No user upgrades for Maschine

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
With the announcement of the Maschine MK3, I've seen a lot of comments on various sites about whether or not current MK1 or MK2 owners can get an upgrade option.

The answer from NI is - nope.

Now, of course it's business and businesses are trying to make money - I get that. Some may argue that it's a new product so if you want it, you have to pay full price for it. Sure, I understand.

However, what I don't understand is how there's no upgrade option at all. I know it's both hardware and software together, but it's still the same product line: MK1 --> MK2 --> MK3.

But check this out:

reason.jpg

From the Reason website, it clearly shows that if you currently own Reason and want to upgrade to version 9, there's an option for that. They're not forcing you to buy the full version all over again.

With Native Instruments, there is no option at all. Maschine is a hardware unit plus software, and even if the MK3 comes with a different version, it doesn't matter. It's still on the same product line, so essentially it should be an upgrade. I've seen on their forums where many are saying, "it's only $599". Hold on. That's U.S. pricing. In Canada it's $799. Plus there's tax. Shipping. So for me it could cost over $900! How is that fair?

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about it because I think NI should give their customers upgrades.

What do you think about this? Not just with NI but with any company that doesn't give upgrades?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yea that's some BS. FL studio is free updates for life.
You buy it once.
Now they are just going to abandon updates for everyone who bought the Studio or mk2 ?
I wasn't planning on buying a new one anyway. Now I think I might. But an MPC instead.
I'll definitely never buy a keyboard from NI
Shit, I didn't know FL was for life!? That's dope.

NI never had upgrades but I just think with their huge user base that they would, in order to keep customers happy.

If you mean updates to the software, that they give you, but I'm talking about a new product, which I think should still qualify somewhat as an upgrade.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Fade this is why I'll never mess w/NI period. @tomkillsjerry I wish FL had a Mac version.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
See that's the argument everyone has that since hardware is involved there shouldn't be an upgrade price. I think their should be given that it's the same product line using the same software. From what I saw on their forums when someone said that they jumped all over them like it was blasphemy lol.

Let's say someone bought the MPC Studio and then the Studio Black came out. I think it's fair that they get an upgrade or at least there should be a buy back program of sorts.

Ovacean

Just call me Ov.
Battle Points: 2
Im gonna get the Mk3 and sell the Mk2. Boom.

The upgrade from Maschine 1 to Maschine 2 was discounted for those that already had the hardware. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon because everything i make in maschine or anything else NI is drag n drop when i dj and wanna load up my remix/stems decks. AND F***************CK serato. lolol. thats a whole different story

DJWIDEBODY

Beatmaker
Yea that's some BS. FL studio is free updates for life.
You buy it once.
Now they are just going to abandon updates for everyone who bought the Studio or mk2 ?
I wasn't planning on buying a new one anyway. Now I think I might. But an MPC instead.
I'll definitely never buy a keyboard from NI
man Akai still hasn't fully released the 2.0 version for around a year now and i think you are going to have to pay for the 2.0 as well if u ahave the 1.8