Making Money Selling Beats... Read THIS!!!

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Ok, I wasn't suppose to say anything yet about this, but im gunna leak this before the official press release, so go ahead and let all your peoples know!

There is a new beat selling website coming out, wait! Don't hate already!!! Keep reading!

Anyways, this site is gunna be money! Im gunna drop a few features on you guys that you might be intersted in. Anyways, alot of people refuse to put their production on the internet cuz they get paired with "whack" producers, etc, etc... this site is going for a specialized niche, not quick profits... read further...

Features:
-Free Uploads (for first 5 beats)
-Every Beat is Screened by a panel of industry A&R's/Managers (I didnt get to find out who is quality control yet, but this is great, no more whack tracks with weak drums)
-15-20% Commissions are taken out (standard)
-Rington Licensing!!! This is gunna be big! Each user has ringtones automatically created from tracks uploaded, the site is actually going to heavily market/advertise their ringtone division (kinda like an indy blingtones!!!) only 12% comissions taken off of this
-+more typical features of a beat selling site, etc.

Furthermore... They will shop a monthly catalog to industry connects (indy and major), license original tracks (no samples) to licening catalog.... i.e. Television, Ads, etc., and other sweet optys...

overall from what ive heard this site is gunna be pretty sick, its about time somebody came through with some quality control on the web, im persoanlly sick of beat sites who are willing to sacrifice short term profits for credibility... apparently these guys are well connected with people that it should be a good thing.

Had to drop that knowledge on you guys... If I find out more Ill post, but im sure the site will be up first quarter of 2007!

O

open mind

just the usual promo from a new website sounds good but i dont expect to much.

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
HAHA, im just puttin out the word. Ive made over 15,000 part time selling beats, no joke! If I can give any advice, its explore all opportunities and avenues and quick riding your own dick over beats (this has got me in trouble and nowhere int he past)

Also if you made 7-10 gs (average for new producer) on a major placement advance... 20% of that is nothing, you are still gettin a majority of the change... +backend, assuming your shit was hot enough to make a major album cut.

I grind all the time, but ive been all about internet sites too for my production, thebeattrader.com has made me over 2000 bucks since I signed up a few months ago. I used to knock these sites, but I think these guys are on to something good...

Take it or leave it.

Discuss.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Also, its free! The site has no charge unless u upload over 5 tracks... assuming that you had 5 tracks that made it on the site, its worth a shot, whats the worst that could happen?

I'm not knockin it,,,I havnt seen it yet,,but at the same time, producers that are "out there" now are GARBAGE. I know there are cats here and cats I personally know who should get more for there loot,,,But at the same time, someone buys your track for 10G's, you get 8 after the commision, 4 To Uncle Sam,,that leaves you wit 4,,NOT BAD, but what happens when that beat is used by lets say Youn Jeezy or somebody and it gets airplay and mad rotation...do you know if there's stipulations for publication or royalties or is it just a sacrifice. I think it sounds good, yet you could make a few thousand and miss out on more, feel me?

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
its gonna be intresting to see how this things gonna work out, stress got me thinkin a little on this, i probably do it just for the exposure being that im still new to makin beats. i never sold a beat so this doesnt sound too bad to me

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
hit me up...LOL I invented buybeats.com...sold it about 5 years ago(to DJ JB), beatbroker.com..sold it, made a nice profit...about 4 years ago. run mcbeats (which iam redesigning)......was selling beats on the net since 99 LOL but yeah there is a lot more ways people can pay now but to be honest there are about 99,999 sites that do this what set you apart? i mean now cats can sell beats on soundclick....rocbeats....and also myspace is going to this method soon....I just want to see why you pop in to promote this and we never really see you other than now???? not hating but wanting know why you coming thru tryna get us to support that I think people sell beats on ill too??? also the part about the A&R's the longer I see people talking this and that about what an A&R can do and then seen 100's of my counterparts that make beats prolly 10X hotter than me...never getting a placement....from what I hear, and this is from an insider....your chances of placing a major record off the strength of your demo...Just some real talk to bypass all gimmicks ....the odds are about the same as getting struck by lightning....yes people place songs....but do the math....how many out the thousands that spend time on cd's get picked....more people that know someone will have a better shot...than jo blo with a hot beat....just some knowledge.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
relationships pay off in the long run... ive sold a good amount of beats strictly online but truthfully that shit is wack... thats why i havent posted any material online in a long while.. i may miss a sale hear and there that i would have gotten had i kept my websites active but i would much rather focus on actually producing records than just making rapid fire beats and posting them for sale left and right. since i made the decision to take my beats off the net..my sales have increased by like 10x ... cuz now im a producer instead of a kid who post hot beats. Most of my customers pay me before i even make the track cuz they know that i can make something thats gonna fit their vision... and despite all the technological advances out there today .. word of mouth is still the best form of advertising in existence... something like this may be a great idea for someone out in the cuts without a local scene .. but if u have a local scene .. i mean even if its a really small one.. i would focus on that first as ur best way to sell beats, and more importantly make relationships...

ive interned at a major label and got peeps who work at major labels... ive never heard of an A&r that is checking out peoples myspaces or soundclicks looking to buy beats.. (maybe an indie would) most of the time they just go with who they know .. cuz its both easier and safer that way for them to do business.. so it all comes back to who ya know ...

im not knocking this thing tho any exposure is good exposure.. and i might even try it out for a bit as i dont think it can hurt, but u cannot rely on something like this to be able to provide a solid base of business... u gotta plug urself into the streets and get people TALKIN about u, not TYPING bout u lol

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Industry heads that are worth their weight actually do reconnaissance online for artists and music in general. Most music has already migrated to the internet, so hanging out online while in the office, to see what is interesting and new in the ever-changing world of music, is a logical thing to pursue.

I would take a lot of what alkota says with a grain of salt. He follows your standard salesman's strategy in getting people to use his site (which is OK to a point), like personal testimony, appeal to experts (AR reps listen to your music) among others. Beat sites are good for the community because they foster communication, but telling a new producer that his beats will be listened to by AR reps (what label? an AR rep for an indie label? major? who?) is kind of like selling snake oil. Remember Farmclub.com? They used to say that "real industry people will listen and judge your music" but look where that idea went. One of Jimmy Iovine's few failures.

Try the old fashioned way, foster connections, work yourself up through the system. Donate time at a studio to meet people, intern at a label or production company. It takes persistence.

I'm sure if your beat is great, the first thing that generally crosses someone's mind in this game is "can I have someone copy this?" (especially make an interpolation).

If you sell beats online, more power to you, but be wary of any promise for instant success. Like bigd said, the odds are greater for you to get struck by lightning.

members online