Showcase - August 17-23, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
Battle Points: 135
Thank you very much for this detailed feedback. I appreciate it a lot :D However, I have a few questions and I would be very grateful if you could clarify a few things so that I can get a clear perspective on what you mean.

"I think the 808, instead of supporting the beat beneath it should be driven more by side chaining"

I always apply side chain compression on 808 so that it ducks everytime the kick hits. Do you mean that sidechain should be harder?

"Also I think there should be a distortion filter" Could you please clarify what you mean here? If you reduce low range to 60 Hz those slides will be almost impossible to be heard. If I make slides in 808s I always leave space for 808 from 20Hz to 200Hz. The rest of the range is left for other instruments.

Personally, I think that 808 is on the right level as mix is not muddy with bass.

"More eq'ing in upper frequencies" Could you please clarify on that?

Thank you in advance for your response.

As far as your beat is concerned, it is a high quality production in my opinion. My favourite part begins at 0:31 when those scratchy sounds in melody appear. :D Really really good beat. :) Keep it up.
@Memento Beats
Dude, It was super late last night. sorry for confusing the heck out of you. Your beat sounds better mixed now that I've heard it a few more times. I think the 808 could be a little more present in the mix. This is Just my opinion. You can achieve this by adding some distortion to the mid frequencies in the 808 anywhere between 60-200 Hz. I use a distortion plugin in studio one 5 that can create distorting in any area of the 808 and leave the other frequencies alone such as the sub frequencies below 60 Hz. Its like a distortion filter. You can also achieve this by duplicating the 808 track, add that distortion, and eq just the mid range. Then you would mix the 2 808's together. One has the low sub frequencies that really boom in the car, and the other 808 has the mid range with slight distortion on it to translate to other speakers.
When the kick hits and ducks the 808, Its almost like the 808 becomes falls under the synths in the mix. This might be because I like hearing the mid range more of the 808.

Trust me when I say this its just my opinion and to be honest I could wrong. Maybe the way you did it makes perfect sense for what you were going for. If that's the case just ignore me. I am by no means a pro at this. lol I love your beats bro. You are well versed that's for sure. I will never have enough battle points to ever compare! lol

@Memento Beats
Dude, It was super late last night. sorry for confusing the heck out of you. Your beat sounds better mixed now that I've heard it a few more times. I think the 808 could be a little more present in the mix. This is Just my opinion. You can achieve this by adding some distortion to the mid frequencies in the 808 anywhere between 60-200 Hz. I use a distortion plugin in studio one 5 that can create distorting in any area of the 808 and leave the other frequencies alone such as the sub frequencies below 60 Hz. Its like a distortion filter. You can also achieve this by duplicating the 808 track, add that distortion, and eq just the mid range. Then you would mix the 2 808's together. One has the low sub frequencies that really boom in the car, and the other 808 has the mid range with slight distortion on it to translate to other speakers.
When the kick hits and ducks the 808, Its almost like the 808 becomes falls under the synths in the mix. This might be because I like hearing the mid range more of the 808.

Trust me when I say this its just my opinion and to be honest I could wrong. Maybe the way you did it makes perfect sense for what you were going for. If that's the case just ignore me. I am by no means a pro at this. lol I love your beats bro. You are well versed that's for sure. I will never have enough battle points to ever compare! lol

No problem at all :D I just wanted to clarify things as you provided me with very good feedback. I'm not going to adjust that beat because I never do it but I note down every tips I get from people and this is definitely going to be noted down by me. :D Thanks a lot man. I will try to remember about that higher frequencies when I will be making beats in future. Once again, thank you for clarification. :)

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
No problem at all :D I just wanted to clarify things as you provided me with very good feedback. I'm not going to adjust that beat because I never do it but I note down every tips I get from people and this is definitely going to be noted down by me. :D Thanks a lot man. I will try to remember about that higher frequencies when I will be making beats in future. Once again, thank you for clarification. :)
Anytime man! Same with my beats. Let me know what I can do better. You're a beast!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544

Love the kick. how did you mix the kick? really fat crunchy and aggressive. curious how you set level/processed/whatevered it to sound like that.

as for the beat, sounds like be one of those commercial hiphop joints, like one of those rapper like macklmore or something be on singing/rapping some pseudo inspiritional nonsense haha. chart stuff.

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
@EffectProd_ ok i can't beleive how many times i have told people this but make sure your 808 is in tune, lower frequencies are harder to hear for an untrained ear so move the 808 up a few octaves when your compose it then drop it back down after, i like what you did with the claps and the slight hats in the background, its just a loop for the most part but nice changeup at the 2 min mark, just please for the love of god tune your 808.. Things to work on ok so please dont get discouraged you just need practice here is what i think personally you should probably focus on 1 808 in tune ALWAYS, you can also try some pitch bends and octaves if you're feeling fancy but i'd reccomend just hitting the root note, 2 composition try making 2 distinct parts to your beat where either the melody or the rythmn changes up and then alternate between them every 2-4 mesures, i always start by composing a hook and then make a "verse" by taking out and or adding different elements to the hook, dont worry about mixing to much right now it will come in time

@GoldenBoy this is an umbrella academy beat or something hahah ? that show lost be around the part with the talking monkey xD beat is dope, i like the cinematic intro with the strings, the bells are real pretty too, i for one love a hard drop and the thumping 808, it might be a tad excessive but i'd say its just a stylistic choice honestly i really dig it, oh and a loud punchy kick is a good kick in my opinion

@TACTIK fucking sweet flow you got m8, i'd like maybe the vocals to be louder in the mix ? and maybe more emphezising certain words, like i was waiting for you to go more crazy with it. still really good though im not a rapper so take this with a pinch of salt

@Memento Beats i like your old school stuff m8 i could really see an mc popping off hard on this, i really like the little pauses you throw in every now and then, maybe a slightly punchier snare ? the one you chose works but it could sit better with the rest of the drums, i really like your subtle use of filters to add dynamics, well composed and well mixed really enjoyed it

@Primz this shit made me go straight ss3, sounds like the vocals or something slightly panned to the left i would of liked them better in the center, i'm a sucker for melodics so i found the main brass melody a little offputting but i think thats just my own taste, its well composed and overall high quality
@Crispifier I find myself in that situation where yeah stylistically it make sense, but is it right? I cross reference a lot of different hip hop beats across different listening platforms to try to gauge where the 808 is sitting in the mix for professional songs. For beat contests, Id say the 808 should be loud and centered like it is in my beat. (still a little loud I think) but for professional mixed tracks that support vocals, they're almost hard to make out sometimes in the mix. Its there, and you can feel it but it's not the main thing. A lot of low mid frequencies in hip hop today. Used to be all the low end pretty much.

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
@Crispifier I find myself in that situation where yeah stylistically it make sense, but is it right? I cross reference a lot of different hip hop beats across different listening platforms to try to gauge where the 808 is sitting in the mix for professional songs. For beat contests, Id say the 808 should be loud and centered like it is in my beat. (still a little loud I think) but for professional mixed tracks that support vocals, they're almost hard to make out sometimes in the mix. Its there, and you can feel it but it's not the main thing. A lot of low mid frequencies in hip hop today. Used to be all the low end pretty much. The 808 that is..

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
I use this dope "Drum Buss" effect on Ableton 10 Suite now to make unique 808 sounds that bump exactly how you want to the tone of the bass you want instead of the same ol' boring 808's like in every damn crappy Trap song! The more BOOM you add to a DRUM BUSS effect it will give you as much of that 808 sounds as you want, adjusting the FREQUENCY to the tone of your melodies playing! Try and use a LIMITER on it every time or else you could blow someones cheap ass speakers...When using LIMITER you dont peak, especially on the master so your beat will sound good on any speakers! You will accomplish a good mix on Ableton if you can hear the bassline from your beat on cellphone speakers.
https://youtu.be/1djkK1ni9Zw

Last edited:
New one from me folks. @EsquireMusic111 Please provide feedback because it's not the first time when you post something without giving feedback in return.

I would love to see a tutorial on how you do your kick + bass

Hey guys I've been practising and trying to improve on my drums and i made this beat what's your thoughts on it. Enjoy :)

It seems like the snare and the kick don't really sync up with the melody

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online