New in need of help maschine or mpc2000

VCFan1001

Hey whats up Im interested in making beats and came across this site through a google search. Currently, I have Fl studio 10 and am planning on purchasing a mpc 2000 or maschine mk2 which is better between the two? Also, I found a maschine mk 2 for pretty cheap in working condition but the add says hardware only, do I need the software for it if I'm going to be using fl studio?

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Welcome to Illmuzik @VCFan1001

First off, I would strongly advise for you to know your DAW inside and out before anything else. This is where most of your production will be done in. Everything else is cosmetic. that means either the MPC or Maschine would not make your beats sound any better if you don't know how to maximize or finish beats with FL Studio alone.

If you still feel you need the hardware, I would suggest going for Maschine, it is easy to learn, and is a DAW all by itself.
In saying that, you do need the software to use it otherwise it would be an expensive Midi Controller.
You can, however, control FL Studio with Maschine. but like I said, it would be an expensive choice.

Let us know if we can help further :)

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@VCFan1001 If you really want to use FL Studio as your main software then you really only need some sort of controller. I see you got the MPD 226 so that's good. If you had of gotten the MPC 2000, that's different because it's a beatmaking machine itself and you wouldn't need FL Studio. However, you can also use the MPC 2000 as a controller like the MPD 226, but again, it's different.

I would say like @Bugsy said - learn the software inside and out first. You might decide later on you want something like the MPC 2000. It depends on your taste.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Welcome @VCFan1001 and whatever you do don't get an MPC 2K.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Fade yes I have a 2KXL but I've decided it won't be practical in today's era but I'm keeping mine as a nostalgia piece.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What are you trying to use it with? As I mentioned with the 2500, you can definitely use it today if you take the time to really learn. MIDI is your friend!

VCFan1001

@Fade do you recommend another type of software I dont live by fl studio its just the only software I have at the moment. I've heard of another software called ableton live or something dont know if I spelled it properly, is it better than fl studio? the plan was to get a mpd226 for now and once I learn more to eventually get an mpc 2000 or 2500

@OGBama your right I wanted the mpc2k for the retro feel but if its not necessary at all then I probably wont get it. What would you recommend?

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@VCFan1001 research keyboard controllers and consider space, cost, number of keys (are you a keys player, etc.).

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@VCFan1001 For DAWs you can check this thread. There's a bunch out there. Ableton is really popular right now but FL Studio is too, they both have their pros/cons.

If you want an MPC, you have to remember it's a different way of doing beats, especially with the 2000. The 1000 & 2500, at least you can get the JJOS on it, which turns it into something really modern. Either way, it's a stand-alone machine where you do everything in it. You can then do more stuff by hooking it up to your computer and using it as a controller.

VCFan1001

Anyone use Fl studio here? im trying to get a drum pattern going and cant get it through the step sequencer, is there a way I can get the pattern through clicking on the mouse or tapping on the keyboard?

Battle Points: 1
Anyone use Fl studio here? im trying to get a drum pattern going and cant get it through the step sequencer, is there a way I can get the pattern through clicking on the mouse or tapping on the keyboard?

man, there must be three thousand FL tutorials on youtube. i'd imagine that the manual itself is pretty helpful as well.

...but yeah, no need for the MPC at all these days. i use Ableton and Maschine myself, going back to an MPC would be silly. great for what it is, but you can do everything you need with just FL no problem.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
no need for the MPC at all these days. i use Ableton and Maschine myself, going back to an MPC would be silly. great for what it is, but you can do everything you need with just FL no problem.
True, but the MPC is really dope and it's great to have something hands-on. Plus it's a bonus to not have to stare at my screen and use the mouse (which I do for everything else!).

True, but the MPC is really dope and it's great to have something hands-on. Plus it's a bonus to not have to stare at my screen and use the mouse (which I do for everything else!).

of course, for which Maschine is a much more sensible solution in this case. integrates far better with what he's already using than an MPC. with Maschine i don't miss the MPC in the slightest. does all that and a hundred other things that would be impossible on an MPC.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sure, Maschine is better in his case but I'm only mentioning the MPC because it was what he was considering buying. Maschine is great but so is an MPC. Two different workflows but it all comes down to preference really.

dude obviously has no idea what he needs or even why he would consider buying an MPC other than it's a popular item that comes up regarding hip-hop production. he has no "preference", and needs to be guided away from gear that will end up causing more headache than it's worth. if he was specifically looking to "get away from the computer" then maybe it might be worth a shot. i don't think this is the case. even just a good pad or keyboard controller, along with learning FL, is the best place to start right now.

i'd only recommend an MPC to someone who knows exactly what they want it for and why. the "workflow" isn't much different at all when it comes down to it, and he'd gain much more by going with Maschine.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
He still asked about the MPC so I answered. Jeez, relax. We all know software based is better for beginners, but maybe some might want to try older gear, that's all.

members online