New York City - "Make Me Twice The Man"

5ivestar_nc

Battle Points: 164
Can I have feedback on mine?

Oh that's right, I don't have one. :(

Can someone teach a bredda how to sample n ting?
You already pretty much have knowledge of self as a producer, so try doing your drums and basslines first to have a groove to build off of. After that, just chop your sample over the top of the groove fr.
(thats the easiest cheat code I have for sampling cause sampling is hard af honestly its about your attitude and ear)

Can I have feedback on mine?

Oh that's right, I don't have one. :(

Can someone teach a bredda how to sample n ting?
I would say start with the sample not the drums. The sample dictates so much about where the beat will go, like swing, whether it already has drums, basslines, melodies and feel.
I would say split whatever track you are sampling into left and right channels then sample the mono channels separately, this gives you a lot more control over what you are sampling, you can pan them to taste after. Always chop on the zero crossover point to avoid clicks and pops. Filter your chops so that when you lay them over each other it doesnt get muddy and it minimizes frequency clash.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Filter your chops so that when you lay them over each other it doesnt get muddy and it minimizes frequency clash.
quite curious about this point.

sometimes im doing all sorts of mad things for isolating the left or the mid or yada yada. sometimes i spend hours chopping and making mini time stretches to fit samples (--- this time stretch thing feels wrong, as it don't feel like as it would be for the old heads doing it). no idea how everyone getting things to fit so perfect by just chopping.

5ivestar_nc

sometimes im doing all sorts of mad things for isolating the left or the mid or yada yada. sometimes i spend hours chopping and making mini time stretches to fit samples (--- this time stretch thing feels wrong, as it don't feel like as it would be for the old heads doing it). no idea how everyone getting things to fit so perfect by just chopping.
No need for it to be perfect cause in the grand scheme of anyone who mainly chop samples never cared about it being perfect. J dilla doesnt quantize, he had off beat drums and allat but it all about the feel good end results no matter the technique.

5ivestar_nc

I like to follow the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple stupid) and once I start overthinking what Im doing with a sample, I'll just walk away from it cause making beats is basically cooking food lmao you cant overseason it, just make it taste good.

sometimes i spend hours chopping and making mini time stretches to fit samples (--- this time stretch thing feels wrong, as it don't feel like as it would be for the old heads doing it). no idea how everyone getting things to fit so perfect by just chopping.
time stretching is the future, and because cubase makes it so easy is why i swear by cubase now.

No need for it to be perfect cause in the grand scheme of anyone who mainly chop samples never cared about it being perfect. J dilla doesnt quantize, he had off beat drums and allat but it all about the feel good end results no matter the technique.
there was a guy that made an album in soundforge. Its not even a daw. Because of how he made it, it was totally unquantized

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
I'm likin what you guys have made. Just started on a flip on this one. Got some late night inspiration. What's your excuse @Iron Keys? I legitimately never sample.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
That my last 7 beats have been sample flips :p

Just remembered I just won the Beat This sample flip so i can't be that bad :woot:
not gonna say I didn't enter, but i don't remember, what was the one I beat you in? despite me voting for yours and you begrudgingly not voting for mine?

ahem. Wasn't that one. That's for sure.

On a more real note, I dunno about this one. I should probably keep working on it, but I'm well past drunk, its the wee hours of saturday morning, and I'm gonna go to bed. I 100% need to pull the kick drum out of no mans land in this one, and probably un-fuck the mix. Too much effort for one night. I'll probably come back tomorrow and continue on. I'm learning the art of sampling haha. Only ever tried doing it a handful of times. Super fun though.