So I kicked this b**** out of my studio midsession last night..

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I figured you guys would dig this, or relate at the very least.

So there is this local R&B chick right. She's a model and she looks good I aint gonna lie, and she has a little potential as far as singing goes.

BUT.

she is the most disrespectful conceded arrogant prissy bitch i've ever met. We've recorded a few times before in the past and i've never had a good experience with her. She always finds a way to offend the living hell out of me with her fucked up attitude, unprofessional behavior and the way she puts herself on a pedestal. She thinks and believes that she is the NEXT big thing to happen and that she is going places. She acts like everyone else should be honored to work with her, and i'm not exaggerating in the least bit either. Theres much more background to this story than I'm willing to type out though. But heres the rundown...

So after the first few sessions (the first sessions were probably about a year ago), I had decided I no longer wanted to continue recording her or doing anything with her at all. I just cut off all contact with her cuz her vibe was literally just that bad. Then this last week, out of the blue she hit me up talking about how she wanted to record with me again. I said no, I told her I was busy and that I didn't like how the sessions of the past had gone down. She insisted that she pay me, and it would have been 3 hours worth of work.

Me being the broke ass weedsmokin muhfucka that I am, thought about it and decided that I could probably handle 3 hours and the money would be nice.

So we go about the session (this is last night now) and immediately she becomes a complete studio bitch. Her vocal part was the most dynamic i've ever heard. Her vocal parts were damn near whispers at time that would turn into a loud wail in an instant. Obviously, a recording engineers nightmare right? So I have my preamp and mixer all dialed in for her settings, but she's complaining at how she cant hear herself that loud. I suggested that I could turn up the levels if on the louder parts she either sung into the microphone more off axis than normal or pulled back a little bit from the mic so the increase in levels isn't so significant. Keep in mind i'm trying to manage the best I can with my project studio. I have everything dialed in so I can handle her extremely loud peaks (I don't have a hardware compressor to run the vocals through, but even if i did i don't know if i'd have used it). I explained to her how everything works and its for the sake of getting a better quality recording. Normal people would understand that if it is for their projects benefit, it might be worth doing. She flipped out and was seriously making a "sigh" noise after everything that I said. Like i was waisting her time? Like I was randomly trying to make it more difficult for her (and how hard is moving your head a lil bit while recording anyways?) I dunno, it was ridiculous to say the least. This was only the beginning.

we're probably about 30 minutes into it when she starts REALLY gettin on my nerves. She was trying to harmonize but it wasn't sounding right. She wasn't in key, and she was gettin frustrated about it. Understandable.

We were basically recording a take, then recording a 2nd take that would layer the first one and then delete the worse of the two and repeating until we have two solid sounding takes that she liked. So as we are doing this, she'd tell me which take to delete and what not. I'd follow her directions exactly, deleting whichever take she specified. Problem is, she'd flip it on me after I deleted exactly what she had asked and be almost yelling "NO NOT THAT TAKE, THE OTHER TAKE". "THE BAD TAKE, YOU DELETED THE WRONG ONE". Shit like that.

Then i'd go edit undo, pull up the take she just told me to delete and play it again and she'd be like "YEAH THAT ONE, DELETE THAT ONE" . In a completely calm voice i'd be like, alright so i'm deleteing the one that I just deleted again and shed just sigh all loud again like its me fucking up the session.

haha and i'm not even kidding. This shit happened about 7 or 8 times. her listening and telling me which take to delete and me following her directions and then her yelling at me. I was like.. fucking blown away that this was even happening. Finally I was just like, look, you're not hitting the notes and your frustrated which is understandable, but you yelling at me for following your directions isn't going to fix your problem with harmonizing.

Then she tried to "flip out". She was like "WELL ITS NOT AS LOUD AS IT IS AT MOMENTUM [momentum is a local pro recording studio that is BLOWING HER OFF for some weird reason..hmm..] AND WHEN I RECORDED THERE THE HARMONIES WERE PERFECT" Then she said something like "I knew I should have just recorded at a professional studio".

I mean.. I'm definitely a project studio, but I know how to run my shit and get a really good recording out of what I have. And it's funny cuz she's even said it herself prior to this at how the stuff she's recorded at my spot sounds better than the stuff shes recorded at some pro studios. Just the fact that her singing was off key and she wasnt getting the takes right and trying to take it out on me anyway she can. aha, aight.

So anyways I heard that an I'm like.. aight, you know what ? You can get the fuck out, right now. She tried to say "na its fine, lets just get this down". I said na, seriously, get the fuck out right now. Take the headphones off and get the fuck out of my booth. Your a disrespectful ass bitch and i'm done putting up with you. She looked at me and was like, just " just press record" I closed the session without saving.

Already had an hour of recording under the belt. She was hella surprised that i closed the session and she said "you know what? your passing up a chance to work with a lot of industry people I hope you know that." I told her she can take her, her weak ass song and her industry people connects and get the fuck out of my house with it. She looked like she was about to cry. Definitely a moment worth savoring.

And, it gets better. her boyfriend.. or boytoy equivalent i dont know even what the fuck he was to her, he was in the room too. He was just laughing at the whole thing. him and her were arguing in between recording takes the whole time, it was just negative all around.

Studio session from hell i tell you, but I wasn't about to sit around and let her be disrespectful like that. I even tried to be cool about it at first, the fact that I lasted an hour is a feat on its own.

All I know is it felt real good to give that bitch a dose of shut the fuck up. Anyone that knows me personally can attest i'm one of the chillest humblest dudes around, I promote peace and I definitely don't instigate anything, ever. But i'm definitely not a pacifist. anyways, good story for you all out there in illmuzik land.

Peace

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Being the owner of a studio myself, I understand your point. Arrogance is unfortunately a major part of the music business. I think you handled it very well and then some. Some people just can't be worked with.

It sounds to me like she may be one of those artist that has a lot of the tools required to even attempt something at this level but her attitude and business sense is all fugged up. It also sounds like she was either having a bad day as far as vocals or she is just a mediocre vocalist at best.

Anytime you have a client come in, you must prepare for what they want and be on point but the same applies to the client, they must be prepared to do business and it's obvious that she wasn't ready.

Whenever I have an artist that I suspect will be a problem, I lay down the ground rules off top. It doesn't sound like you did that, it sounds like you tried to work through it which is understandable but in the future I'd suggest making it clear that if things go sour, the session will end. There must be a mutual respect between the both of you.

Once again, good job not hitting her in the face with baseball bat!

MOF

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
HAHAHAHAHA!!! AWSOME!! I was reading this trying to keep from laughing at work..
This is why I dont work with females at all anymore..Wifey only...
Singers are already fuckin irratating as hell male or female, then someone has their head gassed up and they bringin it to the session..
I like the "closed the session without saving it" part !! lol
Great tale , thanks!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
many singers (and rappers for that matter) dont get the difference between singing in the living room for their friends and actually going to the studio to lay down a track.. two totally diffrent things.. diffrent mindsets and diffrent processes. just cause there friends gas them up and they were prom queen in high school they think they know evrything. i can def relate to that story lol

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
yo go get another girl and a cup and u see how she gets!! i told theses chicken heads are crazy u give them 1 cup and to girls and they get crazy n freaky!!!but if u ask them to blow me that act like u speak a different language or if u dont pay them no mind when they want it they think u crazy!!! tell dat chick to sit one a cup!!!lmao

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Great story Fifth, good move on pulling the plug.
Fuck her and her "industry contacts", keep making those bangers my brotha, you got a bright future, always enjoyed your beats....

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Then i'd go edit undo, pull up the take she just told me to delete and play it again and she'd be like "YEAH THAT ONE, DELETE THAT ONE" .

HaHa LOL.

Props for doin what you had to do. Folks like that need a chin check to put them in their place. I know that had to feel good. A justifiable not over the top cussin out always gives a feelin of accomplishment.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You did what you had to do, plain and simple. Time is money and if she's wasting your time, she's costing you money. If she thinks she's a star, wait until she goes into a "professional studio" or approaches a label, they'll straighten her out real fast.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
u see thats why i stop recording beacause when i record some one they be on some well this aint a real studio!!! so i tell them go pay for a real studio then paying me
then they come all half ready waisting time when u could be making money else ware!!
i feel u relic dont get bully by these so call super stars keep doing u!!

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've worked with singers once. I was recording an emcee who wanted a male and female harmonizing behind his chorus.

I will not let another singer set foot inside my studio again.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yo, i was just about to tell u that if u would just scream on her ass back, she wouldve got her ass back in the booth and shut tha fuk up... (u did)... i had a feelin those long sighs were bcuz shes been in a more "pro" studio...if i were her, i wouldve had Suge with me, and u would been upside down danglin by ur ankles out the window...lmao!!! "press record bitch!!!"

good riddance... u'll get ur "connects" with another artist.

da relic