Showcase - August 17-23, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
lets see here

@Trunkz the mix sounds a little dusty/unclear which can be an asthetic choice but i think it would serve this perticular track better if you made some space by eqing, i quite like the quirky nature you got going also really like your use of ambients, rythmn section is decent and 808 is in tune (srsly ppl mess this up all the time hahah) good work my dude i really enjoyed this

@OMAR. yo bro this beat is killer i really like the half open hats especially combined with the closed slightly trap like ones ( i diddn't even know this was a thing you could do) super solid all round just the right amount of vinyl crackle on that piano and the melody is real pretty (unsure if this is a sample or not? not that it matters hahah) high level shit my guy keep bringing it !

guitardep

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 129
@Marc Duncan very cool vocal chops in the hook,very pretty glittery bells playing, think the beat could do with a switch up or something but its really solid i also really like how the hats act almost like percussion, nice work

here me newest

Like the drums, it seems a original acoustic drum not an electronic, could be ?

OMAR.

Battle Points: 5
yeah i wanna thanks to all that great critics guys

@Trunkz thank u ma man.
that beat is fuckin dope. the drums really got me. keep goin

@Primz thank u bro. i really apprechiate your feedback

@Crispifier yeah thank u. i really try to bring the 90s boom bap back with some new elements. im still experimenting

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
Battle Points: 135
Hey GUYS! I'm working on a beat for a hip hop/ trap beat competition with a bunch of crazy good producers in it. Def, probably, won't win.....BUT.....I'd like your input on a few things here. Obviously I cut down this beat to 1 min and arranged it a little different to be short and to the point:
1. What do you guys think of the beat?
2. How is the mix overall? (did some volume automation to make the drop more in your face)
3. Is the 808 too loud?
4. Is there such thing as too much bass drum, because frankly I try to have my kicks sit with the 808 more than most.
Up to discussion about everything. Really what to get the best possible mix. Thanks for your feedback!! Did an embedded code from sound cloud, hope this works when I press reply. CHEERS!

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="

Last edited:

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
I figured it out Crispifier. Also Crispifier I like the way you approach music I do it the same way, that's kind of why I ended up having a jazz piano solo in the last beat this comp. Sometimes Ill just go with the flow more with how I feel and what I'm hearing. Rather than just trying to create one specific genre.

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
@Crispifier I love the mid trumpet counterpoint carrying the harmonies! Real nice mix in the mid range for that. Its one of those parts not a lot of people will listen to but its beautiful.

@EffectProd_ I like the melodies you samples. I feel like the mix of the drums needs a little work. This song has so much potential to be an epic feel good song. The kick and snare especially need to drive the song. Being an uptempo beat, it needs the driving force. If you go back, try to turn off an limiting on the master track and ride the faders up for the kick and snare. A lot of the higher frequency instruments will still sit nice in the mix. Once that's done, re-adjust your limiting accordingly to get the track overall a little louder.

@Trunkz I like the vibe youre going for. Obviously its not mixed. I would cut out the panning out on the whole song and stick with the panning on the hi hats to create more subtle movement. And of course the eq. We need to get the song where each instrument isn't interfering with each other on the frequency spectrum. I want to hear this beat when its finished. If you'd like my help I would be happy to give feedback later as well.

@Primz Where do I start. lol sick beat. Mix really well. Drums are driving the song. Curious where you got that hi hat sound or if you made it/sampled it? Not much to say other than....DOPE

@Memento Sick beat. I really feel as though the synths are overwhelming the beat. Not so much in the verse and the soft breakdown around 2:02. The higher frequency will always split through a mix. I think the 808, instead of supporting the beat beneath it should be driven more by side chaining. Also I think there should be a distortion filter to and bring the low pass side of it to around 60 hz. Maybe a hard tube at medium strength. (this is one way to, increase volume a bit and help bring out the slides on the 808) More eq'ing in the upper frequencies. These are just my opinions, overall dope ass beat. I'm jealous

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
@guitardep hey man sick country trap beat. I honestly like your mix. Not a lot of instruments to fill it out but sometimes you just need to let the beat breath. Nice Job.

@Marc Duncan Hey marc sick beat. A lot of cool stuff going on there. Really for me with this one, (which has so much potential) it all comes down to the mix and eq. Needs a facelift. With these type of beat eq is king and the drums. The drums needs to sit higher in the mix and the eq will ultimately clear out the space needed for it. A lot of the higher frequencies need their own space and when you stare down the eq you'll see parts of each sound that you may have to sacrifice for an over all better down. Example: acoustic piano chords have a lot of mid-high range in them but also a lot of low mids. If you have a kick drum and 808 taking up that space, you might filter out the lower end of that piano. PS playing that newly eq'd piano by itself with sound terrible on its own, but the overall mix of the song with sound much more clear. Hopefully that made sense. I really want to see this beat come alive! Wish I could mix it myself!

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
@guitardep hey man sick country trap beat. I honestly like your mix. Not a lot of instruments to fill it out but sometimes you just need to let the beat breath. Nice Job.

@Marc Duncan Hey marc sick beat. A lot of cool stuff going on there. Really for me with this one, (which has so much potential) it all comes down to the mix and eq. Needs a facelift. With these type of beat eq is king and the drums. The drums needs to sit higher in the mix and the eq will ultimately clear out the space needed for it. A lot of the higher frequencies need their own space and when you stare down the eq you'll see parts of each sound that you may have to sacrifice for an over all better down. Example: acoustic piano chords have a lot of mid-high range in them but also a lot of low mids. If you have a kick drum and 808 taking up that space, you might filter out the lower end of that piano. PS playing that newly eq'd piano by itself with sound terrible on its own, but the overall mix of the song with sound much more clear. Hopefully that made sense. I really want to see this beat come alive! Wish I could mix it myself!
@guitardep After hearing it again. Bring the guitar up in the mix more. Also some SUPER light long delay reverb might help to add some color in the space. Sounds a little dry, Maybe also some saturation

@Crispifier I love the mid trumpet counterpoint carrying the harmonies! Real nice mix in the mid range for that. Its one of those parts not a lot of people will listen to but its beautiful.

@EffectProd_ I like the melodies you samples. I feel like the mix of the drums needs a little work. This song has so much potential to be an epic feel good song. The kick and snare especially need to drive the song. Being an uptempo beat, it needs the driving force. If you go back, try to turn off an limiting on the master track and ride the faders up for the kick and snare. A lot of the higher frequency instruments will still sit nice in the mix. Once that's done, re-adjust your limiting accordingly to get the track overall a little louder.

@Trunkz I like the vibe youre going for. Obviously its not mixed. I would cut out the panning out on the whole song and stick with the panning on the hi hats to create more subtle movement. And of course the eq. We need to get the song where each instrument isn't interfering with each other on the frequency spectrum. I want to hear this beat when its finished. If you'd like my help I would be happy to give feedback later as well.

@Primz Where do I start. lol sick beat. Mix really well. Drums are driving the song. Curious where you got that hi hat sound or if you made it/sampled it? Not much to say other than....DOPE

@Memento Sick beat. I really feel as though the synths are overwhelming the beat. Not so much in the verse and the soft breakdown around 2:02. The higher frequency will always split through a mix. I think the 808, instead of supporting the beat beneath it should be driven more by side chaining. Also I think there should be a distortion filter to and bring the low pass side of it to around 60 hz. Maybe a hard tube at medium strength. (this is one way to, increase volume a bit and help bring out the slides on the 808) More eq'ing in the upper frequencies. These are just my opinions, overall dope ass beat. I'm jealous
No sampling on the high hats, normal i hats i have hahahahaha

Thank you very much for this detailed feedback. I appreciate it a lot :D However, I have a few questions and I would be very grateful if you could clarify a few things so that I can get a clear perspective on what you mean.

"I think the 808, instead of supporting the beat beneath it should be driven more by side chaining"

I always apply side chain compression on 808 so that it ducks everytime the kick hits. Do you mean that sidechain should be harder?

"Also I think there should be a distortion filter" Could you please clarify what you mean here? If you reduce low range to 60 Hz those slides will be almost impossible to be heard. If I make slides in 808s I always leave space for 808 from 20Hz to 200Hz. The rest of the range is left for other instruments.

Personally, I think that 808 is on the right level as mix is not muddy with bass.

"More eq'ing in upper frequencies" Could you please clarify on that?

Thank you in advance for your response.

As far as your beat is concerned, it is a high quality production in my opinion. My favourite part begins at 0:31 when those scratchy sounds in melody appear. :D Really really good beat. :) Keep it up.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
@EffectProd_ ok i can't beleive how many times i have told people this but make sure your 808 is in tune, lower frequencies are harder to hear for an untrained ear so move the 808 up a few octaves when your compose it then drop it back down after, i like what you did with the claps and the slight hats in the background, its just a loop for the most part but nice changeup at the 2 min mark, just please for the love of god tune your 808.. Things to work on ok so please dont get discouraged you just need practice here is what i think personally you should probably focus on 1 808 in tune ALWAYS, you can also try some pitch bends and octaves if you're feeling fancy but i'd reccomend just hitting the root note, 2 composition try making 2 distinct parts to your beat where either the melody or the rythmn changes up and then alternate between them every 2-4 mesures, i always start by composing a hook and then make a "verse" by taking out and or adding different elements to the hook, dont worry about mixing to much right now it will come in time

@GoldenBoy this is an umbrella academy beat or something hahah ? that show lost be around the part with the talking monkey xD beat is dope, i like the cinematic intro with the strings, the bells are real pretty too, i for one love a hard drop and the thumping 808, it might be a tad excessive but i'd say its just a stylistic choice honestly i really dig it, oh and a loud punchy kick is a good kick in my opinion

@TACTIK fucking sweet flow you got m8, i'd like maybe the vocals to be louder in the mix ? and maybe more emphezising certain words, like i was waiting for you to go more crazy with it. still really good though im not a rapper so take this with a pinch of salt

@Memento Beats i like your old school stuff m8 i could really see an mc popping off hard on this, i really like the little pauses you throw in every now and then, maybe a slightly punchier snare ? the one you chose works but it could sit better with the rest of the drums, i really like your subtle use of filters to add dynamics, well composed and well mixed really enjoyed it

@Primz this shit made me go straight ss3, sounds like the vocals or something slightly panned to the left i would of liked them better in the center, i'm a sucker for melodics so i found the main brass melody a little offputting but i think thats just my own taste, its well composed and overall high quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online