Mic

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
yo whats up illmuzik, i recently have started writing and trying to improve at rapping, i am trying to get a mic, i dont know ANYTHING about microphones or which type is appropriate for what i want.
i kinda am just trying to get a cheap but good mic that i can use in my bedroom which isnt very acoustic, just so i can put stuff on my beats and hear myself so i can sort of see what i need to improve on and work at.
any info or advice you have will help..thanks ILL

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
a cheap dynamic mic would b perfect for starting out...doesnt sound like you're trying to record a album lol. Good thing bout dynamic mics is you don't need an interface that has phantom power, but you'll need some sort of preamp to bring your mic to line level.

There are all kinds of mics, dynamic , large diaphragm condensors small diaphragm condensors ribbon mics etc...But for something to just get down the basics of recording your best bet is going dynamic to save some money . Dynamics are mainly used for live performance from what i understand but they aren't as sensitive as a condensor nor as expensive and will probably b your best bet to start with.

When you get into wanting a more professional sound you'll need to step your game up and your budget and get good preamps, a decent interface and a nice ribbon or condensor mic but from what i can tell it wouldn't b a good move for you right now.
check out some Shure dynamic mics : sm48 , sm58...
if you decide to go witha low budget condensor you'll probably be looking at a CAD, something like the GXL2400 and need to get a preamp or interface with phantom power.

Tweakheadz is a good place for info if you're not familiar with microphones or a recording setup , read these over before you make a decision :

http://www.tweakheadz.com/microphones_for_the_home_studio.htm

http://www.tweakheadz.com/microphone_preamps.htm

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
@ DP- no i dont have an interface and the budget is probably 200-250 maxright now.. would a mic that needs an interface be much better?
@aaron- thanks for all the info im deffinately gunna check out those links when i get a minute...
@Knox- i know haha ive recorded before i know about the nervouseness and uncomfortableness, still workin on it thats what this things for lol. and thanks for the suggestions i think ill probably go with one of them so i dont have to get an interface.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
@ DP- no i dont have an interface and the budget is probably 200-250 maxright now.. would a mic that needs an interface be much better?
@aaron- thanks for all the info im deffinately gunna check out those links when i get a minute...
@Knox- i know haha ive recorded before i know about the nervouseness and uncomfortableness, still workin on it thats what this things for lol. and thanks for the suggestions i think ill probably go with one of them so i dont have to get an interface.

Yeah, homie you need an interface it'll make that process 10X easier and better.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.

right, to make things clear why you need a audiointerface; You have latency issues without it which makes you fall behind the beat for 2ms. when recording. Latency is will always exist but any ASIO supported audio interface will lower the latency to where its hardly noticable.

And like everyone said before me...get and sm58, they last you a lifetime.

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
thanks for all the help guys, and how would i record my vocals to my track? can i do that through fl studios? if so i have tried connecting my turntable to fl the same way you would a microphone and it didnt work for somereason...

@DP- would this be a good interface? it seems like it comes with some software i could do the recording on and all and its only $50.. then i get the sm58 with that?

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
You can record in FL. It's kinda quirky but, it'll work.

nice, even if its a little wierd and "quirky" lol i think id deff wanna take my time to learn how to use it on fl, it would be nice to do everything in one program, simple and quick u knoww, i just think learning new programs is mad hard lol im so used to fl and im not even that intricate with it yet.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Its probably ok to start, but the pre amp in that thing is not very good. But for $50 its hard to beat.

yeah with a dynamic mic you're gonna have to push that preamp to the max to get a decent signal. It's probably cool to start with and practice with though.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFSTRKMK2 might work a little better for u...N FL studio is fine for recording that's all i use. I used to make my beats in fl then record vocals in Cool Edit (now adobe audition i guess?) but now i do everything in FL.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
agreed lol...cant wait for the audiobox 1818

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFSTRKMK2 might work a little better for u...N FL studio is fine for recording that's all i use. I used to make my beats in fl then record vocals in Cool Edit (now adobe audition i guess?) but now i do everything in FL.

this one seems nice too, would u be able to help me out once i get my stuff on how to use it on fl?

Similar pre amp, and you are so close to just getting this money wise

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB/

that you should

that one looks good also but im trying to just get all the stuff i need at the guitar center down the road, not sure which ones they have at my specific store...

yeah with a dynamic mic you're gonna have to push that preamp to the max to get a decent signal. It's probably cool to start with and practice with though.

so if i get the 150 dollar one with the sm58 it will be okay quality wise opposed to the risky $50 one?

members online