Tell Me - Is Sonar capable of competing with ProTools?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Will Sonar let me do almost or basically tha same thing i would be able to in protools as for mastering and such?....
I mean what is tha primary things that you would use protools for vs. sonar?

I jus got sonar, so im eager to see what im capable of doing with it.

Steeze

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
The thing that would be considered an advantage is that protools has proprietary hardware that supposedly enhances it's software capabilities.....I have sonar and protools 5.1....and I have done a lot of sessions in both and I keep asking myself what the real advantage is and using a mia soundcard with sonar I find that when I compare mixes the sound is actually warmer in Sonar.....I had to buy extra plugins for protools that cost a lot to actually do more mastering work in it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I have Sonar and it's amazing. You can do so much with it, there's tons of possibilities and I can't see a reason why it would not help you get the job done.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Yes.

For those people who want to debate this, please tell us why it is NOT competitive with PT.

Nick

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
hey Nick, because I have PT...lol. Sonar is great, I don't have it but a close freind of mine does and it's actually better (per say...) than ProTools in some cases. I'm just a die hard PT man and I'm not telling why...hahaha.

--dac

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Soooo...

What are some cool things you guys use sonar for?
I was assuming that i would jus try to use it to maybe enhance tha mix of tracks in tha prgm after i export to wav.
What are some good presets or for that matter - just good effects to tweak and mess with to amp/widen/master...etc??

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
pro tools anyday of the weak..... if you have the money theres no comparison....
the only thing that can hang with pro tools is LOGIC.....

THE PLUG-INS ARE MORE MONEY4 PT BUT THAT CUZ THEY DO MORE 4 YOU....
MY FRIEND HAS SONAR... AND DOES HIS CPU BEATS... AND THEY JUS SOUND THIN

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
The Mucka,

If you took your friend's tracks that he already made in Sonar, dropped them into PT, would they sound better immediately?

Nick

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I think first we need to know what version of ProTools we're talking about. Theres a big difference between a ProTools HD system, and a Digi-001. The HD systems have DSP cards that handle all the audio with zero latency and cpu load. But the 001 is just a regular audio recorder with a audio card just like Sonar, Cubase, Logic, DP etc. Pro Tools itself has WAY less features than Sonar, or Cubase, or Logic. Especially when it comes to midi editing and even some audio stuff. Its funny when people get juiced off using a Digi-001 like its a big deal. Theres nothing special about it. Except the name.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Duece, I haven't used Sonar for long but from what I've played around with, it can't be beat. I can't say from experience that I've done this and that, but it's very flexible. Check this site:
http://www.cakewalknet.com/index.htm

mucka, I don't think Pro Tools will "magically" make a song sound better than if it was done in Sonar. Both programs sequencing tracks, what's so different with Pro Tools?

B

BeatOff

If everybody actually tried different methods then you wouldnt have people who just assume one thing is better than the other just because of hearsay. Everybody always talks about pro tools and assume its the only thing out there.

themucka

ill o.g.
NO IF YOU THROW THEM INTO IT... IT WONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE....

BUT FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME WHO USE PROTOOLS ONLY 4 RECORDING AND MIXING IT CRUCIAL...

RECORD VOCALS ON SONAR THE RECORD VOACLS ON PRO TOOLS THERE GONNA BE A DIFFERENCE.. IF YOU DON'T THINK SO. OHH WELL THAT LIKE SAYING THERE NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TAPE AND DIGITAL... IF I HAD PEOPLE COME HERE WITH THERE MICS AND THERE PRE AMP... THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE INTERFACE... AND PLUG INS... AND MY 2 HOURS MIX... DESRTOY EVERYTHING... THEY BEEN DOING 4 MONTHS...

BUT EVERY REAL STUDIO USES PRO TOOLS NOT SONAR.... SO THE CONVENIENCE FACTOR IS THERE PLUS THE POWER...

NOW 4 MAKING A BEAT I DON'T SUGGEST PRO TOOLS.... I DON'T SUGGEST SOFTWARE... I SUGGEST MPC.... MAKING A GHETTO 2 TRAK MIX... SHOW YOUR BEATS... GET THEM 2 TAKE YOU 2 A PRO STUDIO AND DROP THEM THERE....

MY BOY GATO... DOES THIS.... HE DID THE KRS-ONE SONG WITH PEEDO.. OF LUNAR EMPIRE..." HOW BAD YOU WANT IT.."
HE WOULD NOT HAVE GOT THAT SOUND IF HE RECORDED INTO SONAR RATHER THAN THE SSL

AND THAT SONG IS A CLASSIC.... ALL HE GOT IS MPC AND A KORG Z1

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

"RECORD VOCALS ON SONAR THE RECORD VOACLS ON PRO TOOLS THERE GONNA BE A DIFFERENCE.. IF YOU DON'T THINK SO. OHH WELL THAT LIKE SAYING THERE NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TAPE AND DIGITAL"

The difference between analogue and digital recording has nothing to do with the difference between Sonar and Pro Tools: analogue and digital recording deals with different ways of capturing and storing audio; Pro Tools and Sonar are two different DIGITAL systems used to record and edit audio.

The only thing that would make a recording sound different between PT and Sonar are the cards used to capture the sound. I'm sure that we can all agree that the Digi001 is not the best card around, and we can agree that the Digi002 is not the best card either...because if it were the best card HANDS DOWN, then every studio on the planet would have one and every other card manufacturer would stop making cards altogether.

So, so far we have the PT guys liking it because:

1. Compatibility with 'real' studios.
2. Their plugins do more for you.
3. Dac likes it.

And the Sonar guys like Sonar because:

1. Sounds better than PT.
2. Don't have to buy extra plugs.
3. More audio and MIDI features.

Keep the list going!

Nick

themucka

ill o.g.
IT FUNNY HOW PEOPLE CAN BE BLIND... OR JUS PLAIN DUMB

I KNOW TAPE AND DIGITAL ARE... DIFFERENT....
PRO TOOLS... AND SONAR ARE DIFFERENT....

PRO TOOLS... IS MEANT 4 PRO'S.... WHO KNOW WHAT THERE DOING...
VITAMINMAN....

SONAR IS MEANT 4 ROOKIES... OR PEOPLE WHO TAKE THIS AS A HOBBY...
WHO DONT KNOW OR CAN'T AFFORD PRO TOOLS..

001 IS 4 PRACTICE... BANDS USE THAT SO THEY CAN TAKE IT 2 THE STUDIO... GET IDEAS AND RERECORD....

NO PRO WORKS ON 001.. ALONE OR 002... THOSE ARE 4 ROOKIES
I'M NOT A ROOKIE... NOR DO I TAKE THIS AS A HOBBY

SO ALL IN ALL..

PEOPLE USE PRO TOOLS....
1. CUZ THERE SERIOUS ABOUT THERE QUALITY....
2. IT'S THE INDUSTRY STANDARD.. BASICALLY...
3. AND IT JUS SOUNDS BETTA..

PEOPLE USE SONAR...
1, CUZ THEY DON'T HAVE HD OR TDM... OR THAT WHAT THEY LEARNED 1ST WITH
2. CUZ THEY BROKE...
3. CUZ THEY BROKE

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
To tha sonar users:

What features do you like specifically that you find yourself often utilizing in sonar?
And if you got tha time maybe include some simple steps and how you do your thing...
Im personally looking to widen tha stereo field for one thing with this prgm. - I know this is possible from previous theads - this is another reason why i got sonar.
I want to achieve a more "fielded out mix" (i made that up obviously, but you get what i mean right?)....Like, for instance when you hear a snare drum crack and it sounds in front of you but at tha same time its like on tha side of you as well...and while all of this is happening tha snare somehow tends to not over power anything else in your mix....

Hopefully some more of you guys can chime in on this one?

Steeze

B

BeatOff

Originally posted by themucka
IT FUNNY HOW PEOPLE CAN BE BLIND... OR JUS PLAIN DUMB

I KNOW TAPE AND DIGITAL ARE... DIFFERENT....
PRO TOOLS... AND SONAR ARE DIFFERENT....

PRO TOOLS... IS MEANT 4 PRO'S.... WHO KNOW WHAT THERE DOING...
VITAMINMAN....

SONAR IS MEANT 4 ROOKIES... OR PEOPLE WHO TAKE THIS AS A HOBBY...
WHO DONT KNOW OR CAN'T AFFORD PRO TOOLS..

001 IS 4 PRACTICE... BANDS USE THAT SO THEY CAN TAKE IT 2 THE STUDIO... GET IDEAS AND RERECORD....

NO PRO WORKS ON 001.. ALONE OR 002... THOSE ARE 4 ROOKIES
I'M NOT A ROOKIE... NOR DO I TAKE THIS AS A HOBBY

SO ALL IN ALL..

PEOPLE USE PRO TOOLS....
1. CUZ THERE SERIOUS ABOUT THERE QUALITY....
2. IT'S THE INDUSTRY STANDARD.. BASICALLY...
3. AND IT JUS SOUNDS BETTA..

PEOPLE USE SONAR...
1, CUZ THEY DON'T HAVE HD OR TDM... OR THAT WHAT THEY LEARNED 1ST WITH
2. CUZ THEY BROKE...
3. CUZ THEY BROKE

LOL I wonder if you actually think before some of the stuff you say. If "The Pro's" told you to eat a shit sandwhich you'd do it. You are like every brainwashed beat maker that takes a professional course. They always boast about These 4 things. MPC, Pro Tools, Triton and Macs. Then they battle some kid with a Cubase or sonar or something and get destroyed.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey I also mentioned that protools usually doesn't stand alone in a real pro studio either, I use digi 001 and sonar and go to a real studio with TDM and certified protools engineers....but they always resort to running the shidd thru their analog old school equipment for mastering and yes....RE-recording it.....does this make any real sense? then I have gone to some top studios that refuse to use it simply because they keep their clientele and the labels keep their studio on the list for artist to go and get real work done....not to knock protools as I said I use it but I too have access to quite a few real studios in the DC area and they ain't shown me shidd that a seasoned pro can't do with analog...or a seasoned home studio pro can do......not to pick a bone but I can't agree with all that bs about why people use sonar and what the pros use.....don't let people fool you, most of the time they tell you to either bring your broadcast wave files in and then they run it through the computer, and feed to the mixing board that's where it leaves the protools realm and enters the analog realm.....not to say you can't do everything but I know better.....

themucka

ill o.g.
@ beatoff i am a pro... not some rookie like you... you would neva squash me... no one you know could eva squash deal with it.... it you guys THAT are in your own world here... yall need 2 wake up.... LOL TOOK A PRO COURSE... I'M HOT CUZ IM HOT NOT CUZ SOME COURSE YOU DUCK...

i'm starting thinks this site is 4 halfass hataz.. who DON'T want see the truth...

"OGHH I REMBER BEAT OFF... YOU THE ONE WHO SWEAR PROS ARE FOOLS...

@bigmakintrax.... you must not be working with more than 24 tracks....
i drop 2 tape... when in a real studio and then dump back pro tools....

i have neva had a finished song with under 24... tracks... and with tape is 22...
i neva use the 1st and last track...

we always got 2 go with pro tools... and mix with the SSL AND PRO CONTROL...
i'm sorry sonar got nothing that gonna beat a dbx 120 subharmonizer.. or tube tech... or a 480l.... i can go on and on...

sonar is for pre production... the most and getting a good ruff dradt of a mix...
pro tools...nuendo.... logic... and ssl/neve/lagacy/ sony oxfords... are what any pro gonna use...

if anything a d8b..... with tascam 24... then they get dumped back 2 pro tools...

but hey i don't care yall do you.....

i repeat... i have neva seen a engineer worth his salt... trade up pro tools 4 sonar... jus wont happen....

AND I'M NOT HATING ON SONAR.....

BUT ANY REAL PRO ENGINEER WHO HAS A BRAIN WILL TELL... YOU CAN'T COMPARE
SONAR 2 PRO TOOLS...
ONLY FOOLS WOULD... SIMPLE AS THAT....

IS SONAR THE MORE REASONABLE CHOICE FOR SOMEONE STARTING OUT....
BUT I WOULD HAVE NO CLIENTEL... IF I TOLD MY PEEP NO MORE PRO TOOLS IT'S SONAR.... THEY LAUGH AT ME....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Alright, Alright...

I think its quite clear that tha mucka isnt a sonar hater - if anything hes added more info to this thread than alot of others on at least stuff that is helpfull for what im looking for.
thanks again Muck for tha comment on how you like to pan out your snare....thats tha kind of info im looking for in this thread.
If anyone else has other helpfull hints please add them anytime now.

Thanks

Mucka:

How do i do this with my exported wav track from reason?

When i go to load a project in sonar im like fucking baffled.LOL.....
If you jus go to open you can only open tha prgm's extensions, and if you go to new there is so many options and when you choose one its not very straight foward.
I clearly have more reading to do about how tha prgm works, but i figured i could cut tha chase ona few things like what you were talking about if you guys talked me through a few steps....

members online