Probably the Best Music Theory Site !!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Booooooooooooo! Hissssssssssssss! LOL
thats why I have no trouble coming up with songs(mostly), but I dont think about shit like that lol.
If I had to think all technical nothing would get done, thats waaayyy to much to worry about.
My music theory consists of: Crack beer open , turn on mp,put on record or cd, find sounds,(if on Triton then put hand on keyboard,look away let hand find groove,program groove,add other shit) make beat,mix beat, put beat in showcase.
Following those guys formula is too damn structured.I dont think its possible to make good hiphop following that.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Theory only describes what's already there. In sciences such as physics, its the same shit. Newton's laws are not really "laws" as such, they are just a way of describing what is going on in the universe. Same applies to music. You could just about make up your own theory by playing garbage!

As such, theory is not the end all solution. But it can help get things done alot quicker. For example if you usually do bridges by feel on the keys, once you know the theory behind what you usually do anyway, you sort of have a formula and the next time you do a track, you can get the bridge done in seconds, as opposed to wondering all over the keyboard trying to find the right key to modulate to or whatever.

Many of the great old composers had some kind of formulas that helped them write music alot faster, Beethoven being one of them. So theory is a double edged sword. You don't want to have a stagnant sound by following it too much, but if you have a signature sound, more than often you are repeating certain patterns and anyone could come along break down your music to some "theory" and a set of rules.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Theory only describes what's already there. In sciences such as physics, its the same shit. Newton's laws are not really "laws" as such, they are just a way of describing what is going on in the universe. Same applies to music. You could just about make up your own theory by playing garbage!

As such, theory is not the end all solution. But it can help get things done alot quicker. For example if you usually do bridges by feel on the keys, once you know the theory behind what you usually do anyway, you sort of have a formula and the next time you do a track, you can get the bridge done in seconds, as opposed to wondering all over the keyboard trying to find the right key to modulate to or whatever.

Many of the great old composers had some kind of formulas that helped them write music alot faster, Beethoven being one of them. So theory is a double edged sword. You don't want to have a stagnant sound by following it too much, but if you have a signature sound, more than often you are repeating certain patterns and anyone could come along break down your music to some "theory" and a set of rules.

Which is funny because I was going to put a footnote mentioning you, the piano lessons threads etc.. I agree with you I mean knowledge is power always ,
but even as of late we have people fully trained in music theory and how to play piano and they cant make a song, rap or otherwise, because they have too many rules programmed in them..
If you know all the stuff and dont have imagination to combine it with and your not using these tools as a way to get the music in your head , out to a media that allows other people to hear it as well then all of it is worthless. Yes?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Which is funny because I was going to put a footnote mentioning you, the piano lessons threads etc.. I agree with you I mean knowledge is power always ,
but even as of late we have people fully trained in music theory and how to play piano and they cant make a song, rap or otherwise, because they have too many rules programmed in them..
If you know all the stuff and dont have imagination to combine it with and your not using these tools as a way to get the music in your head , out to a media that allows other people to hear it as well then all of it is worthless. Yes?

glad the sites back up again i thought there was a lot of good stuff on there !

if people with music theory can't make a decent beat thats not because they know theory its because they are no good at making beats being good at theory doesnt make you good at making beats what it does give you is a load of knowledge that you can use to your advantage if you choose too !
also just because you don't know music theory and you beats sound good you shouldnt just dismiss learning music theory !
its not a set of rules that stop you from making music a certain way as some people think infact most of the time if people sit down and learn it, it gives you more ways of creating music !

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
if people with music theory can't make a decent beat thats not because they know theory its because they are no good at making beats being good at theory doesnt make you good at making beats what it does give you is a load of knowledge that you can use to your advantage if you choose too !
also just because you don't know music theory and you beats sound good you shouldnt just dismiss learning music theory !
its not a set of rules that stop you from making music a certain way as some people think infact most of the time if people sit down and learn it, it gives you more ways of creating music !

No I agree with you that music theory knowledge is good to have..
Im just saying you can have plenty of book smarts and not make it in the streets but have plenty of street smarts and still be able to read a book..
Does that make sense?

O

open mind

@MarkN
ok man iam from the street and i want some knowledge but THE FUCKING LINK STILL DOESNT WORK HOW THE HELL CAN U SAY "OH GOOD THAT IT WORKS AGAIN"

http://www.chordmaps.com/
doestn work!

DO U HAVE ALTERNATIVE LINK FOR THE STREETZ?
:D

members online