Knockin' Drums

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
yah, one great eq lesson: if you want more lows, Turn the highs down... if you want more highs, cut the low frequencies... its always better to do negative eqing as SyN stated...

Layering & Compression are what i use to make my drums KNOCK

Aeast

ill o.g.
compress your drums and if they still hit weak use the "puncher" its vst and i dont know if it works in reason but it will add major snap to your snares and fullness to the overall drum mix

ill o.g.
yo my techniques for this:
I chop a lot of breaks and shit, and this shit sounds dirty and wooshy or somebody put some reverb on it i dont like. I dont always want dirty and nasty sounding, so in these case i will

1. either run the break/samples/slices through a noise gate to remove all those nasty tailes OR envelope the individual slices in my sampler (kontakt in my case) that need it.

2. Very rarely i compress an individual sample/slice or two that needs it (like when you remove an open hihat from a booming on 'main' beat bassdrum with a low pass filter or vice versa with a high pass, sometimes this sounds better)

3. I use multiple outputs in kontakt and shit so sometimes i eq some slices/samples or whatever (parametric) individually if i think they need it.

4. After i laid out the beats i run the whole beat through a compressor with appropraite settings, i rarely use reverb on drums myself but when i do i do it very specifically, and decide by messing around, sometimes i do it before it gets compressed, some times after, sometimes i shorten the gate in step 1 or gate the reverb itself, it all depends on my samples and shit and what sounds best ;).

After this, its up to you, you can run the whole beat through a more general eq (graphic or some type of mulltiband), sometimes its needed because compression may affect the eq part of a sound a little or a lot. most importantly use your ear and listen to what you are working with, there is no set golden rule or methodolgy, sounds need to be tailored, they need custom service ;).
PEACE

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree with the above that you first ned some pretty good dry samples then EQ and Freq them until you find the right sound. I also run them through the compressor. If sample it compressed, compress it again. I read that in an article with DJ Quik.