My way of making beats

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
Battle Points: 135
Y
I appreciate that... as ive only heard a few of your beats, i can hear that u know what youre doing... not trying to keep a huge secret, i just think its kinda funny... ive mentioned a few times in the threads over the years what im using... but hear it is in more detail....
imac from 06 with an upgraded version of Garageband from 2009... i also use audacity for changing tempo, pitch, etc. I still use a lot of the stock plugins from that version of GB, 1st version of nexus, guitar rig 5 (dont use this much anymore, but i used to incorporate a lot of live guitars in my beats and i would record some blues rock from time to time)... kontakt for 808 samples, other samples i usually chop and drop into the “sound fx” stock GB plugin... izotope vinyl, ozone 8... some other free plugins that i dont use too much... random drums samples that ive acquired over the years... i also like to record “live sounds” on my iphone voice recorder to sample from... idk, thats about all i can think of... tbh i really dont know what im doing when it comes to the technical side of things, i just make what i think sounds good with my limited capabilities, and i think after using the same things for so long ive just learned to know what works and what doesnt... and like i said, embracing the dirtiness... Im also a believer in that limiting yourself generates more creativity... so... yea...
Yeah I agree with that last statement bro. I first starting making beats with my iPad on fruity mobile. I like your set up. ALL that matters is how it sounds in the end. Thats it. Other than more advanced plugins from newer daws that people rarely use is all your missing. So...not much. And you can get all those affects from other programs. You're a beast. If you ever upgrade to a different DAW, Logic is the closest to GB but you could also learn Studio One I feel. DOPE!

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Yeah I agree with that last statement bro. I first starting making beats with my iPad on fruity mobile. I like your set up. ALL that matters is how it sounds in the end. Thats it. Other than more advanced plugins from newer daws that people rarely use is all your missing. So...not much. And you can get all those affects from other programs. You're a beast. If you ever upgrade to a different DAW, Logic is the closest to GB but you could also learn Studio One I feel. DOPE!
Yea, ive been thinking about upgrading to Logic for years lol... just cant justify the cost considering i purely do this as a hobby, not much more... but maybe one day... gonna need a new pc first tho hahaha...

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
Battle Points: 135
Yea, ive been thinking about upgrading to Logic for years lol... just cant justify the cost considering i purely do this as a hobby, not much more... but maybe one day... gonna need a new pc first tho hahaha...
I feel you, I bought a 2012 I Mac $350. Then upgraded the hard drive to an SSD drive $299 then maxed out the ram to 32gb for $199. I basically have the performance of a newer I Mac for $850 total it costed me. You don’t need an SSD though just more RAM will do for a 2012. You could probably find a lite version of Logic Pro x for free. Also most i macs 2010 and above come with either Logic or GB. What I would do is by a used 2012 I Mac or above for like $350-$450 that already has Logic Pro X installed on it! You’ll def find one out there with that

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
@crog85 why don't you get Studio One Prime...?

It's FREE and now supports 3rd party VSTs and plugins. It's slightly limited compared to the full version, but you can use third party stuff, and you like being limited a little it seems, so suits your process ;)

Join the clan.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
You @crog85 and @GoldenBoy won't be disappointed with Logic. I need help with GB as I'm using the current version and my issue is a simple kick snare hat pattern.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
@OGBama i can try to help with any GB questions u may have... but keep in mind I play in most of my drum patterns on a midi keyboard, and only click in things like hihat rolls... feel free to send a PM if u have any questions...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
I play everything.

But easy thing @OGBama ... if making normal hiphop put snares on beat 2 and 4 ... if making trap put snare on beat 3

then for kick you can watch the timeline bar go past, and tap on your desk where you feel the kick. then just draw it in where the timeline was when you tap. or could just draw it in. like a step sequencer

Hey @Primz why did you eq the kick drum like that? At 3:15 sec.
Sorry guys, been moving to a new place that doesn't even have Fibre installed so Im using my phone. Hahaha its cause I'm weird, lol no seriously, I do that to remove some bleed, because I have already done an eq using with ozone. You will notice when the beat is done it becomes a snappy kick.

members online