is an mpc-4000 that much better than previous versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by MadScientist
I can hear the difference ......... I'm speakin from trial and error and also experience.

Yo your tracks are bangin! I dig em foreal. Your engineering skills are dope too no doubt. All I'm sayin is your tracks would be just as hot and sound just as good wether you used battery or the MPC. If you switched from your 3000 to Battery tonight and made some tracks, nobody would be able to tell the diffrence. I guarantee it. Shit would still be hot. Its all about knowing how to choose drum sounds, tweaking them right, mixing everything right, mastering everything right. It dont matter which drum machine you use. If you can program you can program.

Originally posted by themucka
i can tell you a rookie....

that my problem with software... programs...
fools... don't understand the value...
of what hip hop was made with...

tell me one classic of hip hop made on... software....
i'm talking just the beat...

dog i went 2 school for this Fullsail...
i was ignorant just like you...
hollaring at them like naw... impossible...
but it isn't i've already tested they skills .. and my boy wayne knows off the muscle..
a hip hop engineer that's good ... like wayne allison/young guru/ bob rosa...
can tell the difference trust me...
i know producer who can tell even ....

but go head and comment and throw your 2cents... i can care less...
every site has 2 have is moron... i guess your the one

Value of what hip hop was made with?? Now you're just goin on a whole diffrent subject. Its a fuckin box. It doesnt represent hip hop. Its just a tool. Akai didnt even design it for hip hop, they designed it for country music. And I can tell you right now there is no big producer that doesnt use a computer somewhere in their rig. No big mastering houses that dont use computers. So a computer is good enough to master your track but not good enough to make the music? That dont even make sense man. Go back to school and learn about some new technology. You're stuck in 1985.

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
and yes you can telll... all of my dogs notice the drums by the kick... and snare...
when ere in the session we just solo thos out... and he'll say it....

rookie... i'm not talking about getting there sound....

not as far as pattern wise...
when you use the tap tempo on 2000xl... you get that neptune pattern easy...
anyway i was giving an example... those were the close one i could relate 2 what the machine offers...

i have met pharrel.. and chad...
and i have seen there sesiion... and i ask both of em tons of question... they cool and
receptive... they taught me alot... and alot i wont share.. with fools...
like yourself who can't see when someone is trying 2 help that talk shit 4 the sake of talking shit..

homey pay attention...
i use pro tools.. TDM...

i work at real studios either my own ... circle house...

about the akai for country music so what...
piano was made for classical not soul/rock/RnB

my last comment for you is... if you broke... get a job or hustle...
stop using cracked versions.. of software...

and even when i record on cpu... i dump it all 2 tape anyways... to get that warm feel
with natural hiss... that you say don't exist...

tighten up...

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Keep your tips from Chad and Pharell man. I'm not tryin to learn how to do that Neptunes sound anyways. I'm tryin to make my own shit. What the hell do I care what machine they use. Have fun using all those secret techniques they gave you just so you can sound like one of the other million Neptune bitters out there.

Primo uses a MPC-60, and Dre uses a 4000, why dont you get all the MPC's and use a different one everytime you wanna switch styles.

and even when i record on cpu... i dump it all 2 tape anyways... to get that warm feel
with natural hiss... that you say don't exist...

If you want that nasty ass hiss all over stuff just use Sonar. It comes with a Tape simulator, you can adjust the saturation level, amount of his, and amount of distortion. Now you'll probably say the hiss from the 2" is a diffrent frequency than simulated hiss right. :rolleyes:

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
and yes you can telll... all of my dogs notice the drums by the kick... and snare...
when ere in the session we just solo thos out... and he'll say it....

rookie... i'm not talking about getting there sound....

not as far as pattern wise...
when you use the tap tempo on 2000xl... you get that neptune pattern easy...
anyway i was giving an example... those were the close one i could relate 2 what the machine offers...

i have met pharrel.. and chad...
and i have seen there sesiion... and i ask both of em tons of question... they cool and
receptive... they taught me alot... and alot i wont share.. with fools...
like yourself who can't see when someone is trying 2 help that talk shit 4 the sake of talking shit..

I feel what you're saying about the tap tempo and Iunderstandl alltogether what you are talking about now with the tap tempo thing on the mpc I must say it depends on the user being that I use it a lot I can see the neptune thing you're saying ..somtimes I just play around and Play out shit like drums and melodies that they have like in grindin every sound came from the triton or triton rack and the drums were done on the mpc2000xl same with light your ass on fire and frontin But more than 50% of the time I use the tap tempo for my kick and snare and it doesn't come out with the neptune sound but the the tap tempo if used right can make your drums stand out..as far as the difference between the 2000xl and 3000 I can tell myself because I've used both but I know nothing about the 4000....I was supposed to go to full sail being that I wasn't a resident of florida I would have to take out a 30,000$ loan..I toured the school and talked to one of the engineering professors and he didn't even know there was a 3000....But it's probally the best school for a-r-e

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
themucka ][i can see u one of those self-thought musical genius...and that's u'r problem, u thought yourself some BullSHiT....that's what the whole tutorial was all about....if u play that sh*t for your man, he would say oh. that the Amb. kit on the MPC and go ok. MPC and I would go NOPE reason SUCKAAAA!!!! the MPC is a box that plays whatever sound you put into it, just like anyother drum machine...Akai has got you plugged into their Matrix.....Get out Neo, before the agents get you...I'm not jumpin in to battle you, just trying to get you the truth...

PS... Learn to spell... S.O.U.N.D.C.L.IIIIIIIIIII ...playa.C.K. and I hope you have tons of dough to clear all your samples...

themucka

ill o.g.
@some fool... listen 2 my page homie... you'll learn something...
now for tape hiss.. remark i said natural.. not dogital fake sound...
big difference... and i go to tape... cuz i can hit it harder... gett a nicer sound....
rather than that digital distortion... with that red clip... sign...
went tape hits red it's sounds good unlike digital...

and don't take this as ohh i hate cpu.. cuz i don't...
after my mpc... it's pro tools that i rely on....

and every tip.. help how do you think neptunes got where there at...
pharelll knows the studio cuz of teddy riley... homey...and the shit he taught himm..
and he expanded...

i'm done talking about... 9/10 you probally suck anyway..
and just bitter.... but hey ... best of luck..

@innercity... you got go with instructor that are in the lab and know hip hop... they 'll tell you....

dolo and temperamental... will tell you everytime...

now john or tim greggory.. coudn't help you at full sail.. with...
ther rock oriented... even steve

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.

@innercity... you got go with instructor that are in the lab and know hip hop... they 'll tell you....

dolo and temperamental... will tell you everytime...

now john or tim greggory.. coudn't help you at full sail.. with...
ther rock oriented... even steve

I know ...I seen how rock oriented they were on the tour...The only pics of black people were of Shaq when he was with the orlando maic.He recorded his first album there and Usher....They had one cool guy in the tascam room with dreds but I'm a self tought person still learning...Once my daughter gets a little older I'm going to find a good engineering school in new york

themucka

ill o.g.
Originally posted by Freakwncy
themucka ][i can see u one of those self-thought musical genius...and that's u'r problem, u thought yourself some BullSHiT....that's what the whole tutorial was all about....if u play that sh*t for your man, he would say oh. that the Amb. kit on the MPC and go ok. MPC and I would go NOPE reason SUCKAAAA!!!! the MPC is a box that plays whatever sound you put into it, just like anyother drum machine...Akai has got you plugged into their Matrix.....Get out Neo, before the agents get you...I'm not jumpin in to battle you, just trying to get you the truth...

homie read one of my other shit....

when i talk about mpc.. i'm talking about the drums...

yes you can sp12000 has a 8 bit ... converter...
different than the mpc...

and if you solo the kick... again you can tell the difference... the good's ones can even tell
bu the way the mpc quantize the drums...

now for tritons...and roland... my man hit's em all the time...

trust me we have bets; in the studio ... for 200... if he can get it right...

at circle house the have production room... we'll make a beat with the mpc 300
the 2oo. or the sp12000... AND HE'LL GET IT...

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME ... WAIT TILL YOUR IN A REAL PRO STUDIO...
YOU'LL SEE..

LIKE I SAID BEFORE ANY BIG DOG CAN TELL I'M DONE...

TRAIN YOUR EARS... GET SOME EXPERIENCE... AND THEN YPU'LL REALIZE

and believe me... every machine has .. a different internal clock...
make the quantization of every machine different...

that's another way they know...

TITO

MAESTRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
themucka, dont stress over these clouns that baught a piece of beat making software and know call themself producers or composers. i go to school at the los angeles recording workshop and i know what you trying to explain to these clowns. and i do my beats on software fl studio producer edition. but i have a good sound card in my pc, if you dont have and good converter or prosessor on your sound card or whatever equipment your using then your work will sound like shit. i also know that the quality of your drum samples or any samples count a hole lot too. if the source meaning the sample has a poor sound quality than thats what your going to get (sample rates 8, 44.1....)
also dog i dont think some of these cats know what qhantization or sympty time code, ect. ect. are.

the way i look at it is we know how these things work for shure and some of these cats are just assuming how the equipment work.

also if you record on a reel to reel tape machine, the ones you find in profetional studion you get a better sound, thats why you pay like $200 for the tape and they only hold like 7 songs.

it really aint a mpc / software thing, is about knowing what equipment, software or hardware to use to get that profetional sound quality.
now wonder why some of the beats on here sound like shit and will sound like shit if they take it to a mastering house. i hope yall aint submitting your demos sounding like that cuzz is going straight to the trash yall.

aint no love lost.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by TITO

it really aint a mpc / software thing, is about knowing what equipment, software or hardware to use to get that profetional sound quality.
now wonder why some of the beats on here sound like shit and will sound like shit if they take it to a mastering house. i hope yall aint submitting your demos sounding like that cuzz is going straight to the trash yall.

aint no love lost.

Dawg, thats exactly what I've been saying.

What part exactly is TheMucka trying to explain to me? The tape hiss part? 90% of hip hop and RB albums nowadays go straight from a SSL or a Neve console, or a Avalon pre-amp, directly to Pro-Tools. Why? Becuase its cheaper, faster, better, unlimited takes without distortion, faster to edit, and the files are interchangeble. I dont even know what the hell 2" tape has to do with the MPC series but whatever.

trust me we have bets; in the studio ... for 200... if he can get it right...

at circle house the have production room... we'll make a beat with the mpc 300
the 2oo. or the sp12000... AND HE'LL GET IT...

See thats what I'm talkin about, If the diffrence between the MPC's is so big, why are you placin bets to see if a engineer can guess which one is which?! You need a pro engineer to try to pick them out? you think the public gives a fuck which machine you used. If the beat is bangin people will dig it wether you used a MPC60 or a RS7000 or Reason. Reason can actually hit higher bit depths and resolutions than the MPC but who cares. Thats not what matters. Its about the user not the machine.

and believe me... every machine has .. a different internal clock...
make the quantization of every machine different...

Thats just plain crazy man come on. I doubt you're quantizing anything to any resolution other than 1/16 or 1/32. Any machine or computer can handle that. When you're dealing with computer sequencing you dont even need to worry about that shit cuz if you dont like the way it quantized it when you played it, you just go back and edit it. Even on the MPC you can use the step sequencer to edit stuff. So whats this magical quantize that the MPC has thats so special.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Wow, what a debate!!

I'll make a few statements:

1. Samples are nothing more than PCM files. A sample should in theory sound the same no matter what gear it's played through, be it an MPC or PC.

2. However, there are things that each of these devices have which can 'color' the sound, such as filters and ad/da convertors. On a computer, the card's driver will sometimes do stuff to sound, but rarely. Some people claim that they can tell the difference between convertors, but they can only do it in a dead room with really nice speakers, I'll bet that they'd have a hard time doing that in somthing like a car or nightclub. With something like an SP-1200 with its lower-quality convertors, it's probably easier to tell because it stands out from the nicer ones on the MPC or PC.

3. The MPC is nothing more than a computer dedicated to one task: sampling and sequencing. It has a motherboard, input (pads and buttons), output (LCD screen), processor, RAM, storage (floppy, hard drive or zip drive), soundcard (a/d and d/a convertors). It has an operating system, it has a power supply.

There is NO magic to the MPC, just like there is NO magic to a computer. It's just a bunch of chips, bread boards, components and software, designed and programmed by humans. If someone were clever enough and had the instruction set to the MPC's processors, they could probably program an OS and software to use it as a word processor. Someone could write a driver for an older SCSI printer and plug one in to print off copies of all the bad lyrics you hear in modern rap music.

4. There is something to be said about the sonic quality of analogue tape. I cannot speak from experience, but I've heard it from enough guys into it that tape 'colors' sound, especially if you saturate it, to believe what they say. People try to emulate this in software, I don't think that it has been done successfully, although I'm sure it add something to sound which tape cannot emulate. This is similar to the debate on analogue versus digital filters...one is not necessarily 'better' than the other, but people seem to like analogue filters better. I have both analogue and digital synths in my studio, I can hear the difference between them only if sweeping the cutoff, it sounds a lot smoother because there is an infinite number of steps between each herz value, plus the way the circuitry colors the sound.

5. As far as power goes, the MPC is a technological dinosaur. It has a low resolution of 96ppqn (my software sequencer has something like 512), a single low pass filter, max 32MB ram, no SMDI transfer to a computer. The advantage the MPC offers is rock-solid timing and stability because the OS is relatively simple, it's not having to manage a squillion things like Windows or Mac OS. Why is the Akai format so univerally accepted? Because it is so SIMPLE, it doesn't take much for other manufacturers to write the specs into their sampling engines.

What Mucka's saying about the different devices having their own sound is 100% correct, but you'll find that only studio boffins can tell the difference. The big question is DOES IT MATTER?

As for recording schools, don't get me started...most kids I know who went to recording school end up getting jobs at Guitar Center or Denny's, and they go around bragging about how they're 'real' because they went to school.

I'm not saying that they don't know their stuff; in fact they probably know a ton of stuff and have had experience with some neat equipment. However, just like going to medical school doesn't make you a good doctor, going to recording school doesn't make you a good engineer. All they do is go ON and ON about how frigging GREAT Pro Tools is and how you absolutely cannot make a good track unless you run everything through an SSL mixer with flying faders, Neve compressors and printed to analogue tape.

I wish they would teach their students how to SPELL, for crying out loud, it's been a nightmare trying to read some of these posts.

Take care,

Nick

B

BeatOff

Originally posted by TITO
themucka, dont stress over these clouns that baught a piece of beat making software and know call themself producers or composers. i go to school at the los angeles recording workshop and i know what you trying to explain to these clowns. and i do my beats on software fl studio producer edition. but i have a good sound card in my pc, if you dont have and good converter or prosessor on your sound card or whatever equipment your using then your work will sound like shit. i also know that the quality of your drum samples or any samples count a hole lot too. if the source meaning the sample has a poor sound quality than thats what your going to get (sample rates 8, 44.1....)
also dog i dont think some of these cats know what qhantization or sympty time code, ect. ect. are.

the way i look at it is we know how these things work for shure and some of these cats are just assuming how the equipment work.

also if you record on a reel to reel tape machine, the ones you find in profetional studion you get a better sound, thats why you pay like $200 for the tape and they only hold like 7 songs.

aint no love lost.

Who are you callin clowns, why do some of you talk out your ass when you dont know who you're talking to and are assumnig everybody is some rookie or wack producer because they have a different opinion. Immature as fuck. I dont care that you went to recording school so did most gas station clerks. That aint shit to brag about. If you have the money to waste on that shit anybody can go. Dont get all big headed and arrogant because of some bullshit class you paid money for when you can learn most of the shit on your own. We've been saying what you are saying so why are you backing mucka when he wont even agree with what you're saying in the first place.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Originally posted by BeatOff
Who are you callin clowns, why do some of you talk out your ass when you dont know who you're talking to and are assumnig everybody is some rookie or wack producer because they have a different opinion. Immature as fuck. I dont care that you went to recording school so did most gas station clerks. That aint shit to brag about. If you have the money to waste on that shit anybody can go. Dont get all big headed and arrogant because of some bullshit class you paid money for when you can learn most of the shit on your own. We've been saying what you are saying so why are you backing mucka when he wont even agree with what you're saying in the first place.

I say beat off, some guy, themucka, and tito set up a battle..Yall set it up however

tito vs Beat off

Themucka vs beat off

some guy vs Themucka

some guy vs tito

Let your music do the talking and stop the arguing

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ok, even though everyone's got a good argument, it looks like this thread will go on forever. I feel that you've all had your say, so now I'm ending it.

And mucka, sorry but dissing beatoff like that was uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.