Im really liking whats happening to hip hop

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I've learned to just stay away from the "Commercial/Underground" tag. I'm sayin, there's the expressive art form of emceein and then there's the corporate structure of the rap game. from a emcee standpoint,,,Imma make music that I feel expresses ME and do what I want to do wit it. If you a rapper tryin to get on MTV and make a mill. Go for it. But in order to do that, you cannot do it "your way". It's a double edged sword really. What bothers me is that indie artists get thrown into "underground". I don't like that. I'm perfectly fine being an indie artist. i answer to me. No one else. It may cost me an arm and a leg, but at the end of the day, i still have my integrity. Hip Hop isn't dead,,,,The East just ain't reppin like they should.Now it's comin full circle.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Now it's comin full circle.

i truely believe that as well...even tho i still dont listen to shit on the radio but if u notice these cats are putting a little more focus on the lyrics (still garbage) but u can see how it may slowly come back full cricle

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
The South killed hip hop..!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Awwww maaaaaaaaaaan....smh.....lemme find out this is a "the south killed hip hop" site, that shit aint cool.

Well, no. It'd be better to say its an "The East Aint Handlin Business" site. Different focus all together!! lol

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I've learned to just stay away from the "Commercial/Underground" tag. I'm sayin, there's the expressive art form of emceein and then there's the corporate structure of the rap game. .

I think its the same with commercial music period whether is hip-hop, rock, country, etc... Was watching idol a few weeks ago, i lost count of how many white chics I saw playing the acustic, trying to sound like Taylor swift. Corporate force feeds a sound and image out to the public, and aspiring artist think thats how I must sound or look to get a deal.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
The same thing that made hip hop is whats hurting it in my opinion. We're not helping "content wise" either. The mainstream is all about trends, if youre in, youre on top of the world but once youre not, you get kicked to the curb.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The east has been killing it lately mainstream and underground wise from ortiz to bp3 to heltah skeltas latest, ghost and raes shit, jadas album, even fabs jont was vibin man...I dont understand that perspective at all.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
The east has been killing it lately mainstream and underground wise from ortiz to bp3 to heltah skeltas latest, ghost and raes shit, jadas album, even fabs jont was vibin man...I dont understand that perspective at all.

That perspective comes from the overall drop in hip hop CD sells over the past 3 years or so, hip hop CD sells are down around 40% (if not more now) from 2007. The majority of that (if not all) is based on mainstream statistics. Sure there are cats making some hot ish but as far as sells go, its almost cut in half!

Read This...Its what Ive been saying throughout this whole debate.

Slumping Record Sales Are Good for Real Hip-Hop Artists

With mainstream hip-hop artists like 50 Cent and Jay-Z struggling to go platinum, it's time for the genre to return to its underground roots.

2007 was the year that the gloss, floss, and "status of a boss" image that made rap music so commercially successful in the early 1990s stopped impressing people so much. Suddenly, rap artists were forced to create real art -- or just hustle, hard -- to be heard.

Hip-hop, it seemed, was going out of fashion. It just wasn't cute anymore. Not after 'hood hero Michael Vick got caught dog fighting, and definitely not after we taught Don Imus to call the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed hos." The act had worn thin and consumers rebelled, deciding to go out and spend their money on better things than "Curtis," 50 Cent's latest album. Nevermind the prize-fight worthy hype for "Curtis" and a record sales war waged against Kanye West. By industry standards, the album was an utter flop, barely crawling past the 1 million mark. That's quite a contrast to the over 5 million sales on his last album.

This might have hurt 50's feelings -- and pockets -- had he not been making millions off of his "Formula 50" vitamin water venture, or his ever-popular G-unit clothing line. Because, you see, '07 was also the year of diversifying your game. Creating and finding more avenues for revenue was the mantra of the past year. That entrepreneurial spirit kept the game afloat in a time a when perpetually multi-platinum artists (multi-million unit pushers) had to scratch and crawl their way to gold (500,000 sales).

Rapper Jay-Z, who was also the president of Def Jam Records from 2005 to the end of 2007, started the year with a "back from retirement" album that was a critical and commercial flop, despite a marketing blitz that was the hip-hop equivalent of the "Spiderman 2" campaign. Undaunted, he returned to the studio months later to record and release a concept album and soundtrack to Denzel Washington's street hustler epic "American Gangster," which was received better by both critics and the record-buying public -- a shot at redemption he likely would not have gotten if he, as Def Jam president, didn't give it to himself. He's also co-owner of the New Jersey Nets, and is said to have just bought my favorite clothing line, Artful Dodger. Soulja boy, Hurricane Chris, Mims, and any other new artist with a hit would do well to follow these hustling examples.

But not all rappers are in it for the money. For years, Bay Area rap artists have been at the forefront of the independent music hustle. This has long been a region where one can be commercially successful and financially comfortable with a fan base of fewer than 50,000. For an independent artist, the money is quicker, more direct and more easily accountable, meaning that you can control your business with greater accuracy than most major labels. With the consignment deals most independent artists make with local record stores, they receive between half and two-thirds of the profits generated. Not to mention live shows, which are usually a major artist's bread and butter.

The risk in being an independent artist is higher. If you are not commercially successful, not only are you not making any money, but you're losing it. Not to mention the fact that your art will never be recognized on the same level as more mainstream artists -- so, no Grammies for you. But that is a small price to pay if you can sell one-third of 50 Cent's albums and still make big money. The Bay Area's E-40, San Quinn, Messy Marv, Tha Jacka, Keak da Sneak, Mr. F.A.B., Bavgate and Beeda Weeda are artists who, for the most part, have never been on a major label and are still eating fat. Some of these dudes own homes, and with Bay Area property values being some of the highest in the country, that should tell you something.

If major labels or mainstream America lose interest in hip-hop culture and rap music, it is of no consequence. In fact, this current recession in the hip-hop economy will be a good thing if it runs off all the rappers and potential moguls who only got into the game for the money, hos and clothes. In fact, it seems like recently hip-hop has retreated aesthetically and sentimentally back to the 'hood. Some of the biggest songs of the last half of 2007, like "Duffle Bag Boy" and "I'm So Hood" and even "Crank That," have been directly and definitively made for the 'hood. Artists are trying less to cross over into white America and more to gain respect and notoriety from people who look like them. And that is a beautiful thing because hip-hop first and foremost is a street culture and rap is street music. Maybe this will be the beginning of a new golden age: one where the culture controls, exploits, and owns its image and therefore directly reaps the financial benefits

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
^^^^^Very oppionated reading at best. That reads like somebody's hopes and dreams of how they want the industry to go. Jigga's album sold crazy numbers....he got some of the hottest joints bumpin' in the club right now. The industry is not all about "record sells" in this era. This is a good thing cause I remember back when Master P had the game in a strangle hold they did very few shows. I opened up form them in the southeast but it was only a few shows on the weekend. P made most his money from record sales. Now you have to hope for a club/radio banger and get your ass out of your comfort zone and hit the road immediately. That's good for true rap music fans. They get to see you perform rather than having to rely on videos and radio. Jay Z's been to Atlanta twice in the last few months. artist who a few years ago barely performed live are now hitting the road. Albums sales and live shows balance out the money in the end. Dudes are still eat quite well!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
^^^^^Very oppionated reading at best. That reads like somebody's hopes and dreams of how they want the industry to go. Jigga's album sold crazy numbers....he got some of the hottest joints bumpin' in the club right now. The industry is not all about "record sells" in this era.

HAHAHA I wouldn't expect no less coming from you (probally the most opinionated person on the internet...lol) which is not a bad thing but just leave a little room for new knowledge...sometimes we have to empty our cups before we can put fresh water in.

The estamated total sales on Jay Z's Blueprint 3 is a little over 1.6 million as compared to...lets say Biggies Life after Death which was 10 million +

The industry is not all about "record sells" in this era.

Are you kidding me? I won't even touch that...lol

@LouBez, when it comes to getting paid, which would you pick...quality or sales?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Yeah u gotta pick is it all about the quality of the tunes or the sales?

Why is it either or? I dont believe its one or the other. Its the artists, unable to blend the two!! Its the sheep minded fans that only like one style at a time. The artists are partly to blame but I dont blame people for not being leader/folding to pop opinion, anymore. I understand music is social for most artists and they dony know how to plan/think FORWARD.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Awwww maaaaaaaaaaan....smh.....lemme find out this is a "the south killed hip hop" site, that shit aint cool.

nah. The corporations killed hip hop. Like I said, it started wit Vanilla Ice and Hammer. And it slowly trickled down. The only thing I accuse the south of is killin lyricism. (East Coast cats are cgarged wit this too)Cats are too lazy. I know the south got it;'s lyrisicts, but they don't shine due to the glam rappers down there. We got mad south cats here and I worked wit a few of em.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.

As of late, i agree. D.I.R.T. was one of my fav albums this year. Then again so was "Theater of the Mind". The East is startin to slowly make a comeback as is lyricism. My point that things are comin full circle can be backed up by a new joint I just seen on MTV2. It was Luda, rick Ross, and BunB. Don't remember the name of the track. but it was a boom bap beat wit a ill 1920s sample. Shit was dope.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Why is it either or? I dont believe its one or the other. Its the artists, unable to blend the two!! Its the sheep minded fans that only like one style at a time. The artists are partly to blame but I dont blame people for not being leader/folding to pop opinion, anymore. I understand music is social for most artists and they dony know how to plan/think FORWARD.

I wasnt talking about an artist approach to making music i was talking about the "east not holding it down right" mindset...Cause from what I'm reading it seems like some arent satisfied with what the east is putting out, then when I brought up that the east has put out a GANG of snappin albums over the past couple years the discussion turns to sales. So to clarify when it comes to the "east not holding it down" what are we talking about, record sales or the quality of the tunes? Thats what I meant by pick one.

and you cant blame the heard Dox. They have been bombarded with chemicals and propaganda since they were born there are few of us who have been able to overcome the standardization in our education system...Most people are unaware that they are even being standardized or that radio and tv programs arent figures of speach...U cant fault those folks you can only be grateful that you yourself have eyes to see and ears to hear.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As of late, i agree. D.I.R.T. was one of my fav albums this year. Then again so was "Theater of the Mind". The East is startin to slowly make a comeback as is lyricism. My point that things are comin full circle can be backed up by a new joint I just seen on MTV2. It was Luda, rick Ross, and BunB. Don't remember the name of the track. but it was a boom bap beat wit a ill 1920s sample. Shit was dope.

why does it have to be a boom bap beat to be dope playa? all them dudes have been spiting the same quality lyricism over 808s and hand claps for a looooooooooong time.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
LouBez, I get the impression that you really know what it is but for the sake of argument, you just like debating...lol. props!

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dude i used to be the biggest backpacking hip hop purist u have ever met during the 90s and then I got a car, got some life experience, starting vibing in clubs, met people from all over the world, been in studio sessions with reggae legends like sly and robbie, and basicly just expanded my mind and learned that hip hop wasnt all about super lyrical lyrics. I mean its crazy cause alotta dudes from down here i used to hate on Ive been able to meet at shows confrences or studio sessions and these guys have the same feeling when they make a "commercial" song as a boop bap guy does when he is doing his shit. They dont go in and say ima tailor this for the radio like alotta heads think. Lol.

I mean people probably thnk flo rida is a wack emcee...trust me, nobody wants to freestyle battle that man or hop on a track that aint about bitches with him. But u would never know that cause he is percieved as a pretty boy auto tune rapper...

So nah, im not just playing devils advocate...Im just trying to share my perspective with yall bois cause im comming from a different place. Im in a place where I can separte my personal taste from what good music is. When you ask some one what the best 5 hip hop albums are and what are their favorites and they give you the same five albums, that person loses credibility in my eyes cause they cant remive their ego from their ears...and that makes for disaster when it comes to this music shit.