The College Droput: your thoughts on Kanye's solo effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill o.g.
The album wasn't as hot as i thought it would be. There were some hot ones on there, "two words", "all falls down", and "get em high". But therre were some that i wouldn't even expect dame or jay to let come out of Roc-A-Fella. Like: The Kanye Workout one, or "we don't care", or "jesus walks". Im kind of religious you know and i wouldnt beat nobody up in a church. But that song wasn't really good enough for the final cut.

I feel like i think he rushed the album a little, but it's still good.

Common's verse made me run to the store, but i didn't have enough money. I'll probly get "Electric Circus" next week.

One more thing:

Did any of you get the album with the mascot on the cover?
I went to the store looking for the one with Kanye on the cover, and i could only find the mascot one.

PEACE

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
yea holmz
that shit aint no joke. I finished my undergrad in MIS/CS in fall 02 and I jumped right into gradschool. (Masters CS) If i could do it again i would have taken some time off. This music thing is beging to take away from my work. I guess thats good and bad

Thats why feel Kanyes album. I can feel his struggle. He just choose a different route. Eventually im gonna have to make that choice between school or music. Luckely im not there yet.

Ohh did you hear the shout out to my frat on school spirit
"sigmas step"
Phi Beta Sigma for life baby!! blue phi!!!

LOL i had to put that in there!!!!

class..

T

The Bastard

i go to community college for audio and video prod . one more semester left

TITO

MAESTRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
yo! i saw kanye at the el rey theater out here in L.A. last night and he rocked it yall.
common came out towards the end of the show and he made it clear that he still one of the best if not the best lyrisist out there, they had a freestyle session and common ate canye up.
the only fucked up part was when the base kept making the cd skipp and kanye finaly said fuck it, and had the dude that plays the keys for him play the remaining of the show from the triton.

how do yall feel about kanye trying to bring bagpacks back?
me personally i think we need something new in hip hop and bringing the bagpacks back aint the answer.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
OK i just Really sat down and took a long, hate free listen to kanye's album and i for one have to say that that shit is fucin ill.... its an amazing album from start to finish... the shit is insiparational as fuc ..kanye is spittin sum realness on every track .. he dont hide behind shit.. the fucin beats are sikk .. damn near everyone.. the melodic content is out of control.. this is by far from any album ive heard the one i can personally relate too ... issues kanye is touching are the same issues i deal wit day to day... i was actually blown away by this shit ....... really. fucin sikk i havent heard anyone put this much of themselves into a record in a long ass time... that album is deep as fuc word up and i give infinite props to kanye for putting out such a good and real album .... all that shit about college and about workin shitty jobs and all that...... that shit is so true... when i listened to him i felt like i was listenin to myself.... i give that album the rare status of permanent whip rotation ... fucin great album... for real

Cheo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man the original advanced version of Never Let Me Down had so much soul...the version on the album sounds so canned. The album is tight overall. I just hope his success brings a change to the game.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Originally posted by o-a-ksavage
Hell nah! Eminem would murder Common and anyother rapper out there in a battle, freestyle or written. People are scared to give Em the credit he deserves because he's white. And you said that before about Common eating MC's for breakfast. Get a new line homie.

"get a new line" ? it aint a rhyme..... an aint nobod scared of em! who has he got at that had skills? NAME ONE- outside of canibus, who has been M.I.A anyways. Benzino? Ja? fuck, NSYNC AND BRITTANY SPEARS? oooohh scary... it has nothing to do with his (obvious) whiteness.... if we ever saw this go down we would see com EAT HIM FOR BREAKFAST. i'll say that every time from now on, how's that? it will be my new catch phrase......

picky people man, i swear.. isnt this like the second time you said some stupid shit like that to me about something i said? get a new person to bitch at, "homie".

Cheo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Duece it sounds to me like Kanye went back and re-recorded the song and vocals, but he switched up some of the tracks (possibly because of sample issues). The vocals on the version i got fit the beat better, and that last verse by Jigga isn't there. Send me a note if u wanna hear it so u can decide.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Em kills anyone that comes at him first. What, you want him to start funk with someone he has no problems with just to show that he can beat someone who had skills? He doesn't need to start beef to make a name for himself. Plus you already admitted one by saying canibus, so there's one. I don't know who Common has beat who is so tight. Em murdered Benzino, and i know Benzino is garbage, but if you listen to Benzino's Pull Up Your Skirt then to Em's Nail in the Coffin, it is one of the best diss raps of all time in terms of taking what someone else said about him and fuckin murdering the other person with it. I'll give you that about Em whoridin' Britney Spears and Nsync, that's the weakest thing about him. But Em would kill common. Common is better than i first thought last time i "bitched" at you about it, but why don't you just send him a fuckin' love letter and some flowers and invite him to meet you at a hotel for the night. You're so touchy about anyone who argues about Common not being the best rapper around. I'm fuckin sorry damn. I didn't realize it was such a sensitive subject for you. I don't like it when people talk shit about my girlfriend either, so i understand. But keep on using that line, i don't give a fuck, you would do some shit like that. Download Eminem's Rap Olympic battles before he was famous and see how dope he actually is, "HOMIE!!!!!!!!!"

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
YEAH, IT SEQUENCES A LIL FUNNY TO ME AND IT'S FEW FILLERS, BUT YEAH I AGREES. FIRE , LOVE THE MOOD AND THE CONCEPT BEHIND IT.

BUT ALSO CHECK THAT TWISTA, OH MY DAMN

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
I havent heard it all yet, and I dont usually listen to that commercial stuff but I'm feeling most of the beats,

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
hey, ima change my name to COMMONS JOCKSTRAP... what do you guys think? seein as how i am so sensitive to the fact that people dont think he is the greatest rapper to walk the face of the earth and all, i figure it would be a solid name for myself. and then my signature will say, "PRO COMMON=PRO HIP HOP";... what do you think? then ill write that letter and then, hopefully, me and him can meet up in San Fran and get our lil civil union done on the spot. thanks for the idea, OAK. now i can finally move on with my commonlust..... wow. that was a relief. glad to finally let that out. now I can eat HIM for breakfast!

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by beatmkr1
I havent heard it all yet, and I dont usually listen to that commercial stuff but I'm feeling most of the beats,

Thats the thing , it aint commerical,

just cause it has a video and in the stores , don't mean its commercial.

"Jesus Walks"

"Family Business"

"Spaceship"

These aint commercial songs,

I guess you got to be broke, or you commercial

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
I think it's good and bad. Good because it's a clean, new, fresh sound.... at first listen.... Not to say that he's biting, but you can feel the influence of RZA's sampling technique in there, with a Just Blaze twist, and other styles... I know Kanye and Blaze both blew up around the same time and they both knew each other, I'm not saying he's biting either. It's just you can smell the influence. And its a good smell. It creates a new sound, but I'm just worried about him taking the Neptunes route.... I know he's "Self-Conscious" and all that, but I hope he doesn't stick with the "Through the Wire" / "Slow Jamz" / "H to the Izzo" formula of taking old soul, playing it at 45 rpm instead of 30, putting some insane drums on em and fine tuning a hit. It works, but only until he milks that cow dry. I hope he doesn't start sampling OV Wright... that's my man. Yeah that's right.... None of yall can sample him. If so... shit, Ra said it best...
"Get your snot-box smashed with a nine, smacked with a rhyme
Push your forehead to the back of your mind
Try to explain, what it's like seein your brain
Your insane, whose gonna ID the remains?"

Nah, I'm playin. All artists are fair jackin.

OVERALL, yes, good album.... Sub-par lyrics though. He's dripping of Jigga influence. WHatever. I can't rap either.

peace

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ha! Ha! Ha!

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There's already a thread about this same exact subject. I think an artist being played on the radio and with a video and all in the stores is commercial, but commercial doesn't automatically mean bad. It's just that a lot of the commercial artists right now are corny and weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.