Showcase - February 20-26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@DEEZ BEATZ wasn't crazy bout the first one but the second one was good!! I love that reversed sample.
@AmusingMusicInc That first beat was on point, nicely done man!
@The Monk I really like the tone of this beat and how everything fits together. Also a great visual to go along with it.
@J-Hershey Love this beat, and what's really good about it is it catches your attention early which makes it that much better.
@Hadoq yeah that's my drum pattern

Thanks to all who provided feedback!!

@Matt-D
1st one, long-ish intro, but when the beat drops, so does the head, nodding to it right now, soulful and thick stuff here

2nd one, did you actually play the drums here ? this one seems less tied together, I wish the drums would change a bit along the different sections, I don't think the sounds work well together and the melodies sound somewhat chaotic. I think the mix would sort most of the ugly out (and I know it's tough to mix live drums if that's the case, so props for that), then thin out the melodic stuff, work out your melodies better, maybe longer loops with a little variation, and a better overall structure.

@DEEZ BEATZ
1st one
Wow, chaotic stuff, I kinda like it in a weird way, reminds me of some madlib (don't ask), very weird and unexpected, it's walking that fine line between genius and utter nonsensical
it's quite an experience if you let it get to you, I like it a lot actually

2nd one
Writing as I listen, weird sample choice, this is a very naive style that you have, upfront, unexpected and weird.
I'm actually quite blown away, again, I don't know if it's just clumsy or pure genius.

Keep doing your thing man, you rock !

@AmusingMusicInc
1st one, wow this is the week for long intros :D I expected something a little more "in your face", but this ends up to be pretty laidback, I actually like it a lot. not a big fan of the wurly/rhodes/ep in the background, I don't know if it's the sound or melody, or both, other than that, the beat is pretty cool but that damn EP is too distracting. I would have loved to hear some evolving synths in the background (if you want and if you're on live, I can wouldn't care to illustrate ;) )

2nd one
Alright, I love the intro drums, then, where is the bass here? just get a kickass bass line and sound in there, call it a day, nice groove, but it needs them basslines <3

@The Monk
Very well put together, but a bit repetitive for me, I like it when things move about a little more, but you're good at what you're doing man

@MartiS
Nice intro man, and once the beat drops, you get that atmosphere going with the vocal samples, man I love vocal samples as instruments and harmonic elements, great melody and harmony going on, nice breaks, then you take the whole thing a step further, almost losing the harmony there, almost but not quite.

if I had one negative thing to say, I would have worked more on the synths sounds, but they're pretty cool as they are already, so it's more about taste I guess, definitely one of my favorite beats this week, keep them coming man

LOTS of talent going on this week wow

PRGMAT

UdjTdTC.jpg

PRGMAT is proud to present his second solo beattape “TAPE IS WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF”.

It is the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of crime investigation, go on astral trips and thoughtful journeys around your dreamy mind. 40 minutes of hip hop blessed vibes from damp basements, through foggy promises to open clusters. Incognito dreams into analog synthesizers, muddy drums and Shaolin Kungfu flicks.

Beattape, stuffed with dirty chops and loops is overdosed with obscure tape recorder effects in the best traditions of lo-fi hiphop.
Listen:

https://prgmat.bandcamp.com/album/ta...de-of-beattape

V13 represent.
Limitations only exist if you let them. Less is more. This is only beginning. Peace. One love.

UdjTdTC.jpg

PRGMAT is proud to present his second solo beattape “TAPE IS WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF”.

It is the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of crime investigation, go on astral trips and thoughtful journeys around your dreamy mind. 40 minutes of hip hop blessed vibes from damp basements, through foggy promises to open clusters. Incognito dreams into analog synthesizers, muddy drums and Shaolin Kungfu flicks.

Beattape, stuffed with dirty chops and loops is overdosed with obscure tape recorder effects in the best traditions of lo-fi hiphop.
Listen:

https://prgmat.bandcamp.com/album/ta...de-of-beattape

V13 represent.
Limitations only exist if you let them. Less is more. This is only beginning. Peace. One love.

@PRGMAT..LOVE THE GROOVE ON THIS ONE...AND THE KUNG FU MOVIE SAMPLE IS CRAZY

arta

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 15
@Matt-D : great sample work@ Thought the bass volume was a little weak on the first track.

@DEEZ BEATZ : Love the sample chops for the 1st beat. I know it's supposed to be experimental, but I think it would those chops would be serve better with a better drum pattern. 2nd beat overall was more solid.

@AmusingMusicInc: Trapical - wow this track was stunning. The buzz pad is a bit loud, but the background lead is great. 2nd beat as a fan of movie soundtracks I love the heavy drumwork. I don't think the transition matches the main beat, but maybe that's just a genre I'm unfamiliar with. Do you make scores as well?

@The Monk: Wow, great beat. Bassline has a great melody, if a little low in the mix.

@MartiS: Great mix. Love it as is.

@J-Hershey Great sample choices and construction. The sample chops themselves could be mixed a lit better, some of them abruptly punch in at a different volume and frequency of the main beat. Maybe you were trying for them to be hear above the main melody. Also I know you're going for a vintage feel with the beat but it's a tad ltoo o-fi, as if sampled off VHS rather than vinyl. Everything else is solid.

@Matt-D : great sample work@ Thought the bass volume was a little weak on the first track.

@DEEZ BEATZ : Love the sample chops for the 1st beat. I know it's supposed to be experimental, but I think it would those chops would be serve better with a better drum pattern. 2nd beat overall was more solid.

@AmusingMusicInc: Trapical - wow this track was stunning. The buzz pad is a bit loud, but the background lead is great. 2nd beat as a fan of movie soundtracks I love the heavy drumwork. I don't think the transition matches the main beat, but maybe that's just a genre I'm unfamiliar with. Do you make scores as well?

@The Monk: Wow, great beat. Bassline has a great melody, if a little low in the mix.

@MartiS: Great mix. Love it as is.

@J-Hershey Great sample choices and construction. The sample chops themselves could be mixed a lit better, some of them abruptly punch in at a different volume and frequency of the main beat. Maybe you were trying for them to be hear above the main melody. Also I know you're going for a vintage feel with the beat but it's a tad ltoo o-fi, as if sampled off VHS rather than vinyl. Everything else is solid.
@arta...thanks for constructive criticism. I really appreciate it when people like yourself give me good insight on the direction my music is going. It helps to make me better. Thank you

@Matt-D :

First of all, thank you for listening and giving feedback. The first track seems to have the same general consensus about the drone, which came as part of a sample/loop, so I didn't have a lot of control over the mix. The second beat, I have to agree with you about the transition. It's a very abrupt and rough transition that could've been blanketed with a Rev Crash and a Rise, at least, but overall it was an experimental beat outside of my usual genres.
I do make scores, usually for classical pieces rather than production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online