Manual Digging vs. Internet Digging

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Internet "digging" is lazy. People have forgotten what it's like to go outside, yes OUTSIDE and the fun of finding a store that has vinyl, then digging through all of it to find some hidden gems. Looking online is cool just for the sake of doing it, but if you have the chance of going to a store, go for it!

Unless you live in the sticks like Stresswon or Relic....

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
The way the economy is, and how businesses are going out of business, the only way to get records or samples will be the internet. Unless you goto garage sales or flea markets on the regular.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
Internet "digging" is lazy. People have forgotten what it's like to go outside, yes OUTSIDE and the fun of finding a store that has vinyl, then digging through all of it to find some hidden gems. Looking online is cool just for the sake of doing it, but if you have the chance of going to a store, go for it!

Unless you live in the sticks like Stresswon or Relic....

Fade the train isnt workin on the weekends its hard to get to manhattan from Queens sometimes lol so do i get a pass to go on the internet lmao

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
looks like Culture vs Tech/Old vs Young. The last Gen needs to teach the new, how else are the youth supposed to learn?? why dont some of the older heads post Videos or Docs that make YOU want to dig.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Good point,

for me digging isn't necessarily about finding the perfect sample, it's really the thrill of the hunt. When I go out, the adventure of going to the store, digging through the piles of records is what makes the experience so worthwhile. You never know who or what you will run into. I remember finding Miles Davis - Kind of Blue original 6 eye on Columbia records in the Salvation Army, and it was just one of those amazing moments. Or finding a stack of jazz records/78's in eight garbage bags on the sidewalk. Digging is what you make it. If you only want the sounds then maybe digging in a record store isn't your thing. If you like taking a bit of a chance and time, then I encourage everyone to go digging. I agree the economy isn't doing well, but if you dig smart you can find cheap deals.

Also, where else are you going to find wicked cover/label?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Good point,

for me digging isn't necessarily about finding the perfect sample, it's really the thrill of the hunt. When I go out, the adventure of going to the store, digging through the piles of records is what makes the experience so worthwhile. You never know who or what you will run into. I remember finding Miles Davis - Kind of Blue original 6 eye on Columbia records in the Salvation Army, and it was just one of those amazing moments. Or finding a stack of jazz records/78's in eight garbage bags on the sidewalk. Digging is what you make it. If you only want the sounds then maybe digging in a record store isn't your thing. If you like taking a bit of a chance and time, then I encourage everyone to go digging. I agree the economy isn't doing well, but if you dig smart you can find cheap deals.

Also, where else are you going to find wicked cover/label art like this?

Oh shit..I'm gonna download that Scarmouche shit...

And the album art.....

Fucka buying a record...hahahahaha

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I agree, some people hoard records so much that it becomes a big issue. I have a modest collection that takes up about the space of a small closet. It's easy to transport, and I sell records I don't listen to on e-bay or Craigslist, or I put them out on the sidewalk for people to take.

Anyways, I've seen a lot of reasons not to dig on this post, I'd love to hear some more input from other diggers on the forum.

P.S Sucio, you're a bum man haha, that was my actual scan, I was just trying to inspire! You can probably find the mp3 in a very specific place, but I won't tell you where. If you can find it, I will buy you a poutine if you ever come to Montreal!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Dusty fingered diggers REP YOUR SHIT lol. I'd also like to see maybe a short video of someone out diggin lookin for that gem. on some homeland-Indiana jones Ish lol dope promotion

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Honestly watching someone else dig is prob the most boring thing, but the process itself is really what its all about. Pug made some really good points too..."the thrill of the hunt" is a great aspect of it. And dont listen to the heads trying to front like you gotta spend butt loads of money cuz u dont. You really just gotta do your homework and find out where all the cutty spots are in your town that have bargain bins or thrift spots. I dont typically spend more then $1 on each piece.....I may drop something like $2.50 or $5 on a rare gem I come across but like many others, Im ballin on a budget just like the rest of you....and thats really the point - finding something virtually worthless and bringing it back to life.

Im actually a bit surprised at just how many sample based artists rely on the net now too. Sign of the times I guess, but I really cant stress enough about how much you guys are missing out by regurgitating a compressed recording of someone else's find. That in itself is comedy to me, cuz technically YOU didn't dig shit! lol. Some other vinyl junkie did and your just piggy backing off his hard work, and the argument that that particular record may have already been sampled before is moot in a scenario like this. Call me a "purist" if you want, but Im just doing what my predecessors before me did. To me it's like any other tradition....its something you carry on to the next and so forth....its part of the grind, dig what I'm saying? Shit! Digging is too much fun anyways to not be enjoying it when you got 10 bucks or less to go drop on some records so I suggest all the lazy producers out there get off your ass and go find something to make a beat with!!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Boring maybe, but how else can the "Importance" "Thrill" or "Tradition" of digging get passed on if you dont PASS IT?? You just said a sign of the times, are you taking budding beat makers to cop their first records? first crates? no, use the signs of the times, make that shit interesting. Talking about this isnt making anyone wanna dig SHOW THEM. Come up with a story line where you're at the store and Get punched in the balls by common, then you make a bangin ass beat called "Nutz of Steal"

Alot of traditions are dieing off, the only way for them to survive is to BE that person who takes responsibility in the passing of the torch, the culture. Otherwise watch it die off to the world and forever hold your peace!

The Time iz Now

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I dig what your saying man but no one showed me what was up with digging when I started - I just figured it out and did it. Its not complex. Go to the spot when you got a couple bucks to spare, look through collections of vinyl for as long as it takes, pick some cool looking pieces out, go home, sample that shit and make a beat! Theres really nothing to "sell" there IMO to the masses. You shouldn't have to recruit people like the army to go out and dig their own vinyl if they possibly never thought about it yet - it should just be something you want to do cuz you like digging for samples.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
That worked for you and your times, this is the internet age. Which is my whole point, you cant expect them to even care if you dont show them something beyond what they are givin. Dont let the internet raise the next generation, If you do dont be surprised to find you dont have much in common with them.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
LMAO!!! my bad lol

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
You know what kills me about diggin is these vintage shops that think every piece of vinyl is worth a ton of money like its some sort of collectors item. And then you got the cats that know a little bit about this and that and tax as well. I like the thrift shops that charge the same amount for everything, like $0.25 a record.

members online