making money

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
everyonce in a while I sell one between $75 and $150. I just got a deal with Hitz Studio's in new jersey (basically work for hire type stuff) where they sell the beats for me to their industry contacts. The range we talked about was $750-$3000 (this is after their commission too).

I'm so hungry to get stuff lined up.

Soo DyNaMeK

ill o.g.
My first sell.

Well I got a great deal. As my first indie label job, I did a track for an artist by the name of "Mike West" feat outlaws. He got signed to an indie in ATL. Well in school they teach producers about getting, an Advance, points, and Publishing.

A friend refered me to this artist( mike west) that was looking for new tracks to finish his album. He got a slew of peeps like, pitbull,Daz dillinger, and Outlaws on his album and he was feeling my tracks.

I got a manager to get me 1k upfront, 1 point and 30 % pub. Not bad for my first.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
LAYTOWN said:
u mean we gotta look for a manager or a agent to reperseent us

No...

And Dynamek, unless you used a sample, you got jerked on publishing... but eh... congrats nonetheless

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Ive been selling lately. I went a couple months grindin and didnt sell shit, but now that I got my shit up on illmuzik and I keep new beats on the homepage, I've had like 3 offers and sold 1 beat already. I leased the rights to my beat "Trifling" on the illmuzik homepage for $250 total and I can still use the track for whatever I want. I've also been tryin to market myself as a producer in the mixtape game by providing tracks to new and upcoming local artists in my local mixtape scene. I've got like 2 tracks being released on my boy Trifle's mixtape droppin FEB. 14 outta Cincinatti- Peep That. I didnt charge him anything but I asked for production credits to the track on the sleeve and maybe a shoutout on the tracks, ya know for promotional type shit. That is a very good way to get your name heard as a producer.

Keep Grindin and youll sell a beat in no time,

Peace,
Cincinnatti, OH.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
At least $250 a beat.

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
it depends on the artist..

for tego we sold each track 3gs.... but he bought 6..
this artist magic massey off of src/universal for 6gs.. 1 track..
tony touch 5gs.
tru life 15gs.... we on 2 tracks so far..the more work you do the more you can charge...
we negotiating woth several other artist on the prices right now...

are current prices are 15gs a track... for local independants the 5gs...

but i have a partner i split this with so 50% only comes 2 me... we dont have a manager but since my partner is an a&r for atlantic records.. domingo ramos we been getting by..

if i were any one here i would not sell 1 damn beat 2 any major for under 1g you gotta alue your self... if not you will get taken advantage of.. now im not saying not 2 do favors but sometimes you gotta say no..

Soo DyNaMeK

ill o.g.
Honesty said:
No...

And Dynamek, unless you used a sample, you got jerked on publishing... but eh... congrats nonetheless

Naww not really, being that i didnt set up my pub company and the track was something out of my old arsenal. I will mos def bring up pub if that opportunity come up again.

Thanks

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
I usually do my first beat for free.. Then they usually come back then i charge them depending on how much they got.. That for the local cats... I haven't hooked up wit anybody BIG yet...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
The Mucka:

themucka said:
but i have a partner i split this with so 50% only comes 2 me... we dont have a manager but since my partner is an a&r for atlantic records..

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but you probably don't want to throw that out there, unless you're trying to rope in people to buy beats.

I think that's a "conflict of interest" an A&R selling beats to himself, own company, or acquaintance at Atlantic... somewhere, but again, I may be wrong.

-G

themucka

ill o.g.
God said:
The Mucka:

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but you probably don't want to throw that out there, unless you're trying to rope in people to buy beats.

I think that's a "conflict of interest" an A&R selling beats to himself, own company, or acquaintance at Atlantic... somewhere, but again, I may be wrong.

-G

WRONG REAL WRONG

THERE 2 MANY A&R THAT SELL THERE SHIT 2 CATS.. JUS CUZ YOU AN A&R DONT MEAN YOU CANT SELL BEATS.. THE ARTIST STILL GOTTA WANNA JUMP ON THAT SHIT AND THEN STILL PAY FOR IT.. AND YOUR WAY OFF IVE HAD CRAIG KHALLMAN THE CO CHAIRMAN AT ATLANTIC INTRODUCE US 2 SEAN PUAL AND IRV GOTTI.. AS THE NEW NEPTUNES.. THEN GO RIGHT ON 2 TELL SEAN PAUL THAT DMINGO ALSO IS NOW AN A&R WORKING AT THE COMPANY..

AND BELIEVE ME KNO ONE ONLINE CAN AFFORD MY SHIT... IF THEY GET A BEAT FROM ME WITH OUT PAYING THE RIGHTS ARE MINE TILL THEY DO... IM JUS PUTTING OUT WHAT CAZTS CAN MAKE OFF THESE CATS.. CUZ I SEE KIDS SELLING BEATS 150 LEASING FOR 50 AND ITS MAKE ME LOL...

GET YOUR HUSTLE UP MOFOS

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
These people online don't have an inside guy at the record company selling their beats, so they have to sell their stuff for cheap to make a buck. How about I put you in touch with someone at a managment company (name one on Wilshire Blvd.) and see their price go up fiftyfold.

Yeah, I'm aware that the "silent partner" has been happening for years... look at what David Geffen did while at the William Morris Agency, he was representing the Eagles, a band that his friend managed. Geffen was a "silent partner" in the management company. Geffen booked the shows, and basically paid himself. Yeah, "hustle up," just look at the rewrite that occurred in CA state law, and then you'll know what I'm talking about.

I know, it happens all the time, I'm not knockin' you, you're lucky to have a friend on the inside, though. Remember, it's not what you know... always, it's who you know, and who knows you.

-G

themucka

ill o.g.
/\/\/\/\ We Brought Tego 2 Atlantic... Got Hims Signed...

Tru Life We Did A Song For 6 Years Ago... When He Got His New Deal He Came 2 Check The Boy...

Magic Massey Was Off Of The Strength Of Gaby Acevedo The 2nd In Command At Src..

Tony Touch Heard Our Shit Wanted 1 For His Album..

Same With Pitbull..

Being An A&r Is An Advantage But Like I Said Dont Get It Twisted I Hear Wack Beats All Day From A&r Aswell.. An Im With Artist All Day..

And Now That I Got Scott Storch Manager Dereck Looking Out For Us... U Kno Its Rap... No Insider Shit We Jus Inside...

B

Burna

See this shit just fucking amazes me, here i am making about 250$ off of beats MAYBE a week, and this cat doing big things.

Im hella impressed.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
hey Mucka an God, I have a quick question. When I use samples from records I feel like it's dangerous to sell the beat.. When you guys sell beats with samples do you effect them untill unrecognizable or pay for the rights to use the sample. If most hiphop producer's who sell beats for g's to radio/tv artists an do not clear samples I think it would be a huge risk that could collapse on the producer at any time. And I can't remember hearing about hiphop producers being sued over samples. There are websites on the net that show who used what sample.. can't the owners of these records sue? Although, if they are paying for the rights to use the sample how much are they paying, generally?