Record Shelving Recommendations

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I am looking for ideas of the best way to come up with a shelving system for my records. So far I have checked bookshelf's and dj shelves but i'm sure some of you might have searched and might know the best DJ shelf at a bookshelf price, or if building one is the best method. The 'official' dj shelfs are $300+ and hold between 300-500.. and that is too much. So before I went to furniture stores I thought to come and ask the fam.

-ct

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
interested to get some ideas too. i've got mine in milk crates, turned on their sides,o ne crate on top of another. not ideal.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
ikea always wins

Excellent direction, Mr. Smith!

After following that lead I came to find that the Ikea Expedit series looks like the best. Here is the Ikea link that you guys might find useful:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/09064/

Thanks Agent Smith,
-Chrono

Update
after looking I am going to have to find a local distributer for the Ikea Expedit (if possible).. the shipping is killer for that 5x5 cubicle..

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
no problemo...i have those shelves

They are the best option and the $199 price is right but the shipping for that is close to the same price as the unit itself. I have tried to find local distributers of Ikea but had no luck. My next move is to contact them and ask. I'd hate to buy a regular bookshelf and then it break under the weight one day.

Update

I called Ikea and if your do not live in a close drive to an Ikea Store than ordering an edpedit is pretty much out of the question. Even the smallest 2 column 8 cubes Expedit which is 79.99 costs $269.00 to ship ;[

time for more searching... it's a shame because that Ikea shelving was perfect.. next time I roadtrip I'm swoopin by an Ikea!

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I have always built shelfs right into the wall when i have built my studio rooms but when i get to my new home and build this new room i think imma just build some shelfs out of some thick plywood ..... should be way cheaper and faster job .... might only cost 30 bux for the plywood ..... might be the best option and u can always paint the plywood or add some nice wood strips to the outside of the shelfs so it has that nice wood finish look ..... u can also use that stuff they use to make speaker boxes .... the name of it is not coming to my head right now ..... but it has a smoother finish .....

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
I have always built shelfs right into the wall when i have built my studio rooms but when i get to my new home and build this new room i think imma just build some shelfs out of some thick plywood ..... should be way cheaper and faster job .... might only cost 30 bux for the plywood ..... might be the best option and u can always paint the plywood or add some nice wood strips to the outside of the shelfs so it has that nice wood finish look ..... u can also use that stuff they use to make speaker boxes .... the name of it is not coming to my head right now ..... but it has a smoother finish .....

yes, i've been considering this but with this new job and school it's going to be difficult to find the time to build it from scratch.. i'd hate to rush it and ruin the end product with invested time and material. Did you use plans and was it that difficult? I built two to three tree-houses as a kid with my friends so i'm not completely unfamiliar with construction but it has been over a decade.

thanks

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I drew up a quick pic with diff colors so u can see which way u would lay the wood .... Its rather simple and should really only take 1 hour at the most ..... I would make shelfs atleast 12 1/2 inches or more so records fit .... I do 12 1/2 so its almost perfect ..... And most of the time u could have home depot cut the peices for it and all u would do it put it together .... U would have to kinda work out what sizes u need and u could prob get all the cuts out of 2 sheets of plywood ....

Attachments

• recordshelf.jpg
    recordshelf.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 146

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
joe is right, I got shelves custom built exactly like that. Works solid, better than any shelf I've owned from ikea..

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
After looking at all my options I found this method that worked pretty well, price was right, and moving will be a cinch. I bought 6 plastic crates and stacked them up, I bought them from Staples for $6.99 a piece. The connect on all edges so this is solid and not wobbly.

071small.jpg

073small.jpg

The only issue is that 2.5 inches of the records are hanging off the edge of the crate, though the weight of each record is centered in the middle 50% and I layed small towels on the bottom of each crate.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

-Chrono

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats exactly how i have mine. my crates are deep enough so nothing is hanging out though

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Best place to get crates... from corner stores who have them out back!

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just got rid of 30 milk crates ...... I use to use them for when I move but this time I packed my records in book boxes ...... Only part of moving I dont is moving my records .... Thats why I got Mayflower moving me this time .... LoL .....

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
nice to go look in the back of the closet last night and notice that I (or someone ) has warped a whole box by placing one on top of the other

That's my problem with crates... some crates are sturdy enough to withhold the weight of records, but those are few and far between... That's why I have shelves.. I had some crates stacked (only 1 on top of each other) and the ones on the bottom got warped, not all, but quite a few... crates are good if you don't stack too high.