In terms of workflow?

C

caddytheproducr

What daw do you think has the easy workflow and why? reason, fl studio,logic, protools..ect?

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Reason and Podium

Especially when you have a rack setup before hand.

Speaking of which I need to make few live setups...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ive used cubase, pro tools, and logic. I like logic the best....once u understand the envrionment you can customize your rig to do whatever, whenever

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
This is a tough question because to answer it properly, you should be somewhat proficient in all or else, whatever you use is gonna be "the best".

These are the ones that I have used and this is how I rank them for workflow ONLY...

1. FL Studio
2. Ableton
3. Reason
4. ProTools

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
This is a tough question because to answer it properly, you should be somewhat proficient in all or else, whatever you use is gonna be "the best".

Exactly. It also depends on what you're doing and how good you are. I make my beats in Acid and record voc in protools.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah..it's all about what you're most comfortable with....

I'm most comfortable with FL Studio...then Pro tools....I'm not too familiar with Reason...didn't like how it worked for me...Maybe I just didn't give it a shot..Haven't used much else....

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

paradigmshifter

Beatmaker
ill o.g.

I second that.
I've used most major DAWs and each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

FL Studio - best workflow when putting ideas down
Logic - 2nd best workflow for ideas
Cubase - tie at 2nd best on my list... Overall good workflow but not as straighforward as FL Studio...
Reason - 3rd best for ideas, but I don't like the fact that VSTs are not supported in this DAW... don't know if it was implemented in the new version...

Pro Tools - best workflow for tracking and mixing - I don't really like programming MIDI in Pro Tools, the interface is kind of uninspiring to me, even with the new look of PT8

Keep up
PS

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
hahaha I forgot all about ACID, that was the first program I ever used to make beats. Then I went to SoundForge...boy those were the days!

lol Yea man! I feel like I'm too deep in to throw in a new DAW lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Well judging what Ive heard from you, I wouldn't change a thing. ACID is dope, SONY bought them so that says enough in my opinion.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Well judging what Ive heard from you, I wouldn't change a thing. ACID is dope, SONY bought them so that says enough in my opinion.

Thanks DAC! lol
"but I don't like the fact that VSTs are not supported in this DAW"

If they add VST support to Reason I will stop using it.

It has the best workflow for that specific reason.

You mean because its "uncluttered" (for lack of a better word)?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"You mean because its "uncluttered" (for lack of a better word)?"

yea kinda, when I worked in Logic or Pro tools most of the time I just found myself messing with technology, or just playing with new plugins. With Reason/Record I think in terms of sounds. Like this track needs a great synth lead with modulation then I go find or build it. Not hey I just downloaded 5 new plugins lets try them out. I mean the refill libraries alone will keep me busy in Reason forever. There is only ONE plugin I miss in Reason and that is Vocalign and that is only for voice over work. For anything else you can build it or there is a refill for it in Reason, you don't NEED plugins at all.

With Reason I find myself focusing on creating art rather than being a tech jockey. I don't really want a million options you know. I want to know where my Pianos are, where my Rhodes are where my Organs are, strings etc. I don't want to learn a new UI for each sound. Remember that back in the day I cut tape, long before computer recording. Everything was about making a decision and moving on. Music was better for it. Now everyone keeps all the settings and can change everything last minute but they NEVER get anything done.

well ok thats my rant of the day ha ha.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Theres definately such thing as too many options. And it works for some but I completly understand. When you know what you want, you only want what you need and vice versa.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Chris i feel u on the logic deal...i use maschine to setthe ideas off then bounce the audio into logic to make it sound sexy...that way you separate the 2 vibes "creation" and "completion"

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
With Reason/Record I think in terms of sounds. Like this track needs a great synth lead with modulation then I go find or build it.

Not hey I just downloaded 5 new plugins lets try them out. I mean the refill libraries alone will keep me busy in Reason forever.

OK Chris, you know how I am... I need some clarification...lol. First of all, anyone on this site that downloads 5 new plugins to find a synth lead with modulation needs to find another hobby. Seriously!

I want to know where my Pianos are, where my Rhodes are where my Organs are, strings etc. I don't want to learn a new UI for each sound.

Once again, if you don't know how to organize your sounds and find them, you need another hobby. If you think you need to learn a new user interface for each sound, you need a new hobby. Simple.

IMO, Reason doesn't really do anything differently as in they are all made for producing music, it just does it in a different way. As far as building sounds, FL Studio has a program called "Morphine" that you can create just about any sound imaginable and it even gives you a starting point. So if you are into creating sounds and putting your own personal twist on them, FL has got you covered with that also.

I just feel like your discription of Reason makes it sound like its a beast of its on, capable of doing things that no other program can...and thats NOT so...lol.