So, i got a meeting with an A&R from Capitol Records coming soon

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
^^^^ thats what i am gettin at right there, exactly.

it becomes a different ballgame when you start talking to these types. i hope whatever i am learning through this can challenge the rest of you and help you gain some insight.....

and thanks for all the suport. it is much appreciated.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I guess I'm in no position to give you advices, since you know the game better than me, but here goes anyway...

I'm pretty sure you already did it, but, maybe you should tweek you beats so they have the same sound signature as the artists you're gonna make beats for... Not changing your beats, but tweeking with effects your kick/snare/synths etc...

Maybe the way the strings sounded was not right to his ears because it wasnt the sound Dilated usualy use...

Having a commercial sound is not a bad thing to me... I mean I would be so happy if I could have drums that thump like G-Unit's. And it sounds nice in a car or a club, as the guy said...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
^^^ ^yeah thats what we're doing. i went in and made all my snares fat and thick.

basically he wants the alchemist sound- but done my way. ok, cool. i can do that.
which doesnt make much sense to me since the real deal is already in the camp and a major part of their success up to this point.... so perhaps its just to save a buck or maybe he just likes me that much, who knows. but thats what we're doing. its going to be boot camp for the next two weeks on this though.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
well (and again that's my humble opinion), maybe he want a new flav different than what The Alchemists are doing, while keeping the same sound...

It would be wierd if you would hear Céline Dion on a Timbaland beat... the fans wouldn't be feeling it for sure... She could try it, but then it's unsafe....
know what I mean?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
well (and again that's my humble opinion), maybe he want a new flav different than what The Alchemists are doing, while keeping the same sound...

It would be wierd if you would hear Céline Dion on a Timbaland beat... the fans wouldn't be feeling it for sure... She could try it, but then it's unsafe....
know what I mean?

i dont know i fthe cold sound and the alchemist sound are THAT different.
considering ive made alchemist type tracks in the past for kicks, and the fact that he is in my personal top 5.... shouldnt be hard to do. its that direction, that flavor, but still me.

i have done this a lot before- i make "tribute" beats to an older artist that inspired me in some way. this is difficult at all, it is a little bit of pressure though and pressure either bursts pipes or turns carbon into diamonds. i was born in arpil, addn my birth stone is the diamond. no bursting for me. the next two weeks will be boot camp for real.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
But, On the real man... I'm no big Alchemist fan, but I'll probably buy the album if you're beats are in it...

Do your thing man!

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
cold ive been through this before. had a meeting with an a&r from interscope and she basically told me the same thing dude is telling you to do. she had me drive back and forth from long beach to sta monica about a good 9 or 10 times. then in the end she just says, "i dont think your sound is what im looking for, but ill make sure to keep you in mind if anything pops". i was like, what??? you could have told me this on the 2nd or 3rd meeting. not the 11th. but that was 2 years ago. just my personal experience. that was as close as i have gotten to getting on a major release. felt good just to be in that position. although the rejection sucked hairy, monkey ballz it made me work even harder. SO GOOD LUCK AND IF YA DONT GET IT DONT START SHOOTIN' NOBODY. Y'ALL VALLEY CATS ARE CRAZY!

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
truth as far as usig 808s with your basslines just set the beat in sme kind of song format use the bassline or the 808's for 4 to 8 bars i would probally use the basline on the hook and the 808s for the vocals

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Cold Truth,

When is your next meeting with this person?

How long do your discussions last? At what time of the day does he schedule you? I'm just wondering, because that can mean something.

It sounds like he's doing what a rep is supposed to do. The thing is that he is also assuming a producer role, meaning that he will either be executive producer or approach you for some form of ghost writing agreement. Obviously you can't be sure.

Good luck, and use common sense.

-G

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
god, damn where you been? lol good to have you back, even for one post- but especially this one!

1. were meeting tonight. we have been meeting at the club that he frequents in my area. the same spot he made his announcement that caused me to go up to him. after the first one got rescheduled, i told him i couldnt keep taking that much time from work, and he said he would meet me in my area so that i wouldnt have to do the traveling in case he had to reschedule again. the meetings are at night, when i am available. hes been cool about that part.

2. they are just listening sessions- he listens, tells me what he wants and doesnt want, and thats that. they last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour so far.

3. the executive producer thing has kind of had me bothered, actually, because i am making changes/alterations/etc based on his feedback and direction... so i have been thinking that he was going to go for an executive credit, but i dont think he is looking at making me a ghost. he has been telling me that getting my name on that first record is whats most important.

4. he hasnt taken anything- and says he wont until its time to move forward with agrfeements and contracts and what not. thats a good thing. i am in the process of securing legal representatin as well.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
When he scheduled you at his office location, at what time did he schedule you?

-G

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
man, this guy is going out of his way to accomodate you and your schedule. he must like something he hears from you

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Let me guess... at Hollywood and Vine, right?

lol.

Why was there Capitol A&R when Bone is signed to Epic which is a division of Sony? If I was the region rep for Epic I would not have let a Capitol AnR at my concert. Unless they are friends... but then somebody from the label would still catch wind of it and use it against the Epic AnR.

A Capitol AnR from HQ (the "mothership") on H&Vine would definitely be noticed by the region rep for the concert (or the AnR) from Epic/Sony that is based in the LA scene. Everyone is snug with each other that way. Also, I have to see who's Bone's agent, cuz it's not one of the big two.

-G

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
^^^ well the "concert" was at a small local club that the local radio station sponsors now and again, and this guy does his rounds at the clubs with his little roster of artists....

sound fishy or something?

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
oooooooh snap! God is back among us!

Bless be thee!

members online