Radio Frequencies Being Picked Up in Studio Monitors

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
Man...I'm still having issues with this and it is still annoying. I bought a Furman SS6B Surge Protector and upgraded to some balanced audio cables that I picked up from a local Guitar Center because they suggested that this would help fix the issue, but I'm still getting a pretty audible pick up of radio frequencies in my studio monitors.

Just as an FYI, I've got my Omega Lexicon with older versions of the M-Audio Studiophile BX5s as my set up.

Any help with this? I'm not really sure what the issue is at this point.

Koey

ILLIEN
Hmm I did a quick search of what power conditioners are. They seem pretty hefty. Do you have any recommendations on one for a small home studio?

Yeah I think the cables are from Live Wire and they're 5 feet. The radio frequencies are picked up whenever my speakers are on and plugged into my audio interface - no matter if I'm playing any audio through them or not.

Koey

ILLIEN

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
There is of course no guarantee that it will fix everything. But power conditioning is something every studio needs anyway. It made a HUGE difference in mine (solved a lot of interference issues for me). If this doesn't solve your problem then you have an issue in your interface and you would need to replace it. The Omega is pretty dated anyway. But I would start with this.

Koey

ILLIEN
So I replugged everything back into the Furman power conditioner that you recommended, it helped reduce the volume level of the radio frequencies coming in through my studio monitors, but it still is coming through. Is the next possible solution to upgrade my audio interface or could the studio monitors be the issue?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
It's possible. The bad news is that you may not have properly shield/grounded electrical outlets. So at some point it may be difficult to completely solve. I doubt it is the monitors, but maybe. Is there any way you could borrow a different brand from a friend and test? I would hate for you to spend money and not get the results you wanted.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Do you have a power strip that has a ground led indicator? I had an issue years ago where my outlet wasn't even grounded so the led was always lit. I moved. Not because of that, but I'm not there anymore so I didn't actually solve anything lol. But yeah, if you have a strip like that, that would probably tell you.

Koey

ILLIEN
How many inputs and outputs do you need? Whats your budget?

I'm okay with something between $200-$500, but I'd rather stay closer to mid and lower part of that range.

Do you have a power strip that has a ground led indicator? I had an issue years ago where my outlet wasn't even grounded so the led was always lit. I moved. Not because of that, but I'm not there anymore so I didn't actually solve anything lol. But yeah, if you have a strip like that, that would probably tell you.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. The Furman power conditioner has a light on that says "Protection Ok." Not sure if that's what you're asking about.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If the power conditioner says it's ok then you should be good. I'm just saying if you had an extra power strip lying around that you could plug into your outlet and see if it shows the light for Ground. But it should be good.

Koey

ILLIEN
Well looks like it's time to move out lol cuz this shit is still not working even with trying the new Focusrite Scarlett that came in today - still picking up radio frequencies. On top of that, my FL Studio all of a sudden keeps crashing after I installed the Focuswrite software lol. I'm just so lost on what to do right now...

--

Fixed the issue with FL Studio. For some reason my old ASIO drivers were causing FL to crash every time I tried to go in and change it.

Not sure why this is happening but for some reason, when I go to song mode in FL, the song bar below the play, stop and record button randomly flicks forward and backward when I play my track.

Oh and thank you for the recommendation @thedreampolice. The sound quality is fucking amazing! Even though I'm still getting these annoying ass radio frequencies coming through, I think I'm still going to stick with it and sell my Lexicon Omega.

Last edited:

members online