Reason actually does have 'Swing' !

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Well as most of you know...this has been one of my major complaints to tha engineering of reason, but it seems i may have been wrong all along???

I was skimming tha manual again to jus soak up a little info in my spare time and a came across a feature i have over looked for years now!...Its jus called "shuffle" in reason and is located on tha main controller bar at tha bottom (tha one with play, stop, tempo, etc..)...
Its jus a little knob that you turn in tha same fashion as tha slider in Fruity and it supposed to do tha same shit...

Problem is:
I cant seem to figure out if i got it working correctly or not?
Its really quite hard to tell if its even altering tha swing of my 16ths at all???

So, does this feature only work when you produce a beat with tha step sequencer instead of midi it out or draw it with tha pencil???
(you know what i mean, when you make tha beat with tha yeallow pattern lane instead and then turn it into notes on tha sequencer later...I often never make my beats this way)...So does it maybe only work when you use tha pattern lane?, or is it working already and that features jus sucks donkey dick?

Steezo

Decibal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah the Shuffle button gives you the swing effect in Reason. When I first used Reason, I made most my beatz with the Matrix+NNXT combo with the Matrix's Shuffle button on. The Shuffle is also on the Redrum. It definitly adds swing to your beat. Check it on the Redrum Steezo. Make a loop without it, then hit the Shuffle button on. You'll definitly notice the difference :)

Peace

dB

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
But Decibal...Does tha loop have to be created in tha step sequencer ONLY that lights up, or can you draw in you hits and then make it your loop that way also and it still should work?

heres what my shit looks like...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
heres a screenshot

Attachments

• reason.jpg
    reason.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 214

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
one thing you have to know too is that you can quantize anyway you want. Exemple; you can quantize to your really swingin' rex drum just select the part that is your "swingin' paturn" and click on "get user groove" in your "edit" menu. Than apply this user groove by selecting it in thequantize part of the sequencer...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Krzy...I do both, its usually a 50/50 thing...Sometimes i will draw it with tha pencil, and other times i will play it out on tha midi, it jus depends on what i feel like for tha track. I never use tha stepper tho...that things kinda wack...tha only benefit i found with that thing is that it tends to create quicker velocity hits since you dont have to draw them out later...

Dnt...Do you mean that if i use tha shuffle feature i did in tha screenshot, then do what your saying with tha other modules it should apply tha same shuffle to those too???

Steeze

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't really know 'cause I don't use the shuffle feature... It would be great tho. I use it more to get th "feel" of a loop on others sequence.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Hey i got it!!

Heres a screen shot:

I jus fucked around and did some simple tests and figured it out!

1. I programed a simple poo beat on tha stepper jus to see if even works at all and it did...I jus hate prgming that way. Thats things one of reasons weakest additions in my opinion.

2. I found that in 'stepper' mode, you can adjust swing/shuffle in real time to best fit your track...
Unfortunatly, in any other form - ie. tha pencil, or midi - it doesnt work in real time.:(

3. Next i made another shitt beat for my second test.
this time i drew it in with my pencil and then pondered how to make it work?...(This was my original problem)

4. I found that you cant do this in real time, but it is possibleto apply swing, it jus never hit me before...!?!?!...I always thought that "shuffle" in tha quantinize window was a preset, not an actual setting you can adjust!?!Durf!

5. So, next i highlighted all of my hits in tha sequencer lane as you can see below, and then i adjusted tha "shuffle" by guesstamating.

6. And last, i selected "shuffle" in tha quantanize selections and then hit tha quant button..

7. Wallah!!!!! Tha shit works!! Go ahead and try it if yer a Reason user, its pretty cool!

8. So after that i just kept control Zing back till i got it right...this is my major pet peave about doin it this way instead of in tha stepper....:(
Oh well, it still works!

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
:D FUCKIN AWESOME!

a while ago, i tried to do a little jazz, and it was pissin me off because i couldn't get it to swing my eighths and i was like, WHATEVA! FUCK IT! so i just stopped. sweet. so now that i know you CAN swing it, i may have to try to fuck around with that shit a little. hells yes Duece, you the man!

Muzik

SouthBound
ill o.g.
<~~~ Yo Duece !!!! Like wish i still had Reason sometimes luv tha i face
Mybe ill be able to find tha damn Rom and install it back on my machine .. Good Info .. ill try it out!! lol once i find that Damn Rom!!!