Studio Monitors for mixing but still have a nice lil bang to them

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Wassup my dudes, One of my studio monitors (M-Audio BX8a) recently clanked out on me. Luckily I bought the warranty from Guitar Center so they're sending a reimbursement gift card for 400.00 bucks and I don't really wanna get the same monitors. Any ideas/suggestions? I'm looking for a monitor with great accuracy, sound, and quality.

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Thanks, I don't mind spending a lil more if I have to. Just looking for a few nice options to invest in before making a swift purchase that I'll regret later.

DP, I dont know about all things Focal, but I fucking love the 65's

Thanks, I don't mind spending a lil more if I have to. Just looking for a few nice options to invest in before making a swift purchase that I'll regret later.
Yeah man, wise words.

Good Monitors is one of the MOST important things, and not to be rushed into.

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
I just looked into those Focal joints and from what I've read they are the real deal but that price is OWEEEEEE!!!! Way outta my league at this point in my career. 895.00 per speaker is really pricey. any other not so break my pockets suggestions for us lil fish in the sea? lol

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Its not what you want to hear, but anything under 1k for the pair is going to be about the same. Don't beat yourself up to bad about it. Make a decision and move forward making music and marketing yourself. Getting caught up in the gear buying cycle is a productivity death trap. And trust me I was once one of the worst offenders.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
What about the Focal CM40?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
- Get some avantones
- yamaha HS80's, not all that bad for the money, surely beat krk in that range. They bang, just not that truthful.
- yamaha MPS-5, tiny but precise, a grade down from KH120's but these are affordable.

Best of all, check how big the room is...HS80's in a small room is a bad idea already.

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Thanks for the feedback, I'm really leaning towards buying the Yamaha HS80's

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I totally disagree, I hate the Yamahas.

I & I :)

Ive heard them plenty and i know, theyre not precise (HS80) but they bang for the money and thats what he asked for aswell, theres nothing going to be THAT precise under 1400 bucks, best imo might be the lil MPS and for a bit more lil genelecs. The mps are quite nice for the money imo but they should be heard ofc.

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
From all the research I've done the yamahas seem like the truth in my price range, although I still have to go to guitar center and give them a good ole fashioned listening to. @ Thedreampolice what is it you disagree with?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
20/20's are alright, but warrantee is also nice :)

Ive also done a budget setup for a friend, quad 303(quad 405 also fine) and B&W's DM602 MKII/III.. entirely different because they ARE hifi but they bang and still good B speakers. I got totally used to them on a NAD amp in the studio office lol. I could reference things i did on the genelec 1031a's in the controlroom back then and it always translated ...

indeed, no warrantee on the quads.

You can work with a lot of cheaper nearfields but then you really need to know them, the best thing you can do in that price range is check which ones dont fatigue the ears the fastest (what i liked more about the B&W's). imo, real cheap precision start 1500 bucks for a used pair of Nuemann/KH o300's.

Also, demo them at home...whatever speaker you get,

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Thanks for the info my dudes, jumping into research mode. Much appreciation.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Dude, I still have not been able to try out the Nuemanns.

Whats up with B&W's? Was that a post house or something? Im still a focal guy! :)

Nope, just a set for auditioning/playback, NAD is ok hifi and the DM series from B&W are pretty good hifi speaker(its still B&W).

Quad 303's are one of the cleanest vintage amps around and can be had quite cheap.

The Nuemanns for us were a step up from the 1031a's, again, for the money really good stuff. We got really used to them and dont want banging nearfields so we dont need subs, but people i know who put their sub'd o300 set next to the Barefoot MM27's werent that much bothered to switch to barefoot.

The KH120 are becoming more favourable amongst small room setups aswell.

Ive heard a few Focals and i dont like all of em, last week i got a chance to hear the SM9's in a treated room and im not sure what to make of it. These dont "ring" which is good but im getting in the odd ballpark between them Barefoot MM27 but im probably going with RE Geithains RL901k because the design (imo) just beats any of those. I cant tell yet since im making preparations for a demo on them.