New Hard Drive

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Stay away from Maxtor HD's... garbage, all three I've owned failed within months...

T

The Arkitekt

lol i had a maxtor 4gb hd from like 95, i hooked it up to a computer in 04 and it worked just fine

ill o.g.
I can spend between $800-$1000 on a computer. The Mac you found looks good thanks Ill keep that in mind but chek dell out since it would come with the widescreen monitor and keyboard and what not Im leaning towards the dell.

btw: Im going to be recording vocals from this computer as welldoes that change anything?

T

The Arkitekt

just make sure you have a good sound card and interface plus a good mic, i dont have that much knowledge on recording so anyone else correct me if im wrong

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
critical, you seem to fixated on dell, with your budget check out tiger direct, and look for socket 775 (q660 is solid), firewire port on the mobo, and some extra pci slots (x, 16 etc)

1 example http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3905991&CatId=2405, only 1 firewire port but with the 2 pci, 2 pci express x 1, and 2 pci express x 16 you'll have an option to use the pci slot for a firewire (or esata) port, leaving you an option for pci x for uad or a soundcard. there are cheaper choices, and different cpu's to choose from and more importantly, room for some serious upgrades in the future that neither a dell or a mac can give you

T

The Arkitekt

thats a barebone system, doees not have all components, i think its just missing a cooling fan though.. plus youd need to buy monitor, keyboard and mouse

but yea look around on tiger direct or newegg, the got great fucking prices

ill o.g.
I bought a computer a....HP Pavilion

Intel Core 2 quad processor
6144MB of system memory
750 GB hard drive space
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS graphics card
Windows Vista (should I change that for XP? I heard vista gives alot of poeple serious trouble)
I spent a little it more than I first anticipated

Oh yeah and I got the 24 inch flat screen so I can see right, Reason/Recycle and a Korg PadKontrol are enroute

I know Im going to need some monitors and headphones so I can hear right any suggestions on those? I also go this thing Ive had for a while its a Tascam and it connects a mic and a headphone to a computer and it does some other stuff I dont really know about I just bought it to build a vocal booth a while back so I think Im just about set....

T

The Arkitekt

damn that thing is a power house lol. about the vista/xp thing, vista pretty much just has a better appearance and runs a lot more processes than xp, so it takes up a bit more ram and cpu power (doesn't really matter with a system of those specs though). lots of people report compatibility problems with it, but i never had one problem with it so far with anything.

as for the monitors, most people say don't buy low end monitors and save up to buy a pair thats like 600-700 and up. but when people buy monitors under that price its usually the krk rp6-rp8, yamaha hs50-hs80 or the alesis m1's, dont buy m-audio monitors, they have a shitload of bad reviews, and if you can get them for a low price, get the mackie hr824's which are supposedly the best low end monitors

T

The Arkitekt

yea forgot bout that. you don't need vista 64bit too support more than 4 gb of ram, you can also use xp 64 bit

members online