SERIOUS QUESTION ... Would You Pay For Placements or Features ???

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I'm almost sure with what H&R has let us see and hear up to this point that it's a complete song. I don't think anybody but a few who have commented was thinking otherwise.

Shit....I don't even know any mix tape Dj's that work like that! It's completely foreign to me and any producer with common sense would not work in that fashion.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I'm almost sure with what H&R has let us see and hear up to this point that it's a complete song. I don't think anybody but a few who have commented was thinking otherwise.

Shit....I don't even know any mix tape Dj's that work like that! It's completely foreign to me and any producer with common sense would not work in that fashion.

You will be surpised.. I got hit up by atleast 5 Mixtape wannbe DJ's on mypace asking For either free beats or for me To pay for beat placelment with their "artist" on their mixtape..(more then 5 now that i think about it way.. more) I will try and find the messages.. This is why i was so against it.. of course most people with commense would be against this.. but there is always some poor dumb bastard who falls into this trap...hence why there are so many sharks out there..

With that being said i misread the inital post... Now if we are talking about a complete song.. Im still very against the idea.. But i would be open to hear options....It would really depend on the caliber of DJ and what they are offereing me.

To me Mixtapes are all about building personal realtionships and paying somebody upfront just to be on there mixtape does not translate to a 2 way reationship in my eyes... Its more of a hustle.. So if the right cat comes along i wont say ill "never" do it but for the most part its still a bad idea and a waste of time..

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^ like i said .. many rappers have the same attitude you have about djs when it comes to getting beats from producers. saying you would never pay a dj for promo is kinda like a rapper sayin he will never pay for beats because his flow is so hot. ...... and weve all seen that before...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
You will be surpised.. I got hit up by atleast 5 Mixtape wannbe DJ's on mypace asking For either free beats or for me To pay for beat placelment with their "artist" on their mixtape..(more then 5 now that i think about it way.. more) I will try and find the messages.. This is why i was so against it.. of course most people with commense would be against this.. but there is always some poor dumb bastard who falls into this trap...hence why there are so many sharks out there..

With that being said i misread the inital post... Now if we are talking about a complete song.. Im still very against the idea.. But i would be open to hear options....It would really depend on the caliber of DJ and what they are offereing me.

To me Mixtapes are all about building personal realtionships and paying somebody upfront just to be on there mixtape does not translate to a 2 way reationship in my eyes... Its more of a hustle.. So if the right cat comes along i wont say ill "never" do it but for the most part its still a bad idea and a waste of time..

I feel you but I don't think many people look at as such a "personal relationship". That's a bit much in my opinion (no need to explain what u mean by that)! As I and many others have already stated, unless it's a reputable Dj we wouldn't do it. No way I'm even finishing the email if it some "nobody" who hit me up from myspace. If you're going to contemplate doing it I strongly suggest it be a city, state or regional "reputable" Dj unless it's being released nation or worldwide.

In my opinion the whole game is a hustle in one way or another. For one, it's just a couple hundred bucks! If people are this touchy about this subject I don't know if they should be producing music for anything more than it being a personal hobby. I won't even begin to add up how much money I've spent in some form or another dealing with this music and got absolutely nothing out of it. I'm sure a lot of catz who have been at this for as long as I have can say the same. I'm not saying I got it like that and just throw money to the wind but a few hundred bucks won't make or break me!

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 152
All in all this would just be another method of marketing, and it would work as long as a lot of people are gettin that mixtape and seeing ur credits. It's gotta be good, it's promotion, so why not pay. Obviously the basic first thing is to get ur track to be great quality so whoever listens is gonna be craving to hear more from you.

I wouldn't pay a DJ to do this, but only cos I don't believe my tracks are good enough yet. But that's me at the moment. When i'm ready i'll be hitting up things like this if they're available. But you can't expect to pay and get results just from the method itself, you gotta have the heat.. this way (and pretty much every way) is not gonna work as a shortcut. So anyway, if you have the money, sure pay for it, but only if you strongly know ur track is gonna get a reaction.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
I have yet to hear of a producer making it in the game by PAYING to be on other cats mixtapes... Now i could be wrong on that so correct me if i am... But like i said there is a big different between artist's paying on mixtapes and producers...

I know a couple producers that I associate with that were getting slots on a couple DJ's tapes
and their name started 2 be seen and noticed ... Lead to some sales and one of the producers
has 2 tracks with Sheek & Styles [LOX/DBLOCK] now and a couple of the others have some credible
names as well ... You have to be deep in the scene for it to work really so you can network with
other DJ's and artists at the same time will your track is making the rounds ... You pay for DJ _____
slot on his tape ... The hit up DJ so & so like "Check my track out is making the rounds int he mixtape
circuit DJ ____ has been spinnin it if your feeling it play it" ... Then DJ so & so likes it sees it gettin
spin else where and decideds to play it as well ... Its a game/business liek it or not and you gotta know
how to play it to benefit you ... Its not for everyone though you have to fit the mixtape scene.

Yea.. thats what im thinking as well.. again i could be wrong but i read it as your paying a DJ to use your beat with whatever artist he chooses....

H&R is this the case?

NO lol ... Never pay to give a DJ your beat for him/her to get an artist on ... I'm talking a full completed
song with an artist produced by you and on the mixtape tracklist it will say "ARTIST - SONG (PROD BY YOU")"

Good discussion !

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I know a couple producers that I associate with that were getting slots on a couple DJ's tapes
and their name started 2 be seen and noticed ... Lead to some sales and one of the producers
has 2 tracks with Sheek & Styles [LOX/DBLOCK] now and a couple of the others have some credible
names as well ... You have to be deep in the scene for it to work really so you can network with
other DJ's and artists at the same time will your track is making the rounds ... You pay for DJ _____
slot on his tape ... The hit up DJ so & so like "Check my track out is making the rounds int he mixtape
circuit DJ ____ has been spinnin it if your feeling it play it" ... Then DJ so & so likes it sees it gettin
spin else where and decideds to play it as well ... Its a game/business liek it or not and you gotta know
how to play it to benefit you ... Its not for everyone though you have to fit the mixtape scene.

NO lol ... Never pay to give a DJ your beat for him/her to get an artist on ... I'm talking a full completed
song with an artist produced by you and on the mixtape tracklist it will say "ARTIST - SONG (PROD BY YOU")"

Good discussion !

I knew that was the case. People who follow the moves you've been making didn't think any other way. Good luck on that slot H. You've been making all the right moves so far from what you've shared on the forums. I'm sure this one is no diff't! Stay crackin'!

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90

Good discussion !

Most def then to each his own.. again Im not for it... but your definalty one of the cats i see grinding so going on that note i would consider it... Your right too on the mixtape thing to, you have to fit in the MIXTAPE scene as well which is an entrily different anmial to itself..
either way i think its just a matter of approach as long as people realise there is more then one way to skin a cat get your hustle on.....It also depends on the market that your in as well..

Class...

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I don't think the issue is whether you're willing to spend money to promote yourself; as far as I can see those who have an objection to this object on ethical grounds. I know I certainly do. No diss to anyone but if, as the example given earlier said, people in the South have to pay to get played etc, and it's all about the hustle then that must be one of the reasons so much of that shitty one hit wonder stuff is coming from that part of the world, (I know there's quality too, don't get it twisted).

And as for comparing this to getting payed for beats I don't see the connection, sorry. DJs are supposed to get payed for selling mixtapes, doing shows etc not for this IMO. Beat makers' product is beats; if you're not getting paid for beats then what are you getting paid for? I'm well aware that paying for placement happens but it does damage one's credibility.

It might be a game/business but I always believed, (and I don't give a fuck who says or does otherwise), the only way to do business is honestly and ethically. Music should mean more to you than just a hustle or a business, otherwise you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe 50 cent or some other wanker did it but I don't think the people really deserving of respect in the industry; eg Pete Rock, DJ Premier, and others mentioned have had to pay for placement, (could be wrong on that but I don't think so).

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Most def then to each his own.. again Im not for it... but your definalty one of the cats i see grinding so going on that note i would consider it... Your right too on the mixtape thing to, you have to fit in the MIXTAPE scene as well which is an entrily different anmial to itself..
either way i think its just a matter of approach as long as people realise there is more then one way to skin a cat get your hustle on.....It also depends on the market that your in as well..

Class...

Its a double edged sword ... You have the wackness that comes out of it just because some non talented
people happen to have thousands of dollars at their disposal to flood their horrible music everywhere ... But
then you have the talented people that just need an outlet to be heard to catch on so they use the opportunity
to get heard and it can be a great look for them ... I'm for an against it depending on the person doing it
and whether their talented or not.

And definetly the mixtape game is and regular industry are 2 different things ... Thats why you have some
artists that could never make an album to save their life ...

Glad to see this turned out to be a good discussion !

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I don't think the issue is whether you're willing to spend money to promote yourself; as far as I can see those who have an objection to this object on ethical grounds. I know I certainly do. No diss to anyone but if, as the example given earlier said, people in the South have to pay to get played etc, and it's all about the hustle then that must be one of the reasons so much of that shitty one hit wonder stuff is coming from that part of the world, (I know there's quality too, don't get it twisted).

ah ha ha ha....u always manage to twist the hell out of someones comments...especially mine. I know..it's deep between me and you....you'll get over it one day....or not...doesn't much matter. You really go hard to pick text battles. I guess I just need to use the old fashion ignore feature that Fade equipped us with....yeah...I think so...this beef is getting ridiculous and I know I'm bigger than this.

No one said people from the south "have" to pay to get played. You either grabbed that out of thin air or somewhere that the sun doesn't shine!

Say what you will about the south my friend we're here to stay...one hit wonders and all. You would think you've never heard or read the word "hustle" dealing with hip hop before....you are one funny dude. Anyway...peace be with you. I promise this is the last time I'll read anything u type on ILL. Holla!

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Yea that's the way of the south. Pay for your spot on the mixtape. There are even DJ pools that help break your record. So u may pay a DJ group (Go DJ Group for example) a sh1tload of cash, but you just paid a group of at least 30 DJ's to break ur joint in the club. Nice deal to me. I'd gladly pay a DJ to drop me on the tape and then do a mixtape myself and have him chop, screw, and put his drops and voicetags all over it. Most of the DJ's are constantly doing mixtapes and breaking club records. It's a win win situation. Love the south so much! Seperates tha hustlers from the lazies. U gotta get out and grind.

This is where someone says you pay for placement in the South. I don't mean everyone "has" to pay but just going by what this dude said.

Don't get so sensitive, no ones looking for beef, I thought we were having a discussion where there were differing opinions?????? WTF, seriously.

I'll still be reading your comments, they're good for a laugh and sometimes you even say something reasonable and thought provoking.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
some peeps just dont get it ...and yes u do have to pay to play in some shape form or fashion. whether its investing in equipment, studio time, flyers, pressing cds, airfare, etc.. it all takes money, time, and effort. You wont be successful posting your beats on online forums thats for sure it takes alot more than that. Artists don't get "discovered" out of nowhere no matter how talented u are, especially this day in age.. u gotta grind, and be out there as much as possible. For years I had an attitude similar to sincock, but i outgrew that fast once I really started to study and understand exactly how big and competitive this game is. Theres sooo much hot music out there, its ridiculous. I check alot of new music/artists on the reg, and there are a fucin boatloads of talented individuals out there grindin heavy despite what u may hear on the radio. Even outstanding material/individuals can easily get lost in the shuffle if it isnt being promoted/pushed correctly. Mixtapes are just another avenue... just a small equation to a large game.. we talking about a few hundred dollars here .. i pay 150 a month for my cell phone bill, i got no problem putting a couple hundred on an opportunity to get my music to a large number of people. And if it really came down to it, and the opportunity was good, fuc it ill let that bill roll-over till next month lmao. Thats chump-change in comparison to the money over the years ive spent in equipment, learning my craft, and the time ive spent in the lab when i coulda been working a second job or studying towards a higher degree. Ive vested too much in this to be concerned about "ethics"... i learned awhile ago shit aint gonna pop off because i can make "hot beats" and use big words in my rhymes. In fact if you are not willing to invest in yourself to make it happen than ur just a hobbyist like lil drama said.. iceman said the realest shit in this thread real talk... work is work .. u gotta hustle to get money for a dj slot the same way u would hustle and bustle out on the street with flyers and cd's. Its all investment, sacrifice, money, time, and effort anyway u look at it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
100 Ash! Those who offer no more than lip service in the form of text to this forum are apparent "wanna be" hip hop hobbyist and nothing more.

Like you, I use to look at the music industry through rose colored glasses. It wasn't until I attended The Art Institute of Atlanta, where most of my instructors where actually artist and musicians in the business, did I gain an understanding of how shit really goes down. This is a dirty game/hustle. Unless you're willing to roll up your sleeves and get grimmey when necessary you need not attempt to enter. It will eat you from the inside out.

No one "has" to embark on this hip hop journey on a business or financial level, it's a choice. But if you do, u best put your moral compass in your back pocket and be prepared to do what you have to get in. I say time and time again, " you can't change the game from the outside looking in". If you think anybody "in" the game that controls the "game" gives a damn about your possible "candy ass resolve" you're sadly mistaken.

Business is business! Even those attempting to advance up the corporate ladder know you have to do things you may or may not think is right but in order to advance you do what you have to. Once you get in the right position you can make it so anyone that comes behind you doesn't have to do the same.

If you don't take the plunge you'll always be looking up at everyone else and bitching about the process. Hip hop ain't Disney Land or a night at the Opera! It was born in the concrete jungles of the ghetto. It's not suppose to be a walk in the park!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
This is a public service announcement brought to you by...thefire.com

Isn't it ironic that a song called "why can't we be friends" came from a group called "WAR"?

PEPSI is PEPSI, some like it, some don't. Those that like it tell those that don't why they should like it, those that don't like it tell those that do why they shouldn't like it...at the end of the day, PEPSI is still PEPSI.

((SMH))

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Very true; my final word on this, (too many people getting their noses bent out of shape over a discussion), you do what you think is right I'll do what I think is right, no need to make insults or personal comments. I can see what you're saying Ash and you make some good points without lowering yourself to others' level; I respect yours and others' point of view on this, I just don't agree. Call me a hobbyist, or a wanna be or my resolve candy ass or whatever, I don't give a fuck.

Anyway all I want to say is: if anyone believes they can change the game or the system from the inside out then they are in for a very rude shock. Many have said that before and no-one has ever done it anywhere in any field at any time. It's the game or the system that will change you. Have a look at the people who get the opportunity to be president, for example. Do you think it's a coincidence that they're all douchebags and arseholes? The only way to change anything, if that's what you want to do, is to be true to yourself and not compromise your beliefs, even then you still might not change anything but you might still have some self respect.

Peace

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
This is a public service announcement brought to you by...thefire.com

Isn't it ironic that a song called "why can't we be friends" came from a group called "WAR"?

PEPSI is PEPSI, some like it, some don't. Those that like it tell those that don't why they should like it, those that don't like it tell those that do why they shouldn't like it...at the end of the day, PEPSI is still PEPSI.

((SMH))

what about Diet Pepsi? or how bout Pepsi One?

ohhh, remember Pepsi clear?

lol

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Diet Pepsi is Crisp and Refreshing. I'll whoop anybody's ass and shove a can down their throat if they say otherwise.

Sangria is the best soda though! Get 'em for $3 a case at the swap meat!

He's not paying to get his beat on a mixtape...it's a completed song. What's the big deal. Mixtapes are promotional. You have to pay to promote yourself.

There's a DJ here in Denver with a national reputation. He does exclusive mixtapes with big name artists.

You can pay him $300 dollars to get your track on the mixtape if he feels it. He also promotes the fuck out the mixtape, presses up $10,000 cd's and has a full street team that runs them all over the state/ nation through his connects. He's been featured on MTV multiple times for mixtape of the week.

Everybody bumps his shit. I paid him 300 dollars when I was working on a national release for my group that has since disbanded. Within a month my group received a blurb in Billboard magazine. I contacted the writer and they said they heard the mixtape. That opened up a lot of opportunities and connects for me. That was worth it for me.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
There's a DJ here in Denver with a national reputation. He does exclusive mixtapes with big name artists.

Everybody bumps his shit. I paid him 300 dollars when I was working on a national release for my group that has since disbanded. Within a month my group received a blurb in Billboard magazine. I contacted the writer and they said they heard the mixtape. That opened up a lot of opportunities and connects for me. That was worth it for me.

Good example of how it can work ... Haven't heard your music but I assume it was good ish !

members online