Showcase - August 6-12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@.calm not bad but it is kind of boring and seems to not have direction. The bass was o.k. but needs a little work.

Here are two new remixes I did this weekend I actually made two versions of the Marvin Gaye Remix I have posted on youtube but i'll put one on here so I don't have too much stuff lol

.calm

@Matt-D Thanks for the listen! Noted and will be applied to the next one.

The 1st remix is nothing less than beautiful. That drum sequence is nasty!

2nd one had me vibing more with the actual vocal than the instrumental. The vocals were sitting in the beat with a seamless feel though. Imo I feel the 1st one was better but the second feels like it come out of that era. Nice work

..3rd play through of the first one..:up2:

44Beatzz

Ruhrpott / Germany
Battle Points: 143
@.calm I like the drums and vibe.Im still unsure about the melody.But its something new and i respect it!
@Matt-D Both beats are full of soul.I like the drums of the first beat but my favorite is the second one.Good work bro!

I´ve finaly made a tribute beat+video to Prodigy of Mobb Deep.It is something that i wanted to do for a long time.
R.I.P. Prodigy

csbr

Gardener
Battle Points: 11
New track here, experimenting with some more new effects:

[Soundcloud] Bansuri

Feedback & support appreciated [and returned where warranted]..

Thanks for checking it out [and any support / feedback],

peace.

*Will post feedback to previous songs a bit later when I get out of work.

Alejandro

AleVFX
@.calm It was ok but nothing special. I think the introduction was ok but it mantained the same felleing for all the rest of the song and I didn't lile that.
@Matt-D I don't like so much the original songs so the remixes are a little bit boring for me. Sorry but I am not that helpful with this stuff.
@44Beatzz The beat by itself is too static but as a video companion it does the job.
@csbr I liked this beat a lot because it is a lot dynamic and I don't know if you made it intentionally but it has some kind of oriental/asiatic feeling for me and I really liked that.

Alejandro

AleVFX
This is an unfinished beat that I'm working on... Consider it a sketch. I want to know how can I improve it keeping it simple and because it is meant for rapping if you have suggestions for a chorus it would be fantastic.

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
Hello to all of you.
I've checked your beats and...
@.calm Welcome to illmuzik. I was dissapointed that you discontinued the opening sequence of your beat. I liked it more than the stuff that followed.The bells sounded kind of dry and sterile. Drums are on point. I would've belt the beat on the first four bars.
@Matt-D Those remixes are sounding dope.Exept for some timing issues on hi-hats i've noticed on both tracks, I don't have else nothing constructive to say. Keep up the good work.
@44Beatzz Nice of you paying tribute like this with awesome beat and video. The beat is killing...
@csbr Nice experiment...if you are trying out the effects i guess is ok, but to me sounds like is too much. Also it seems like you have too much melodic,harmonic and rhytmic ideas going on in one track. Try something more simple and then experiment with effects so it doesn't sound too crowded. Always keep in mind that someone would want to layer vocals on your beat, so keep some space for that.
@Alejandro This is interesting...i didn't expect drums to come in like that in 6/8 time, you caught me off guard :) I was also making a beat with arpeggiated syths, and after a while they sound monotonous, so try change that after a while and try putting some reverb on it. For a sketch it's not bad, but it needs work.

So, i have two beats for this week, one is compeltely new and the other is the same from last week i added some stuff and I tried to mix more lo-fi like @dBtheProducer suggested.
Nothing here yet.
Nothing here yet.

@.calm ..needs a little more work...i did like the bass..keep working bruh

@Matt-D ,very nice work on the Bruno Mars remix..very nice approach..but i'm not really feeling the MARVIN GAYE remix though...it's needs to be tightened up a bit...but definitely on to something
@44Beatzz , the beat and the video are both tight bruh..great work for giving a tribute to PRODIGY...nice touch
@csbr , i think you added to many ingredients to your sauce..,there is a lot going on...you should strip it down to just the beat and then build on it again..but not too much. but good job
@Alejandro , this is very good bruh , love the change up with the drums and the synths are dope...very good work bruh..
@crosstevsky , both beats are very smooth and very dope...this is awesome work bruh

crosstevsky

beats architect
WELL LET'S HEAR THE FEEDBACK ON THIS ONE....
Nothing here yet.
As always, exellent...Like it very much, specially the bending violin...Intresting drums with toms and what not...Brassy synth sounds kind of stock preset when its alone on the verse, with pads sounds ok.Maybe some work on that sound would be good.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@44Beatzz nice track bro!! very interesting melody to go along with excellent drums.
@csbr very COOL and refreshing track!! Respect for this one I can tell you put some work into this one and had lots of fun making it.
@Alejandro it's all good mayne those remixes aren't for everyone. I liked the sounds you used in the this beat I just couldn't get into the groove of the beat. It felt like it was getting ready to do something but it just never did. I just think you need to rework it.
@crosstevsky thanks man, yeah I do my hats like that on purpose to me it makes it sound less stiff on the groove and timing. Now let me say I am a big fan of broomstick it really has that classic style of hip hop that I love, especially the way the drums knock.
@DEEZ BEATZ Another banger my brother!! What I like most about your body of work is everything always transitions so nicely from the intro to the ending. At first I thought I wasn't going to like that horn sound but it got catchy quickly as the beat progressed. Always nice to hear a new beat from you.

@44Beatzz nice track bro!! very interesting melody to go along with excellent drums.
@csbr very COOL and refreshing track!! Respect for this one I can tell you put some work into this one and had lots of fun making it.
@Alejandro it's all good mayne those remixes aren't for everyone. I liked the sounds you used in the this beat I just couldn't get into the groove of the beat. It felt like it was getting ready to do something but it just never did. I just think you need to rework it.
@crosstevsky thanks man, yeah I do my hats like that on purpose to me it makes it sound less stiff on the groove and timing. Now let me say I am a big fan of broomstick it really has that classic style of hip hop that I love, especially the way the drums knock.
@DEEZ BEATZ Another banger my brother!! What I like most about your body of work is everything always transitions so nicely from the intro to the ending. At first I thought I wasn't going to like that horn sound but it got catchy quickly as the beat progressed. Always nice to hear a new beat from you.
@Matt-D , thanks bruh. I love creating layers and the element of surprise in my tracks..im I glad you liked it..

crosstevsky

beats architect
Thanks, glad you like it.

csbr

Gardener
Battle Points: 11
@.calm - Really enjoyed the sapce of the intro. I think if you could have preserved this, perhaps adding similar reverb, compressed room reverb possibly, I think it would have kept that sense of depth to the track and added an extra level. Though I did like the sound design of this and don't have much to say otherwise as it sounded kinda like an 'idea' track.

@Matt-D - These both sounded really well made. Though I think just a hair's touch of reverb to the vocal on the first could have helped it blend more with your instrumental additions. And on the second I think the first drums you were employing, though they were good, did not so much fit the vocals. However, I think the rest from 1:03 fit very well and I enjoyed the intricacies within the patterns you have created. I think the drums are the spotlight piece here.
ALSO *EDIT* Thanks for the feedback brother, appreciate it.

@44Beatzz - I really liked this, great vibe, let it ride out. Blended well and nothing stuck out awry. Replayed twice was a good backround while I wrote the previous two feedbacks. Very chill and I think you did a very good job as a tribute.

@Alejandro - Thank you for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. As for feedback, agreed with previous feedback as to maybe switching up the arp at points. Possibly letting it wash out with reverb and come back again as something else, or changing it to something else entirely. Or doing something to have it go farther back into the backdrop so it does not stand out so far. I did very much enjoy the bassline patch used in this. The buzzy lead I think could use a little bit of work. But the effects I think were nicely done. The transition-y effects. (Perhaps these could transition to another arp, a change in the arp or something entirely different too!) You've got a base block here for a good beat though if you were to chisel away and smooth out some elements.

@crosstevsky - Agreed about some overcrowding in the first half for sure. The second half however I feel is a bit more refined and I'm happy with it. Also, I don't always make music for vocals. In fact, rarely do I. I try to make music, full and in their entirety as is, whether that means with vocals or not. Though I do believe vocals to be an amazing instrument.
Sometimes I like throwing together some vocal ready tracks though like this one:
[soundcloud]

@crosstevsky - As for your beats; The first one Wild Cat, though I think the mix was well done it was not really my style. A bit too plain is the only way I can explain it.
However the second one; Broomstick I VERY much enjoyed. I thought this was very good, thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Not sure why the drastic change between the two for me, but I think Broomstick sounds a bit fuller to me and a bit more well thought out and has more interest elements in it. More developed.. Anyways I liked it a lot, thanks.

@DEEZ BEATZ - Thanks for the feedback. Same comment as above. "Agreed about some overcrowding in the first half for sure. The second half however I feel is a bit more refined and I'm happy with it. I appreciate the feedback though." But I will definitely keep this in mind in my next track to will myself to keep the WHOLE piece sounding refined and polished.

@DEEZ BEATZ - As for your beat, I think the drums are great, love them, possibly could add some different fills just to have variation, but they are good. The melodic elements I think are good too (I also enjoyed the bending string-like instrument). Though I think you might have been able to do something to improve the atmospheric elements, ambience, etc.. Some kind of movement to the background harmony, or more blending, or some extra natural ambience (room noise, etc.) just to give everything something to sit in and add a bit more interest or glue for the track. The background harmony that was there did not seem to glue everything to me. ---THINKING ON THIS POINT ACTUALLY, I think this is because the bending instrument seems to be in a space of it's own away from the rest of the atmosphere. Otherwise great beat. Very clean mix.

wilizm

@crosstevsky Both of those tracks are definitely funky and smooth. I can see Snoop on the 1st one. The 2nd one gives me a Roy Ayers vibe to it. I likes, I likes.

Early 90s Boom Bap Type Beat 3 in fruityloops 1.2.10

Just keeping it simple, but still trying to be creative with limitations. Only effects are really:

- A built echo/delay
- A built sine fx
- A built overdrive fx
- Fade L to R
- Reverse Stereo (Fade R to L)
- Reverse
- Auto stretch
- Cut/Cut By

No VST support

Constructive Feedback Appreciated

Unknown

@.calm - Really enjoyed the sapce of the intro. I think if you could have preserved this, perhaps adding similar reverb, compressed room reverb possibly, I think it would have kept that sense of depth to the track and added an extra level. Though I did like the sound design of this and don't have much to say otherwise as it sounded kinda like an 'idea' track.

@Matt-D - These both sounded really well made. Though I think just a hair's touch of reverb to the vocal on the first could have helped it blend more with your instrumental additions. And on the second I think the first drums you were employing, though they were good, did not so much fit the vocals. However, I think the rest from 1:03 fit very well and I enjoyed the intricacies within the patterns you have created. I think the drums are the spotlight piece here.
ALSO *EDIT* Thanks for the feedback brother, appreciate it.

@44Beatzz - I really liked this, great vibe, let it ride out. Blended well and nothing stuck out awry. Replayed twice was a good backround while I wrote the previous two feedbacks. Very chill and I think you did a very good job as a tribute.

@Alejandro - Thank you for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. As for feedback, agreed with previous feedback as to maybe switching up the arp at points. Possibly letting it wash out with reverb and come back again as something else, or changing it to something else entirely. Or doing something to have it go farther back into the backdrop so it does not stand out so far. I did very much enjoy the bassline patch used in this. The buzzy lead I think could use a little bit of work. But the effects I think were nicely done. The transition-y effects. (Perhaps these could transition to another arp, a change in the arp or something entirely different too!) You've got a base block here for a good beat though if you were to chisel away and smooth out some elements.

@crosstevsky - Agreed about some overcrowding in the first half for sure. The second half however I feel is a bit more refined and I'm happy with it. Also, I don't always make music for vocals. In fact, rarely do I. I try to make music, full and in their entirety as is, whether that means with vocals or not. Though I do believe vocals to be an amazing instrument.
Sometimes I like throwing together some vocal ready tracks though like this one:
[soundcloud]

@crosstevsky - As for your beats; The first one Wild Cat, though I think the mix was well done it was not really my style. A bit too plain is the only way I can explain it.
However the second one; Broomstick I VERY much enjoyed. I thought this was very good, thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Not sure why the drastic change between the two for me, but I think Broomstick sounds a bit fuller to me and a bit more well thought out and has more interest elements in it. More developed.. Anyways I liked it a lot, thanks.

@DEEZ BEATZ - Thanks for the feedback. Same comment as above. "Agreed about some overcrowding in the first half for sure. The second half however I feel is a bit more refined and I'm happy with it. I appreciate the feedback though." But I will definitely keep this in mind in my next track to will myself to keep the WHOLE piece sounding refined and polished.

@DEEZ BEATZ - As for your beat, I think the drums are great, love them, possibly could add some different fills just to have variation, but they are good. The melodic elements I think are good too (I also enjoyed the bending string-like instrument). Though I think you might have been able to do something to improve the atmospheric elements, ambience, etc.. Some kind of movement to the background harmony, or more blending, or some extra natural ambience (room noise, etc.) just to give everything something to sit in and add a bit more interest or glue for the track. The background harmony that was there did not seem to glue everything to me. ---THINKING ON THIS POINT ACTUALLY, I think this is because the bending instrument seems to be in a space of it's own away from the rest of the atmosphere. Otherwise great beat. Very clean mix.

This is hard bro!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.