New Hard Drive

T

The Arkitekt

sata is much faster, ide is pretty much becoming obsolete. 99% of computers come with sata now.

if you get a new hard drive get a 7200 rpm hard drive, hey are much faster than the 5400 rpms

internals you can find pretty cheap now on like www.pricewatch.com or something

externals are pretty cheap too if you want to get one of those, usually if your dealing with music files and stuff people get externals just incase something happens to the internal and all the work is lost

T

The Arkitekt

if your just upgrading then your processor will be limited to what socket your motherboard supports

idealy, what i would go with is no less than a Core 2 Duo.. not Core Duo but Core 2 Duo, dont get an amd. or you can get a bottem of the line core 2 duo and overclock with no problem

T

The Arkitekt

http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2022

your motherboard does not support sata or dual core processors, you can buy a motherboard and processor combo through pricewatch and get by, then you could install a sata hardrive and put more ram than 2gb although 2gb would probly be enough for you

all this would cost around 300 tops... honestly you better off getting a brand new desktop which would be more than twice as better than the computer you have now. plus if you buy one off of ebay you could can expect to buy a dell with full manufacturer warranty for only about 350- 500 tops, it would come with a core 2 duo, sata hardrive at least like 120 gb, with a monitor and everything. youd just have to look hard

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"Brand name is a matter of preference seagate good as well."

wrong Seagates have the lowest fail rate in the industry look it up. I actually think Glyph hard drives have enough added value that they are worth the extra price.

Upgrading a dell mother board is like flying a hot air balloon to the moon.

T

The Arkitekt

Upgrading a dell mother board is like flying a hot air balloon to the moon.

well put

bro just save a couple extra hundred more and buy a new computer, its way more worth it than upping the system you have now

R

Rowdy

Your entitled to your opinion Dreampolice,but i think Western Digital has a pretty good rep as well and i see no reason to spend the extra cash.most people dont keep there computers for mor than 3-5 years so paying for more than you need is really not worth it in my opinion.regardless of what you buy you should back up anyway so theres your insurance and yet another reason not to over spend on ahard drive,not like western digital is a slouch mind you.

ill o.g.
ok, so Im gonna look for a new computer on ebay am I looking for another Dell or a Mac?

edit:When I looked it up on ebay I founda G4 on there for like $200 heres the specs

Condition: Used
Processor Type: G4
Brand: APPLE
Processor Speed: 866 MHz
Operating System: --
Processor Configuration: --
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo
Memory (RAM): 768 MB
Bundled Items: Keyboard, Mouse, Network Card
Hard Drive Capacity: 40 GB

So then I guess I would need to get OS and........I dont know more ram maybe?

T

The Arkitekt

i dont have too much knowledge in macs, but i wouldnt get a g4, i used those in like 7th grade

the least i would get from mac would be like a mac mini with intel processors there not that expensive...

plus those specs on that g4 suck, ill do a little looking around for you