ILL Battle Report - Episode #5

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
Hey, we all have our ups and downs in our life... Dealing with our battles in life just makes us stronger. I would like this podcast to continue... Thank you for your feedback...I appreciate your contribution to this place and you should continue to do that.

SwayeeBoogie

Torch Bearer for Authentic Hip-Hop
A man who accepts and can admit when he's wrong is just that a MAN. No need for you to step down in your capacity being that you did the noble thing here. I myself have had a battle in my life and no how it can spill over into other things. Continue what you are doing we just have to learn from whatever mistakes we make and try our best not to repeat them. Peace.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
i like the report.. that's cool and it's one way to see what kind of stuff you guys are listening for... not that i would ever change my style (which doesn't play well on this site) but at least I can perhaps adapt a few things. Also,,, not posting certain types of beats.

That's cool that you owned up. I feel the way you did every time! I sometimes honestly can't believe what I'm hearing is getting votes.. but like I said.. different styles. Hope you get back on track. I've seen a lot of talent wasted over personal battles. Good luck.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What @StoneLockProd have you heard that you can't believe is getting votes?

The sooner people realise music is totally subjective their egos wont have such a hard time. Taming the ego is something we all need to go through, and we all act like dicks when we are going through it, but we come out the other side a little bit more hardened, a little wiser, and desperate to push the limits even more.

Its when our egos tell us we are the shit, thats when life throws a little wrench in there to tell you to sit the fuck down. How we deal with that is what separates the winners from the losers and the men from the boys.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
What @StoneLockProd have you heard that you can't believe is getting votes?
In general. Just hearing beats in these battles and thinking they are not good at all but somehow they are getting props and winning.

Absolutely 2Good. The first few times I was angry. Now I’m just understanding that it is indeed subjective. So the only thing I can do is within my own style, become the best I can at that.. to the point where even if people don’t like the style, they won’t be able to deny it.

So it’s more trying to get technique and shit dialed in. I started working harder on my mixes in particular. Trying to get feedback is the hardest though so I’m trying to listen to what everyone else is gravitating towards and inferring what different things are being critiqued and see if I’m meeting those benchmarks. Just a lot of little things that need polish.
I need to be listening to the AOTB and shit more where Fade actually breaks the beats down.
I have a small handful of people I fuck with but they don’t do so well on the feedback

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
In general. Just hearing beats in these battles and thinking they are not good at all but somehow they are getting props and winning.

Absolutely 2Good. The first few times I was angry. Now I’m just understanding that it is indeed subjective. So the only thing I can do is within my own style, become the best I can at that.. to the point where even if people don’t like the style, they won’t be able to deny it.

So it’s more trying to get technique and shit dialed in. I started working harder on my mixes in particular. Trying to get feedback is the hardest though so I’m trying to listen to what everyone else is gravitating towards and inferring what different things are being critiqued and see if I’m meeting those benchmarks. Just a lot of little things that need polish.
I need to be listening to the AOTB and shit more where Fade actually breaks the beats down.
I have a small handful of people I fuck with but they don’t do so well on the feedback
In all the years Ive made music, Ive never gotten better feedback than Ive gotten here.
The community here has always been great, with people that are really good at what they bring to the table.
Music is an expression of the soul. And not all souls will get it.

You can please some of the people some of the time, you may even please all the people once, but you will never please everybody all of the time.

When I came back to making music at t he end of last year I had a purpose, to just do me, and run with it. And I have, and its going great. So my advice to anybody is, do you, and do it really well, aim to do it better than anybody that ever did it before, you might get there, you might not. But without huge aspirations and aiming for the fucking sky, you will never get there and be driven to get there every time you sit down to make another piece of music.. Always challenge yourself thuogh, never give up, I lost 7 years of music production because I almost gave up.

The @2GooD Productions other thing about ego is when inflated it has the same effects as any drug which is distortion of reality. Also, the male ego seems to be so fragile that defeat can lead to things like

That goes to the very root of what it means to be a man, human nature 101 and millions of years of evolving into what we have become.

A man has to be the protector, he has to be strong, he cannot be a fool.
The female ego isnt any less fragile, but only in different ways. Personal appearance being a big one, how they are perceived publicly. Humans have many flaws, when we can understand our own we can at least attempt to bring some logic to an otherwise irrational emotion driven mind. Just a bit of practice, some never master the art and we are all prone to emotional distortion of reality. Its why we are so easily led like sheep by the media.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
When I came back to making music at t he end of last year I had a purpose, to just do me, and run with it. And I have, and its going great. So my advice to anybody is, do you, and do it really well, aim to do it better than anybody that ever did it before, you might get there, you might not. But without huge aspirations and aiming for the fucking sky, you will never get there and be driven to get there every time you sit down to make another piece of music.. Always challenge yourself thuogh, never give up, I lost 7 years of music production because I almost gave up.
I quit a few different times.. because I didn't see a future in it.. but I kept coming back just because of my love for the art form. Also, because I was getting older and making hip hop (more so the rapping side) has always been viewed as a young mans game. But, if i was a painter.. and I loved to paint.. would I quit painting because it's not my profession? Of course not.

I spend a lot of time in a group chat with buddies talking music, but those interactions haven't done really much to help me improve in any aspect. So, I should definitely be on here more often in the forums.. giving feedback and posting my stuff here. Better utilization of resources.. and at my age. It's all about working smarter, cuz I don't have free time like I used to!

and at my age. It's all about working smarter, cuz I don't have free time like I used to!
Preach my man, aint that the fucking truth. I had a heart attack last year, thats what gave me the kick up the arse with my music, the thought that if Id died all my creations for years would have just died with me.
Couldnt let that happen, so here I am, trying to create my own tiny legacy on the world before my time runs out.
Then I can truly think to myself that I achieved something.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Rap @StoneLockProd is viewed as (primarily, but not exclusively) a young man's (and woman's) game because the business has done everything it can to encourage and prolong adolescence while discounting and discouraging maturity, so much so that you get rappers hating the fact that they must age hence why much of rap's content on the surface is immature. I personally want to listen solely to mature in age and mature content rappers and mature doesn't have to equal boring.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Also @2GooD Productions if the entire music business wasn't youth driven there would be less situations (financial, sexual exploitation, etc.) as when something is youth driven it encourages naivety and that naivety happens differently to both sexes. For instance, if a young man has dreams of being in the music business he is likely to find a legit mentor whereas w/women as a whole, but especially young (e.g. teenaged and/or twentysomethings), we have to deal w/sexual advances, etc (this is not to exclude the fact that young men get propositioned, they can, will and do get propositioned but are less likely to report it happening due to cultural/societal norms of masculinity).

Last edited:
Also @2GooD Productions if the entire music business wasn't youth driven there would be less situations (financial, sexual exploitation, etc.) as when something is youth driven it encourages naivety and that naivety happens differently to both sexes. For instance, if a young man has dreams of being in the music business he is likely to find a legit mentor whereas w/women as a whole, but especially young (e.g. teenaged and/or twentysomethings), we have to deal w/sexual advances, etc (this is not to exclude the fact that young men get propositioned, they are less likely to report it happening).
The exploitation of the dreams of the naive is what the whole music industry is built upon. Sadly.
But thats business for you, which is why you cant let the balance between the passion and the business get out of kilter. Which has happened to hip hop over the years.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Rap @StoneLockProd is viewed as (primarily, but not exclusively) a young man's (and woman's) game because the business has done everything it can to encourage and prolong adolescence while discounting and discouraging maturity, so much so that you get rappers hating the fact that they must age hence why much of rap's content on the surface is immature. I personally want to listen solely to mature rappers.
for real.. I think it's changing more now due to the age of the genre itself.. back in the day.. there were no old heads in the game.. so the view of it was different.. now though.. you have the OGs from the 90s still doing shit and that will continue to broaden the active age group. As for what sells records.. it will continue to be the newest trends.. But at least the soul will be intact. I see guys like Ghostface and even Em. These guys are pushing 50 years old and it doesn't really matter. They still dropping fire all over. The one thing though.. and not to get into a racial conversation.. but fucking black folk age much better !!! You see Meth or Rae with their old asses and it doesn't really seem weird for them.. But, you take Mike D, who is only 5 years old and hand him a mic and it looks mad fucking weird....