Real vs. Fake Rappers in the Industry

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
helix said:
GangStarr. I think there real. Primo and Guru.

Primo dont need a description.

I never heard Guru say something he couldnt back up. And he's giving Boston a good name, so i gotta give him respect.

What has Guru ever said to be backed up???????Guru shouldn't be mentioned in this because he don't talk no shit about him being king of anything the best in hip hop or hip hops ultimate thug...As for K-Slay, He's a fuckin cry baby!!When his first album got shitted on he hit the radio callin out albums that was selling that he thought wasn't ass good as his
That was a true bithc move!!

As for T.I calling himself the king of the south , if nobody aint step to him about that yet it says a lot....But at the same time there are a lot of southern rappers that I feel are better than him.........Shit I think Bun B is the best souther rapper out......If anyone one of you gets a chance to check out killer Mikes album him T.I. bonecrusher and Bun B are on a song together called Reakshun(dirty version) and Bun B killed all of them on that song.....Just because a man says he's the king of the south don't mean that he is and if there is no one steppin up to prove him wrong also says a lot

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
the realest gangsta

cmon yaw we all know who the realest is !!!!!KRACK KILLZ!!

Attachments

• ODB10.jpg
    ODB10.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 195

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
wow, the big tymers REALLY SOLD DRUGS TO THE PEOPLE IN THE HOOD!!!! THEY REALLY LIVE NEEDLESSLY EXTRAVAGANT LIVES WHILE THE HOODS THAT SUPPORT THEIR MUSIC STARVE! WOW, THEY REALLY ARE GANGSTA!!!! now i feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better about things...

i was kind of worried, you know, because these guys cant be talking about these things uinless they do them. i am just relieved that there is still hope for drug dealers these days. i have SOOOOO much more respect for them now.

call me a tree hugger, but i would rather these guys talk about the ignorance and stupidity of robbing/killing/blasting/pimpin/flossin/slangin/etc., then actually doing it....

why does it become something to respect when these guys glorify the things that they actually do/did? like its something to aspire to. "you too can get rich by selling crack to other poor people in the ghetto all the while blaming everyone else for every problem the ghetto faces, then you can make a living rapping about that and the money you made, objectify women, and be a tru playa fo real!"

it all makes sense now.
All the songs werent glorifyin it, you know not everybody really has an option to do somethin that everybody else in the world would consider "honorable" there are some people who really dont care what you think of how they get their money, you know why? Because they gotta eat, why is the dope dealer such a bad person? Oh I see he must have put that pipe to the fiend's mouth and made him smoke that crack, or he chopped up the coke for the fiend and made him snort it right? No, thats not how it goes if Im sellin Im thinkin like if they dont buy it from me then there gonna go get it form somewhere else fuckit might as well put somethin in my pocket, what you think that just because I turned a dope fiend down that their not gonna get high anyway? No their gonna go down the street and get Joe Blow to sell them somethin. I dont think your a tree hugger I just think that maybe you should the inside of one of those neighborhoods full of drug deleas to see why they sell instead of passin judgement on people that do somethin that you know nothin about. As far as the music goes they tellin stories, they lived through it, and are makin money off of it legal dope whats the problem with that? Why would they sit there and tell everybody to stop pushin their drugs? They didnt, and they know that sometimes dudes just gotta do what they gotta do, no dope dealer wants to be a dope dealer all they life even when they first get in its like "I gotta find a way out to make legit money", so they tell them 'do what you gotta do but make it out tha game" and thats the realest thing that you can tell somebody caught up in that life style. Im not even gonna get into the fact that not every song they put out is about drug dealin "My Life", "They Lied to Ya", "I Know" just too many to mention try hearin and not just listenin cuz. Oh and just so you know most of the fiends arnt other people in the hood the people in the hood buy it whole sale to sell it to the rich white kids in suburbia who like to get high

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yeah... i used to live in one of those neighborhoods. and everyone there used it. out here, its speed. it isnt just the rich white kids from suburbia-the people in these places use as well. you cannot tell me otherwise; unless every neighborhood is different somehow from the ones i lived in.
to tell me i know nothing about it is rediculous when you dont know ME..... because i HAVE lived there. my mother WAS the drug addict, i KNOW what its like to do things (i never sold drugs... i robbed people.. it isnt right either way..) that i felt i had to do to help my family VERY young. i HAD friends that WERE dealers. you dont know me.... you have no clue what i know about and what i have been a part of and seen with my own eyes.

passing judgement? a spade is a spade, isnt it? everyone gets a little bothered whenever i say that PEOPLE ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEMSELVES AND ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE.

you know who i respect? people that went through things and didnt get sucked into the mentality and lifestyles these drug dealers and gangsters and pimps and whatever else these rappers glorify being. like those are some aspirations to have.... what was that on snoops first album? lil bow wow saying "i want to be a mutha#$%^ hustla"... how you going to tell me that isnt glorifying that kind of life? and yes, thats just one example. lets teach our kids to aim for the highest level of being a low-life, right? lets teach our kids to be cocky, arrogant, that the world owes them something, lets teach them that everything is all about themselves and what they want AN FORGET how it affects other people. lets teach our kids that you have to have the best everything to be cool, lets teach them that money is more valuable than knowledge, and that they should get it no matter the cost. lets teach our kids to objectify women and treat them like objects rather than people.

and no, every song by people like this isnt about dealin or pimpin or bangin, i know that. dont you think that their good positive songs somewhat contradict the rest of their music? i'm sure i'll get some response like "they are just human, nobody is perfect" or about how they are just showing the other side of things, some "yin and yang" type thinking....

people equate real to slangin dope, to bangin, to being real street, real gutter.... to going to jail. to catchin a case for armed robbery. dont sit here and act like this isnt the mentality that hip hop endorses. read any of the magazines and listen to any of the rappers at the top of the charts. read threads on this site. somehow these things are the things that earn badges of respect from people.

what about black star buying a book store that was about to close up shop? thats real. anyone listen to mos def's song "beef"?

and goldy, please dont take this personal, because allthough it was a response to your response to my post, i'm not trying to come at you. i am simply defending my position and this is what i see and how i feel.

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
^^^^No offense takin cuzin :) Im sorry about ya mama cuz cant say I understand completely but I can realte, I feel what your sayin I dont know what neighborhood you grew up in but I spent most of my life in 13th ward New Orleans the thing out there was not to get high on ya own shit, I grew up with the dealas, neva sold nothin....maybe a lil weed and a few bars but nothin more. What you say about how we potray ourselves is true but think about this, we as a whole do not control what the rest of the world sees in us through hip hop the people that control it have neva spent a day in their lives in our neighborhoods, cant relate to us, dont care about us, and want us to be seen like they show us in videos and movies, as a bunch of stupid,gangbangin, violent, dark skinned dumbasses. I hate it too but after so long of being in that the type of situation I was in my mind state switched to "I cant change the world but I can help me and mine". I dont equate real to slangin dope I equate real to actuallity If Talib's life is what he says it is then thats real, if Juve is still pushin dope (which is old now) all around the boot then thats real, if Lil John spends all his time in clubs yellin and screamin like an idiot then thats real to, my deffinition of a real rapper is one that raps about reality how they see it. i truly mos def feel what you say about changin the world how we should be and what we should be teaching our children but honestly I dont think things will ever change, its like if you grew up in a neighborhood where everybody was broke and starvin except for the dealas and jackers then those are gonna be the people you look up to because you wont want to suffer like the people who have no money thats how it was for me. As far as earnin badges for all that falseness its just like you said it translates in every hood "real recognizes real" you dont get no badges from real people if you aint real yaself ya dig?

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thats real Goldy. Only people who can understand or know the truth behind some rappers can see if they speak the truth...thats why i started the post, to see what y'all thought seperates these rappers. To me, a rea lrapper is like a reporter. if they speak about what happens in the streets by what they see or saw, it's all good. but when they act as the labels bitch by glorifyin and frontin in order to make themselves look gully, thats the problem. I also gotta point eminem as an example of goin against the grain, cause he didnt have to make his name by posing like a gangster..he just spit about how it really was, and showed he could rip the mic...he's earned his stripes without frontin, that shows a lot in todays industry

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
I think that people are real that keep it real, no matter what you talk about. There are some topics I would rather hear MCs spit about but I will respect any MC that can tell a story with a good flow. Flow being the key here. When you round up ten guys from the neighborhood, rent some cars and wear all your jewlery at once and then just yell the whole track, then you are ignoring what makes an MC stand out to me: delivery. Wordplay, originality, vocabulary. Things like these are more important to me cuz flossin skillz gains more respect in my book then flossin ice or street rep. If an MC feels the need to rep these things, it might slightly bore me cuz it has been done so much, but if they do it with flow, then they are showin they got skillz and that is the most important thing to me. I think too many people are hung up on where you come from or how hard you are, but neither of those things prove your skillz or how much love you have for the music. I didn't grow up in the hood and I guarantee that doesn't mean I have any less love for hip-hop. I think this point is finely illustrated in the track "Different Worlds" by Alchemist and Big Twin. Al didn't grow up in the hood and I would be surprised to find too many people on here denying that Alchemist has skillz. So, I guess my point is: why do people worry so much about whether someone has lived their rhymes? An MC is a story teller, my question is, are they a good story teller? As far as what the masses read into the songs, yes it is sad that so many people take these things literally and aspire to follow a negative lifestyle, but we can't hold everyone's hand and if they are too ignorant to figure out the difference between fiction and reality, then they are obviously morons. Although I would say that the role of the teacher, so often exemplified by the likes of people like KRS (who also, by the way, had a gun on the front of Criminal Minded) is a role that is more often than not lacking in hip-hop these days. So, yes, we need more teachers but we also need to take this back to skills...

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
UnOwn said:
I think that people are real that keep it real, no matter what you talk about. There are some topics I would rather hear MCs spit about but I will respect any MC that can tell a story with a good flow. Flow being the key here. When you round up ten guys from the neighborhood, rent some cars and wear all your jewlery at once and then just yell the whole track, then you are ignoring what makes an MC stand out to me: delivery. Wordplay, originality, vocabulary. Things like these are more important to me cuz flossin skillz gains more respect in my book then flossin ice or street rep. If an MC feels the need to rep these things, it might slightly bore me cuz it has been done so much, but if they do it with flow, then they are showin they got skillz and that is the most important thing to me. I think too many people are hung up on where you come from or how hard you are, but neither of those things prove your skillz or how much love you have for the music. I didn't grow up in the hood and I guarantee that doesn't mean I have any less love for hip-hop. I think this point is finely illustrated in the track "Different Worlds" by Alchemist and Big Twin. Al didn't grow up in the hood and I would be surprised to find too many people on here denying that Alchemist has skillz. So, I guess my point is: why do people worry so much about whether someone has lived their rhymes? An MC is a story teller, my question is, are they a good story teller? As far as what the masses read into the songs, yes it is sad that so many people take these things literally and aspire to follow a negative lifestyle, but we can't hold everyone's hand and if they are too ignorant to figure out the difference between fiction and reality, then they are obviously morons. Although I would say that the role of the teacher, so often exemplified by the likes of people like KRS (who also, by the way, had a gun on the front of Criminal Minded) is a role that is more often than not lacking in hip-hop these days. So, yes, we need more teachers but we also need to take this back to skills...
Fa sho skills are deffinitely important, the only place I disagree with you is on the part where it doesnt matter if they lived through it, maybe to other people who havnt lived through it it doesnt matter but I dont want to hear some dude from suburbia tellin stories about what life is like in the hood because I garuntee ya hes not going to portray what life is like there right. that doesnt really matter though because the people that actually go through it tend to be more passionate about it you can hear it in their voice. What alot of people dont think about is that hip hop started on the streets so im confused as to why people are confused when the music reflects issues on the street its gonna get rough and gangsta at times because thats what its like on the streets it aint just about lyricism its about potraying whats goin on in the world through spoken rhyme not "who can flip the syllable the best". Jumping back to my previous subject real and fake rappers lets take an example like Eminem for example he's a good mc no doubt he can flip his syllables and bring out the parts of his lyrics that he wants you to hear but is he real? i hear him talkin about murderin niggas and shit and I can look in his eyes and tell that he wouldnt strike a match in a blackout, like i said real recognizes real, real shit talk bullshit walk its simple ya dig. Now when he was on the purple pill shit and talkin about he hates his mom and the media I felt that and I could tell it was comin from his heart so I repected his mind for that ya understand?

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Goldy_C said:
Fa sho skills are deffinitely important, the only place I disagree with you is on the part where it doesnt matter if they lived through it, maybe to other people who havnt lived through it it doesnt matter but I dont want to hear some dude from suburbia tellin stories about what life is like in the hood because I garuntee ya hes not going to portray what life is like there right. that doesnt really matter though because the people that actually go through it tend to be more passionate about it you can hear it in their voice. What alot of people dont think about is that hip hop started on the streets so im confused as to why people are confused when the music reflects issues on the street its gonna get rough and gangsta at times because thats what its like on the streets it aint just about lyricism its about potraying whats goin on in the world through spoken rhyme not "who can flip the syllable the best". Jumping back to my previous subject real and fake rappers lets take an example like Eminem for example he's a good mc no doubt he can flip his syllables and bring out the parts of his lyrics that he wants you to hear but is he real? i hear him talkin about murderin niggas and shit and I can look in his eyes and tell that he wouldnt strike a match in a blackout, like i said real recognizes real, real shit talk bullshit walk its simple ya dig. Now when he was on the purple pill shit and talkin about he hates his mom and the media I felt that and I could tell it was comin from his heart so I repected his mind for that ya understand?

Yea, I feel you. That isn't really what I meant by it. I was sayin that keepin it real is one of the most important things i.e. don't front, which would include cats rhymin about shit they never experienced. I just don't have as big a problem with whether people are personalizing shit they saw out their window or whether they did their own dirt. If you grew up in the hood, report on it, but do it correctly and with some style and originality. There is nothing that I find more personally annoying then kids trying to act hard that didn't grow up that way. I just think there are too many stereotypes out there that imply: if you don't rhyme hard, don't rhyme. I guess I'm just saying, speak on whatever you feel you must as long as you really come from the heart and don't fake on shit you don't know.

ill o.g.
Goldy,
When you replied about baby and manny fresh, i never thought about it that way. You changed my view now, a little bit. But i was likin them for a while when they came out with #1 Stunna.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
The image of a real rapper is a very marketable image that has no equal.

A rapper that has been shot 9 times, or 20 times and survived, has a talking and marketing point that appeals to kids that were formerly looking to angst ridden, drug using, excess-living, rock stars of yesteryear.

Several of the real rappers, which is funny, I would consider fake, that were listed. But some of the ones that are "real," well, they have the wherewithal to focus on business and making money, which is in the best interest of all parties involved.

I think however, that the argument is kind of self-depracating.

Should individuals raise their net-worth of their community through education, they exercise more power on policy decisions, and thereby increase their overall power in a society. I think that Cold Truth could have went on that tangent.

Either way, the "hardcore gangsta" is the epitome of 21st century "tough guy" image that is continually spouted on TV and radiowaves.

Sincerely,
God

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
God said:
The image of a real rapper is a very marketable image that has no equal.

A rapper that has been shot 9 times, or 20 times and survived, has a talking and marketing point that appeals to kids that were formerly looking to angst ridden, drug using, excess-living, rock stars of yesteryear.

Several of the real rappers, which is funny, I would consider fake, that were listed. But some of the ones that are "real," well, they have the wherewithal to focus on business and making money, which is in the best interest of all parties involved.

I think however, that the argument is kind of self-depracating.

Should individuals raise their net-worth of their community through education, they exercise more power on policy decisions, and thereby increase their overall power in a society. I think that Cold Truth could have went on that tangent.

Either way, the "hardcore gangsta" is the epitome of 21st century "tough guy" image that is continually spouted on TV and radiowaves.

Sincerely,
God

Word is god. Positivity doesn't sell in a a society almost solely based on negativity. Some men feel the need to flex their muscle or show their "craziness" cuz this appeals to people without the intelligence to handle problems like mature adults. Well, so much more could be said but it has all been said before. But of course God is right as usual.