Management

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Anybody out there manage or have links to management? Please if anybody has any answers post or PM. Thanks

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
GOD yes if anyone has some nonsnakey shit for management please PM me or post.
I have been doing EVERYTHING for my company
And would LOVE to get a ligit manager for the whole whop.
I need paying shows both national and international for myself and my artists.
Also folk I dont give more than 15% (at the high water mark) 10% generally.
I dont sign lifetime contracts.
And whatever we do doesnt become part yours for life.
I know that the BEST managers dont ask for shit, they produce, and thats when I get happy enough to make sure you eat well as well.
With the basics now being covered .... whassup?
Tyme great post I swear I was gonna do the same thing.
Thanx,
Next?

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
A booking agent is different from a manager, I'm assuming you know this but just in case you don't. Your manager handles more of the operations side, making contacts, and putting you with the right people to do business. Getting shows booked is done by a booking agent who gets you dates. But it seems u pretty much got a basic understanding of what a manager is and how much u should pay him. Maybe just that many people here arent at the management phase right now. Or maybe they are like me, they dealt with flaky m.f.'s trying to pretend like a manager and lock you into a long term deal. The best idea is to ask around in your area for people that could refer u to someone thats reputable.with a track sheet you can follow up on. u may also look into entertainment lawyers. many of these guys have the same connections as managers and can make sure ur protected, as long as they aren't flaky themselves...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
I can represent myself but it would be nice to have someone who can put me in the room with the right people.
A booking agent would also be nice.
In fact both at this point in my career are downright necessary.
I am getting burned out on doing it all myself.
I want to just make trax and run stuff without having to do
Every.
Piece.
Of legwork.
Myself.
I have dealt with crazy shady talkin fast people and I dont trust 'em.

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Relic said:
In fact both at this point in my career are downright necessary.
I am getting burned out on doing it all myself.
I want to just make trax and run stuff without having to do
Every.
Piece.
Of legwork.
Myself.
I have dealt with crazy shady talkin fast people and I dont trust 'em.

Feel ya

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
You know the funny thing here TymE is that this is the industry talk section and this is definately an industry topic but like bluechippa said maybe alot of people here arent in the management phase.
So TymE I'm managing myself and 1 artist seriously part-timing for 2 others.
What are you looking for?

Opera Populare

Graduate Of The Game
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
ive been thinkin about joinin hitquarters.com they have a&r contacts upthere they review ya music once u joint i think it might b only once a year or somethin dont remember it all off hand but they also have manager contacts up there its a good spot to check out u might find somethin useful and if u join before me tell me if its worth it lol

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Ima go there too good lookin out.
EDIT
Well it looks interesting I had to do some surfing to actually get to it'
$35 a year wouldnt be bad, except if the site really works you really shouldn't need it more than one year
(provided you have material they like which is the crux isnt it?).
I just dont know, with all those people who sign up, how do you know the A&R's
will actually ever hear your material?
I suppose it cant hurt ,but it might be a gimmick.
Wont know if ya dont try.
I'll review it deeper later.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
I dont know what I was thinking.
If anyone is interested they should go to industryworks.com
I think thats what it is.
I met the lady who runs the thing at the midatlantic music conference
It is set up for independents, I forgot about that.
Think I'll make that the other thing I do today besides zone out here.
Edit
ok maybe thats not it. disregard. I'll find it and post it for who's ever interested when I get home from work.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
TymE said:
The problem is people that know generally don't share.

I guess you don't read "Blowing Up From the Basement" that appears on this site.

The entire purpose of the series of articles is for artists, producers, and aspiring label heads to mobilize themselves from their basement home/studios into becoming a force with their local scene into a national talent.

The articles also state (and I quote)
"As always, if you have a topic you would like to know more about, contact Fade or shoot me a PM, and we'll make it happen."

So the problem isn't that people who know aren't sharing, it's the people that don't know don't do their research"

I did an article on managers and stuff a while back, so once all the articles get posted once again you'll be good-to-go.

bluchippa5 said:
A booking agent is different from a manager, I'm assuming you know this but just in case you don't. Your manager handles more of the operations side, making contacts, and putting you with the right people to do business. Getting shows booked is done by a booking agent who gets you dates. But it seems u pretty much got a basic understanding of what a manager is and how much u should pay him. Maybe just that many people here arent at the management phase right now. Or maybe they are like me, they dealt with flaky m.f.'s trying to pretend like a manager and lock you into a long term deal. The best idea is to ask around in your area for people that could refer u to someone thats reputable.with a track sheet you can follow up on. u may also look into entertainment lawyers. many of these guys have the same connections as managers and can make sure ur protected, as long as they aren't flaky themselves...

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Good info.

Relic said:
GOD yes if anyone has some nonsnakey shit for management please PM me or post.
I have been doing EVERYTHING for my company
And would LOVE to get a ligit manager for the whole whop.
I need paying shows both national and international for myself and my artists.
Also folk I dont give more than 15% (at the high water mark) 10% generally.
I dont sign lifetime contracts.
And whatever we do doesnt become part yours for life.
I know that the BEST managers dont ask for shit, they produce, and thats when I get happy enough to make sure you eat well as well.
With the basics now being covered .... whassup?
Tyme great post I swear I was gonna do the same thing.
Thanx,
Next?

The best managers also won't even talk to you UNLESS they feel your music is gonna make them consistent money for the next 3-5 years.

Normally, if you got that "next level sound/music" then managers will approach you.

If you've been doing everything for your company, then you need to get yourself a personal assistant, TRUST ME it'll take all the pressure and stress off your back in terms of running a label.

If you can find a good, honest manager willing to work for 10%, then you are the man indeed, because it's not too many of those that exist.