohmforce.com/articles/?type=homepage&media=flash
http://www.digitalfishphones.com

any more questions about fruity, just pm me and I'll explaine.

p.s. I don't use any keyboard, just the mouse and fruity loops.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
hello and welcome to Illmuzik.
i hope that my reply will brighten things up for you.
being a producer isn't easy; you will have to put much effort and time into making beats and listening to music.
a good producer must be a collector first (that's how i see it...).
listen to lots of music (jazz\funk\soul\disco\hip hop\etc'). train your ears by listening to different sounds and sound scapes. when you feel ready, start making music. play with sounds at first. don't start making a complete beat at once. practice by making a bass line, then a complete rhythm section. afterwards, add some more sounds. learn how to use effects properly. it'll take time, but eventually you'll get there.
we all had to start somewhere...
after some time, you will be able to develop your own style.
if you have more questions, i will be happy to assist.
good luck :thumb:

T

The Bastard

u should download the manual for fruity loops off their website print it out and read it,a lot

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by shogun3001
dont porduce!
its not for simps

lol

the things i always tell a cat who wants to start writin are as follows:

forget ya social life...producers spend more time in the basement then they do in da club or on the scene you know...ive sacrified many a party just to get that idea out my head. any producer worth his dime bags will tell u the same

u gotta love ALL kinda music. you can't just listten to the radio and expect to come correct. me personally, i listen to heavy metal, drum n bass and jungle, some hip hop and R&B, and alot of reggae. start listenin to everythin, it keeps things interesting.

u wont make money for a while...start lookin for jobs.

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
Originally posted by TrustNo1
lol
u gotta love ALL kinda music. you can't just listten to the radio and expect to come correct. me personally, i listen to heavy metal, drum n bass and jungle, some hip hop and R&B, and alot of reggae. start listenin to everythin, it keeps things interesting.

that is true, listen to all kinds of music even if you don't like that genre.
just listen to it technicaly so you can learn how it is produced and maybe add some of the production skills into your own music.
I even started to like some sorts of music I did not like at first,bossa nova for example
I started out just by listening to how they make their rythmes and I ended up buying what ever I could find of astrud gilberto, hehehe.
I also listen to a lot of trance and techno, not because I particularly like that kind of music, but they use a lot of electronic equipment and I can learn something from it.
try it.

O

o.Prime

I would say dont think of fruity loops as an all in one program, just think of it as a sequencer(a program thats going to let you arrange you sounds and parts the way you want it) or if you've ever used a sampler, just a giant one of those. And since your using fruity loops you've, for the most part, decided to be a sample based producer, I would say WingsOfAnAngel's post is defintely on point for sample based production.

T

TruPlaya4real

Thanks for all the advice I'm back.... Well I got Fruity loops for the past couple of weeks and I've been toying around & I've gotten somewhat comfortable and better but there's still so much more I need to learn... As for liking music genres.... I like all music genres & I listen to all except country, I'm sorry, can't listen to that but I really love music & I am determined to get the hang of this... I've been playing with Fruity loops day & night... My question is... where can I get better sounds and beats & put them in the Fruity loops program.... the sounds they have on their aren't exactly the things I'm looking for..... Do you know how to make your own beats or I can get samples of beats from songs or sounds or whatever! Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate the help!

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Maybe you should start by changing your name?

LOL, just kiddin, we love a good laugh at illmuzik. Welcome.
I posted the following already in a different topic for Chrono, but since your looking for the same kind of help too, here it is again:

We got a topic on sounds you might wanna check that out:
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360&highlight=sound

There is also a topic on vst's:
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3529&highlight=vst

Also check out the rest of the production forum for usefull tips, tricks and knowledge.
In the showcase you can display your tunes and get usefull feedback and also feedback others so they can learn something of your point of view on producing.

All in all i would say, keep your ear to the music and keep diggin for rare samples to chop up!
Good Luck!

PS

Originally posted by shogun3001
dont porduce!
its not for simps
HAHHA THIS IS SO FUNNY!!

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
My advice would be to listen to music and start to disect beats in your head. at first itll seem hard but after a while you will hear change ups and stuff you never noticed before.you can search google and find all kinds of free sounds to use.You'll have to search the net and read all kind of articles on production.You will never know every trick.So keep listening reading and trying.
Peace

Medicine Man

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
All I can say is find a mentor. Try to meet and kick it with a seasoned producer and watch how he makes beats. I don't mean to copy exactly what he does, but learn the technical aspects of making beats by watching him work. And ask ALOT of questions, most producers love helping new cats learn the tricks of the trade, I know I do. It really dose'nt matter what equipment you use, because once you learn the theorys of music production, you should be able to adapt that to any system. Also- I would try using another program like Acid or Reason, Fruity Loops is pretty low-end when it comes to software, but use what works best for you.

M

MIKELABZ

interesting the only music i listen to is my own....but on to the topic... its gonna take awhile to discover all the avenues of FL so take your time and dont try to figure it all out in one sitting it will eventually come to you... hey ive been in the game producing since 98 and im still learning techniques via experimentation...

L-Rock

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lol @ a few months...ur gonna need years most likely

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dawg, list a few cats have already recommended. try to find a mentor that will help guide you dawg. u first have to determine what kinda sound are you wanting to have. who is out right now that has the vibe that you want to be on. now take this as saying "copy whoever's out" as far as sound and vibe goes, find who comes closest to doing what you wanna do. then study them, try and discover what equip they work wit and alternatives if u dont have there budget, which is also where a mentor comes in. keep in mind, you may have to come off some change, it's not cheap. but there are work arounds. just read learn and study right now dawg. find a mentor to guide you.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
i say u get a free version of acid pro aor sumthing like that and some free sounds and mess around, jus to see if u like it.

members online