new memeber of ASCAP(public service announcement

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
Seoul P said:
Can you get membership online?

Thats the samething that i want to konw. And is there anything to pay for the membership?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
you can print on the forms from the site and mail them all the info is here
http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.html

Joining ascap is free,
BMI costs money , but it equals out casue ASCAP takes money from your publisihing(on the back end fee) while BMI dosent.

You got to have a valid ssn, and tax info to join as well as a song that has been recorded professionally etc... ALl the info is on the site

class....

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
Oh ok.. Thanks for the info classic. I'm thinking about joining..

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
classic said:
you can print on the forms from the site and mail them all the info is here
http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.html

Joining ascap is free,
BMI costs money , but it equals out casue ASCAP takes money from your publisihing(on the back end fee) while BMI dosent.

You got to have a valid ssn, and tax info to join as well as a song that has been recorded professionally etc... ALl the info is on the site

class....
Yo just curious...which song of urs is professionally recorded?

classic

ill o.g.
J Rilla said:
Yo just curious...which song of urs is professionally recorded?

Got a couple of tracks getting placed on live soul bands album named yamamanym They have toured all over the world..
http://outtacontrolent.com/yamamanym.html

We have recorded them at my frat brothers professinal studio in baltimore
http://outtacontrolent.com/

Its dope casue i have the oppertunitiy to replay alot of my tracks in a live band

class...

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
can anyone give mee isight on the performance things, cuz check it i had song performed at open mics and little events here and there and ive been in beat battles and i got recorded material too n i submitted a track for the new ill muzik comp. wat should i list cuz the clubs wreer little local joints and the tracks aint on a label can i get some insight

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
i think you're asking about meeting the criteria to join? if not, ignore this.

i suggest that you get a song or just a beat up on illmuzik radio. That counts as "electronic media"...thats what i did. under "website or radio atation" or something like that, all you gotta do is type Illmuzik radio and then the date it was aired.

it works for bith publisher and writer...

written by j. smith for pocket ghost music

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I was just wondering... what made you choose ASCAP over BMI?

I called SESAC, but it seems they cater more to country & western style music. (even though Chico DeBarge has his stuff published through them)

T

The Bastard

I Came Across The Site A Few Times, I Hate Legal Shit, Ill Prolly Sign Up If Sumthin Happens And I Cant Make A Move Without Havin It,DO U HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS SHIT TO LEGALLY SELL CDS OR SUTTIN?

classic

ill o.g.
joeburnem said:
I was just wondering... what made you choose ASCAP over BMI?
I called SESAC, but it seems they cater more to country & western style music. (even though Chico DeBarge has his stuff published through them)

I choose ascap casue there is no fee, BMI charges a upfront fee $300 or something like that. But dont be fooled it equals out casue when i start collecting publishing ascap will take that fee from the back end and BMI wont. So its really a matter of pay or now pay later..

Sacred One said:
ok so signing up as a writer is the same as signing up as a composer, or do u have to do both writer and publishing, cuz i'm more into the beat thing u kno, not writing

No they are seperate
Do both man(you can just check the box for both), you gotta be smart and think long term... PErsonally I write hooks for alot of my tracks so when i start selling them i get some of the writers rights as well as the composition writes. You gotta think long term, who knows you may end up writting a hook for somebody elses track, you will be entilted to publishing then but you wont be able to collect casue your only registered as a composer....

The Bastard said:
I Came Across The Site A Few Times, I Hate Legal Shit, Ill Prolly Sign Up If Sumthin Happens And I Cant Make A Move Without Havin It,DO U HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS SHIT TO LEGALLY SELL CDS OR SUTTIN?
Your my boy and all but you gotta wake the hell up, this is a busniess, if you plan on taking ur music serioiusly you have to get on top of your legal game. Anytime your music is played on the radio, TV,preformed etc.. Your entilted to money.. this is the only way to get that money. Also nobody will mess with you if you aint registered correctly becasue your not protecting yourself. It only takes 5 min to fill out so i dont see what the pain could be.

I also reccomend you cats buy the book named "everything you need to know about the music busniess" by donland passuman. It explains this and other busniess aspects in detail...

Stop being lame
Get on your legal game...

class...