New York City - "Make Me Twice The Man"

@5ivestar_nc I really like this flip, smooth use of the vocal chops and nice sample layering and panning. Dope flip.
@DJ Excellence This is a dope flip in a premier style, but I think its missing something, just one more component, it needs more cowbell. Maybe a bit more variation on the drum pattern too.
@Fury Theres some flam on the snare that doesnt quite sound right and stands right out. Some of the chops could be a little cleaner at the ends too, put a fade out on them when they click, if that doesnt work adjust the chop point to a zero crossing to eliminate the clicks. I like the panning of the chops.

@iDeaLoGiK Creative use of the chops, nice use of delay. Not sure about that bass, seems a bit dissonant on some notes.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
Thanx for the feedback @2GooD Productions I do have a de-click plugin from iZotope. I have to reinstall it as I have changed PCs recently. It works like a charm.

Last edited:

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
@5ivestar_nc I really like this flip, smooth use of the vocal chops and nice sample layering and panning. Dope flip.
@DJ Excellence This is a dope flip in a premier style, but I think its missing something, just one more component, it needs more cowbell. Maybe a bit more variation on the drum pattern too.
@Fury Theres some flam on the snare that doesnt quite sound right and stands right out. Some of the chops could be a little cleaner at the ends too, put a fade out on them when they click, if that doesnt work adjust the chop point to a zero crossing to eliminate the clicks. I like the panning of the chops.

@iDeaLoGiK Creative use of the chops, nice use of delay. Not sure about that bass, seems a bit dissonant on some notes.
100% agree. In my defense I was shitfaced, and even sober I have a hard time knowing what notes to play when sampling. Kinda why i tend to steer away from it. I definitely can see why people do it though, that was a hell of a lot of fun and as far as I'm concerned was a good way to spend my night

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
@Delta_Nine 10/10 stuff. Dillaesque. Nice work!!

@2GooD Productions Smooth as always. Nice bassline. Another nice flip.

@DJ Excellence Nice flip but needs some polishing. Probably because you did it quickly. Premier type drum feel.

@5ivestar_nc Another super nice flip! Love this. Drums snap nicely and nice flip of the sample.

Last edited:

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile

Reposting because I think I figured out the off-key bassline. I dunno. My ability to pick out scales is next to nothing. Did I get it right this time?

@hosie I really like what you did with this one. Compared to mine it feels chill and the use of the chops are definitely on point. Its obvious that I really don't know what i'm doing when it comes to sampling when I hear shit like this. The biggest gripe I have is that it doesn't feel full. I'm not sure what it is. I stumble my way through shit so its hard for me to pinpoint exact causes. I really like the bassline, but I feel like it could be brought forward in the mix a bit, and the hats particularly could be brought back a bit. Otherwise what you've got here is great.

Last edited:

hosie

ILLIEN
@iDeaLoGiK I think you're way too hard on yourself and underestimate yourself somewhat too.

I think your sample flip is good but your drums let you down as they are too rigid / unatural. I think rolling / consecutive kicks or snares are hard to nail. Unless you get the volume variation just right it makes them sound odd. I think this is the case with your beat. I'd try redoing the drums over the sample to see if you feel differently. But other than that it's not a bad flip at all.

Reposting because I think I figured out the off-key bassline. I dunno. My ability to pick out scales is next to nothing. Did I get it right this time?

@hosie I really like what you did with this one. Compared to mine it feels chill and the use of the chops are definitely on point. Its obvious that I really don't know what i'm doing when it comes to sampling when I hear shit like this. The biggest gripe I have is that it doesn't feel full. I'm not sure what it is. I stumble my way through shit so its hard for me to pinpoint exact causes. I really like the bassline, but I feel like it could be brought forward in the mix a bit, and the hats particularly could be brought back a bit. Otherwise what you've got here is great.

We all stumble through things until they start making sense, that only comes with experience and practice. Practice is just stumbling through shit until you get it right

That bassline sounds a lot better now, really like the changeup at 0:44

Last edited:
Finally got round to flipping this one

Nothing here yet.
this has a nice vibe, i think you really could make more out of the bass in the sample, duplicate the sample track, but cut the top end off at about 150-200hz on the duplicate, give the eq a boost at 60 hz, add some saturation and compression and then cut below 150-200hz on the original sample track and mix in the duplicate to taste to boost the low end.

hosie

ILLIEN
this has a nice vibe, i think you really could make more out of the bass in the sample, duplicate the sample track, but cut the top end off at about 150-200hz on the duplicate, give the eq a boost at 60 hz, add some saturation and compression and then cut below 150-200hz on the original sample track and mix in the duplicate to taste to boost the low end.

Thanks mate. I've did this quite a bit recently with a few beats. Although I'm trying to dial back the saturation and compression as I tend to go to town on them both. I've started using the Fruity Lover Lowpass which lifts the bass without being too harsh on the track.

Thanks mate. I've did this quite a bit recently with a few beats. Although I'm trying to dial back the saturation and compression as I tend to go to town on them both. I've started using the Fruity Lover Lowpass which lifts the bass without being too harsh on the track.
saturation and compression are a lot like reverb and womens makeup...less is more

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
@iDeaLoGiK I think you're way too hard on yourself and underestimate yourself somewhat too.

I think your sample flip is good but your drums let you down as they are too rigid / unatural. I think rolling / consecutive kicks or snares are hard to nail. Unless you get the volume variation just right it makes them sound odd. I think this is the case with your beat. I'd try redoing the drums over the sample to see if you feel differently. But other than that it's not a bad flip at all.
Word. I'd rather underestimate myself than be a bloviating fool though. Especially when it comes to something that I have only done a handful of times. Having said that, I really do like the choice in chops that you used and the way you used them and I do think that its significantly better than what I made while reaching out in the dark when it comes to using samples.

I agree though, about the drums. I think it could work with some tweaks by hand to make it less exact with time. I obviously just used the sequencer in FL and left it as is. Maybe a touch of swing would help too. It was like 6 or 7 am when i uploaded it the first time.

We all stumble through things until they start making sense, that only comes with experience and practice. Practice is just stumbling through shit until you get it right

That bassline sounds a lot better now, really like the changeup at 0:44
For sure. I mean there's something to be said about everyone kind of stumbling onto things making music in a way. I don't know about the rest of you, but I never really have a set plan when I jump into things, and what I make is very fluid in the sense that I may have ideas on how I want it to sound but I kind of experiment with different things until I find something I like and 9 times out of 10 the final product is nothing like my preconception would have suggested. Hell sometimes the beat evolves to the point that it doesn't even have the same initial loop to begin with. Although having said that I was specifically talking about sampling which is something I never do, so I really was stumbling through it.

As for the bassline, G major sounded right the night of, its obviously not, but its close enough that I didn't notice until you mentioned it. Even after the fact it took changing the key manually in FL to find all of it. The bassline, particularly in the "verse" section has a lot of quick notes that are hard to catch for me. I don't have the best ear for it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I never really have a set plan when I jump into things, and what I make is very fluid in the sense that I may have ideas on how I want it to sound but I kind of experiment with different things until I find something I like and 9 times out of 10 the final product is nothing like my preconception would have suggested. Hell sometimes the beat evolves to the point that it doesn't even have the same initial loop to begin with.
Welcome to the club mate. Thats sampling for you.

members online