SERIOUS QUESTION ... Would You Pay For Placements or Features ???

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
depends. its all a cost benefit ratio...if im paying $100 to get on a dj skee or dj e-nyce, k-slay, etc mixtape that i knew would sell like an album and be seen by millions, then i'd think about it...would i pay $800 for a drop from one of them on my own mixtape? no...that's stupid.

but we all know its NOT gonna be only $100 and u gonna be the last track (some people say "but im still on the cd" thats only if people buy the OFFICIAL mixtape and most people cop bootleg mixtapes without even knowin it. and most of the time the last few tracks get cut off when mixtapes are bootlegged....take your chances)
its all payola to me, i understand the business but shit like this often comes at the expense of the people who are really WORKING on these records being promoted.
i produced two tracks for a mixtape hosted by DJ Sickamore and i was told that there was no room for the producers in the budget because Sickamore essentialy would be taking the lions share to "Host" the mixtape. This kid isnt even a real DJ and he did nothin more than squeal over all the tracks plus he aint even all that popular.
Nowadays niggas thinkin bout payin for showcases, and open mics and inflated studio time and radio spins, and magazine write ups, beat consultations (be serious...consultation?) and all this other hollywood shit that they takin producers for granted.
im the type of dude, if u got anything to do wit my project ima break bread wit u, but people is associatin theyselves wit projects they dont believe in to cash in beofre the shit loses steam. i know the back end money aint what it used to be but niggas gotta start breakin bread right.
im sick of niggas tryin to exploit every fuckin producer on the planet cuz its the thing to do right now.

if u was a break dancer and u knew u was worth BILLIONS would u pay somebody to watch u dance (in hopes of makin money)??? That dont make any sense.

i dont understand sons business though so im not attackin him in particular.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Just a discussion ... & Takes money to make money sadly and I'd gladly pay DJ _____
a $100 for a slot when everyone in my city cops his tapes and bumps them ... He's providing
a service/business and it benefits my career so why not ??? ... I'm all for the "You should
play my music because you like it not cause I paid" but i'm not going the grass routes indie
way or plan on sticking to just a niche fanbase ... I'm the business of making hott music
and getting heard and if it helps why not ... If I pay for a slot and everyone loves the track
eventually he's gonna start picking up my tracks on his own.

I already get on a bucnha of mixtapes with produced tracks w/artists so this is all just example ...
Can't act like artists don't pay for promo, mag features (Not all is mags reaching out), other
artists and etc.

Just curious to see the ill fams take on this because we were discussing it thats all.

Thanks for the responses guys !

H&R and everybody else that would consider this...Let's look at it in a bigger picture then...these certain DJ's can garuantee you get played and get heard, I give them that and thats great promotion for you, but in real business, who promotes you? - your label promotes you! Thats their job.

So what has happened here is the DJ has assumed the role of your promoter and thinks he should get paid for that...wrong answer!...Here's another wrong answer, lets take this one step futher, say you wanted a live acoustic guitar on your track, should the guitar player pay you to put his work on your ish?

If thats the case, then let's call up Pete Rock, 9th Wonder and Premo, tell them you're putting a new CD together and they should pay you to let them produce on it. IN-fugging-SANE!

Do these DJ's critic the work before they play it? If so, when does it stop being about promoting and become about making money? I can't imagine any A&R (the REAL key to getting in the music industry) taking these cats seriously...you have to ask yourself that question. It's easy to say that doing this will create a buzz but whats really happening is these cats are ruinning the game. Lets keep it real! NEVER sell yourself out!

If you make a product, you should get paid for your time and work on it, you shouldn't pay to get played and (I'm not talking about your music), I'm talking about YOU, cause if you give a DJ one penny - you got played!

Read this question carefully...What are the people REALLY buying mixtapes for? The DJ or who the DJ has on the CD?

one,
dac

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I think it could be a good investment when you what the conditions are..

Which spot will you get on the tape?
How many peeps is gonna buy/dl or even hear the tape?
Will it get some national exposure in magazines and or websites?

If so, and it is on national websites... i'd invest in a featured article too.. This would probably be the best exposure as you could use it for several occassion and peeps would assume that it was legit, they assume you did not pay for the article..

my 2 cents..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
H&R and everybody else that would consider this...Let's look at it in a bigger picture then...these certain DJ's can garuantee you get played and get heard, I give them that and thats great promotion for you, but in real business, who promotes you? - your label promotes you! Thats their job.

So what has happened here is the DJ has assumed the role of your promoter and thinks he should get paid for that...wrong answer!...Here's another wrong answer, lets take this one step futher, say you wanted a live acoustic guitar on your track, should the guitar player pay you to put his work on your ish?

If thats the case, then let's call up Pete Rock, 9th Wonder and Premo, tell them you're putting a new CD together and they should pay you to let them produce on it. IN-fugging-SANE!

Do these DJ's critic the work before they play it? If so, when does it stop being about promoting and become about making money? I can't imagine any A&R (the REAL key to getting in the music industry) taking these cats seriously...you have to ask yourself that question. It's easy to say that doing this will create a buzz but whats really happening is these cats are ruinning the game. Lets keep it real! NEVER sell yourself out!

If you make a product, you should get paid for your time and work on it, you shouldn't pay to get played and (I'm not talking about your music), I'm talking about YOU, cause if you give a DJ one penny - you got played!

Read this question carefully...What are the people REALLY buying mixtapes for? The DJ or who the DJ has on the CD?

one,
dac

meh...
stop smokin...2 words...
fifty. cent...
Prolly paid in the start to get on some.Whole career made off of mixtapes.

Altho, I dont entirely disagree with you, when we were workin on the Child Abuse LP cats were like "Put out a mixtape" I was like wth is that? If we are gonna record over other peoples beats , thats dumb, why not record over our own? We MAKE beats and rhymes, we should push US.. so I mean I feel ya , but the otherside of the coin makes sense if your pushing yourself as an artist. Im looking at this whole thread from an MC perspective.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Aight then...heres what i have to offer. I have access to around 5000 bang'n clubs here in the southeast from NC to Fla. I will even dedicate a premiere spot just for you on my next mixtape. I assure you that this CD will be heard by hundreds of thousands of potential investors, A&R's throughout the business and many others associated with the game.

You will recieve an authentic "Certificate of You Just Got Played"
You will also recieve NO money for your efforts! - Who can match that?
AND...
As a bonus I will personally send you a 10oz container of VASELINE!

limited time only...(and for a meeeeesly $50 more)...I will even give you ccredit on the back of the mixtape for being a sucka!

all rights reserved and this CD will be labeled "for personal use only" to protect you from any copyright infringement issues...

SEND ME $200 NOW!
$250 for the credit on back!

I accept PayBuddy and money orders only!

ACT NOW!

dac

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Aight then...heres what i have to offer. I have access to around 5000 bang'n clubs here in the southeast from NC to Fla. I will even dedicate a premiere spot just for you on my next mixtape. I assure you that this CD will be heard by hundreds of thousands of potential investors, A&R's throughout the business and many others associated with the game.

You will recieve an authentic "Certificate of You Just Got Played"
You will also recieve NO money for your efforts! - Who can match that?
AND...
As a bonus I will personally send you a 10oz container of VASELINE!

limited time only...(and for a meeeeesly $50 more)...I will even give you ccredit on the back of the mixtape for being a sucka!

all rights reserved and this CD will be labeled "for personal use only" to protect you from any copyright infringement issues...

SEND ME $200 NOW!
$250 for the credit on back!

I accept PayBuddy and money orders only!

ACT NOW!

dac

lmao... but seriously though.. i don't see anything wrong with investing a few dollars to get dropped on a tape that gets you major exposure.. If that name is DJ Drama, wouldn't you invest a few bucks?

I don't think he's gonna put you or me, or the next cat on without getting paid.. Or music is replacable.. even though a lotta cats on ill is bringin' heat, u can't make the difference on music and appearance alone.. Sadly, u gotta bring along some dollars or a huge buzz.. Or he'll pick the next cat who does pay..

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
hahahaha, you're spot on there Dacalion. This pay to get played shit is ridiculous.

Djs already get payed.....for their jobs. They're just taking advantage of those desperate for exposure, fame, success etc.....like Dac said no one's asking Pete Rock to pay to be on a mix tape.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
DJ's already get payed for their jobs??? Mixtape DJ's make Mixtapes.. that's their job.. !! Beatmakers make beats..

U want to get paid don't you? Sorry, but you're missing the point here..
He's talking bout big industry names, who have Mixtapes as their only source of income..

So they need to get cash from that..

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
lmao... but seriously though.. i don't see anything wrong with investing a few dollars to get dropped on a tape that gets you major exposure.. If that name is DJ Drama, wouldn't you invest a few bucks?

I don't think he's gonna put you or me, or the next cat on without getting paid.. Or music is replacable.. even though a lotta cats on ill is bringin' heat, u can't make the difference on music and appearance alone.. Sadly, u gotta bring along some dollars or a huge buzz.. Or he'll pick the next cat who does pay..

if he's charging you its cuz he thinks he's doing you the (favor).. Either way you gotta decide if you gonna gain from this if the answer is yes then do it.. if you feel the songs can get you more bizness around your hood do it....

i will say its not the norm for dj's to charge producers. its usually indy labels..

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Don't they sell these mixtapes or am I missing something?

Is getting payment from producers the base of their income? If so that's a pretty pathetic living

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I think this is more beneficial for the emcee then a producer. AND, it depends on the DJ like LE said. If Kay Slay wants $300 to drop a cut of yours on his tape, then I think it's a good move,,,for an emcee. As for a producer, I don't see a benefit from it.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Again like others say i think paying to get played is ridiclous... it takes away more creditabliltity from an already corrupt process.. You already see what the whole "Paying for shine" has done to the credibilitity of mag's like the source and XXL. Expect to see this in mixtapes as well(its already happening).. Plus to me its just plane wrong.. Im the freaking Talent.. why do i have to Pay YOU to put MY music on YOUR CD... thats just backwards to me... Without the producers there would be no mixtape..

Im not trying to take a premaddonna stance.. but cats gotta stand up and belive that there product is worth something.. I think alot of the DJ's get away with this stuff becasue producers let them.. Have pride in your work and grind harder..

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Have to say, i'm feeling the argumentation on the contra to...

For an mc, to get that shine it's reasonable.. As a producer you'd probably just get cut out of the chain and they'll go at business with your artist.

Unless you can produce a major artist and get your game on!

themucka

ill o.g.
Again like others say i think paying to get played is ridiclous... it takes away more creditabliltity from an already corrupt process.. You already see what the whole "Paying for shine" has done to the credibilitity of mag's like the source and XXL. Expect to see this in mixtapes as well(its already happening).. Plus to me its just plane wrong.. Im the freaking Talent.. why do i have to Pay YOU to put MY music on YOUR CD... thats just backwards to me... Without the producers there would be no mixtape..

Im not trying to take a premaddonna stance.. but cats gotta stand up and belive that there product is worth something.. I think alot of the DJ's get away with this stuff becasue producers let them.. Have pride in your work and grind harder..

it takes money to make money.. even tho interscope got 50 cent they still got 2 pay to promote him..... thats all mixtape dj's are street promoters.. i understand your stance if its to an Artist and you a producer that wants to be compensated for your work.. but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices for the bigger picture..

Not everyone is in the same position as the next man... and this is a bizness (aswell) and leverage is a key negotiation tactics.. labels give away free albums to the radio and erryone else..

granted this seems a lil pettier a scenrio i kno when Kay Slay was realling hold it down.. he was charging 3-5gs for a track that he wasnt looking for to fill up the tape..

i say yes only cuz 300 seems really cheap and at the end of the day he's got to learn thru experience..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
And again I see both sides, as an MC I think its an awsome deal if Drama puts you on a mixtape for $300..

If its somthing you can do yourself around town then do that instead of paying for it..
From a producer stand point, make your mixtape and sell it around town.
Drama Boi understands that you gotta pay for promotion , and that its worth it if they do it right.
But he's putting out his own shit , like I said, even H&R puts out his own thing..
I think maybe the original question was posed to see if its a good idea to charge people to be on a mixtape! LOL

classic

ill o.g.
it takes money to make money.. even tho interscope got 50 cent they still got 2 pay to promote him..... thats all mixtape dj's are street promoters.. i understand your stance if its to an Artist and you a producer that wants to be compensated for your work.. but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices for the bigger picture..

Not everyone is in the same position as the next man... and this is a bizness (aswell) and leverage is a key negotiation tactics.. labels give away free albums to the radio and erryone else..

granted this seems a lil pettier a scenrio i kno when Kay Slay was realling hold it down.. he was charging 3-5gs for a track that he wasnt looking for to fill up the tape..

i say yes only cuz 300 seems really cheap and at the end of the day he's got to learn thru experience..

True.. i can see that as well.. but your mentinoed 50cent there is a big difference between a rapper/artists paying to be on the mixtape circut and a producer. And artist has a voice and can rhyme over anything.. .The nature of the producer is to provide the music for that voice to be heard... I have yet to hear of a producer making it in the game by PAYING to be on other cats mixtapes... Now i could be wrong on that so correct me if i am... But like i said there is a big different between artist's paying on mixtapes and producers...

And thats where my line in the sand is... For me as a producer to pay a DJ so they could use my tracks still sounds "bass akwards" to me .... Now im not saying dont pay for promtion, everyone needs to pay there dues.. but to pay for placement like that seems like cats dont value there product ... Enlighten me folks..

themucka

ill o.g.
True.. i can see that as well.. but your mentinoed 50cent there is a big difference between a rapper/artists paying to be on the mixtape circut and a producer. And artist has a voice and can rhyme over anything.. .The nature of the producer is to provide the music for that voice to be heard... I have yet to hear of a producer making it in the game by PAYING to be on other cats mixtapes... Now i could be wrong on that so correct me if i am... But like i said there is a big different between artist's paying on mixtapes and producers...

And thats where my line in the sand is... For me as a producer to pay a DJ so they could use my tracks still sounds "bass akwards" to me .... Now im not saying dont pay for promtion, everyone needs to pay there dues.. but to pay for placement like that seems like cats dont value there product ... Enlighten me folks..

I GUESS I DIDNT READ THE CATS SHIT PROPERLY... IF YOU PAYING DJ TO PLACE A (BEAT ONLY) FOR A BEAT THATS A BAD MOVE... I THOUGHT HE PRODUCED A RECORD AND AS A PRODUCER HE WAS REACHING OUT...

THATS A SON MOVE IF HE MAKING YOU PAY TO PLACE A BEAT....

classic

ill o.g.
I GUESS I DIDNT READ THE CATS SHIT PROPERLY... IF YOU PAYING DJ TO PLACE A (BEAT ONLY) FOR A BEAT THATS A BAD MOVE... I THOUGHT HE PRODUCED A RECORD AND AS A PRODUCER HE WAS REACHING OUT...

THATS A SON MOVE IF HE MAKING YOU PAY TO PLACE A BEAT....

Yea.. thats what im thinking as well.. again i could be wrong but i read it as your paying a DJ to use your beat with whatever artist he chooses....

H&R is this the case?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^ classic I think u got it twisted .. yeah the way u described it is def retarded lol .... I thought we were talking about a finished product ( completed song already laced w/ vocals, ready to go) ....... lol @ ANYONE who would pay to have a beat placed on a mixtape without even knowing what was to become of it .. any respectable dj wouldnt even make such an offer anyways ..... anything of that nature is a definte scam ... beats dont get u hot anyway.. songs get u hot. If all u got is beats then a mixtape is just silly .. ur better off going to Istandard or redbullbigtune or ISA or something and trying to battle.. those are legit places you can battle/showcase your music for very little money.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I thought we were talking about a completed track with vocals as well.

If you paying just to put a beat on a record..... no. If that's the case just produce a compilation and put it out yourself.

members online