• 7829729.jpg
    7829729.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 150

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
The Bastard said:
I Came Across The Site A Few Times, I Hate Legal Shit, Ill Prolly Sign Up If Sumthin Happens And I Cant Make A Move Without Havin It,DO U HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS SHIT TO LEGALLY SELL CDS OR SUTTIN?

If you dont belive in handling your the busniess..... Listen to this locs vs puff interview....
That should change your mind..

http://rapidshare.de/files/7734349/REC0000.mp3.html

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
classic said:
I choose ascap casue there is no fee, BMI charges a upfront fee $300 or something like that. But dont be fooled it equals out casue when i start collecting publishing ascap will take that fee from the back end and BMI wont. So its really a matter of pay or now pay later..

No they are seperate
Do both man(you can just check the box for both), you gotta be smart and think long term... PErsonally I write hooks for alot of my tracks so when i start selling them i get some of the writers rights as well as the composition writes. You gotta think long term, who knows you may end up writting a hook for somebody elses track, you will be entilted to publishing then but you wont be able to collect casue your only registered as a composer....

Your my boy and all but you gotta wake the hell up, this is a busniess, if you plan on taking ur music serioiusly you have to get on top of your legal game. Anytime your music is played on the radio, TV,preformed etc.. Your entilted to money.. this is the only way to get that money. Also nobody will mess with you if you aint registered correctly becasue your not protecting yourself. It only takes 5 min to fill out so i dont see what the pain could be.

I also reccomend you cats buy the book named "everything you need to know about the music busniess" by donland passuman. It explains this and other busniess aspects in detail...

Stop being lame
Get on your legal game...

class...

I honestly couldn't have said it any better myself, situations like this is what inspired me to start writing Blowing Up From the Basement in the first place.

Stop being lame,
Get on your legal game "T Shirts for Sale" (coming sooon)

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
im a member of bmi i aint never paid no fee??

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
classic said:
If you dont belive in handling your the busniess..... Listen to this locs vs puff interview....
That should change your mind..

http://rapidshare.de/files/7734349/REC0000.mp3.html

Wow, that's insane. It was kinda hard to hear the arguement and what was goin on, but when they were explaining what happened before and after, it made me want to really sign up with a publishing company. But do they actually care if I don't have a complete track done like emcee + me?

BAUSMAN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
whats the point or benifits of joining ascap... i have heard about it in songs and what not but i have no idea what it is

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
if your song gets played by a radio station or if someone wants to use it for their commercial etc, they can go to the ascap website, search and then apply to use the song through ascap. ascap charges them and pays you. (correct me if that isnt exactly right)...and its better because ascap has the ability to scan and search for people using your music way better than you can.

@seoul...i'm not completely familiarized with the registration process but i would register a track once you are done with everything and are ready to release it. maybe some of the more seasoned veterans can help in this regard...maybe you can register the instrumental under one name when youre done with that and then register the finished track as well.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
member since 2000 yes it is worth it, not unless you are actually doing major work though the main reason to be in it such as the publishing and royalties, I collected a check on a project other than that you do have access to discounts, information and seminars though, sometimes info on projects where artists are seeking producers....it is worth it but like i said unless you got some credits and getting sufficient spins and one of the main reasons to join (quarterly royalty check or own your own publishing company) its not a necessity though, many times if you do a big project you will be registered for songwriter credits (usually with a couple of other people LOL) under their(label etc) publishing and they will put your name down for credits on the project UNder their ascap member code and you will still get a check based upon the percentage of other people that were registered with credits on that song.
Here is yet another reason to spend the 35 bucks and join an organization like Dynamic Producer they have reps from all of the publishing and licensing companies on hand to explain how all of this works and answer questions about each organization, they have ASCAP, BMI and SESAC on hand every year.

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
After reading all of the posts i think that i will join... Thanks for the info everybody... Props..

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
i have a question though...whats teh process of registering songs? im ascap...as a publisher and a a writer/composer. if i wrote the lyrics and got the beat from someone else who is ascap as well, what do i do first? because i tried to register the song as the wriiter first and i had to indentify my publishing company and i couldnt get it so that the royalties also went to the producer because it requiured me to give 50% to me as writer and publisher...

any help would be great...thanks

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
classic said:
you can print on the forms from the site and mail them all the info is here
http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.html

Joining ascap is free,
BMI costs money , but it equals out casue ASCAP takes money from your publisihing(on the back end fee) while BMI dosent.

You got to have a valid ssn, and tax info to join as well as a song that has been recorded professionally etc... ALl the info is on the site

class....

im still figuring out the registration process...

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Good shit. I been meanin to send the form for months now. Been busy with moving n stuff. Will do, first thing tomorrow.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I really feel like registering to that. But what I don't understand his, how do they know you really did this and that song? Like I could register a song with a tittle i think might be used, like let's say : "Guns Talk" by 50 cent. If 50 cent happen to to that song, what'll happen????

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Agent Smith said:
i suggest that you get a song or just a beat up on illmuzik radio. That counts as "electronic media"...thats what i did. under "website or radio atation" or something like that, all you gotta do is type Illmuzik radio and then the date it was aired.

I have a website sponsered by a friend chrono.emuviews.. can I use that site instead of a radio spot?

members online