The Neptunes

B

BeatOff

if its hot its hot who cares about sampling? thats the easiest thing in the world to do.

K.O.

Watch out 4 the KnockOut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I think the neptunes are pretty hot but thier beats do begin to sound similar. They got some bangers tho. There was some producer of the year award and they werent even nominated and they were upset about that because between 2002 and 2003 they were doing thier thing!

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Originally posted by BeatOff
if its hot its hot who cares about sampling? thats the easiest thing in the world to do.

Sampling is the easiest thing in the world ? Come on ! Seems like you never tried to say that ... Technically , it's true that anybody can buy some piece of software , cut a portion of a record and loop it ...

but you forgot the most important : finding those damn samples !!! Being a good crate digger is extremely hard you gotta have a pretty good musical ear.... plus you got put them together that also requires the same thing

You also misunderstand something that is very important :
the skills that a sample producer should possess are DJ skills NOT MUSICIAN SKILLS ... that's two very different things...

You should have thought about it because by being blunt like that you're insulting a lot of sample producers on this site ...

I'm not a big fan of keyboard beats but I don't post Anti-keyboard beats threads cuz I know what it takes : composing is hard (but so is sampling )

You gotta respect the two approaches ...
I

B

BeatOff

Originally posted by philsiarri
Sampling is the easiest thing in the world ? Come on ! Seems like you never tried to say that ... Technically , it's true that anybody can buy some piece of software , cut a portion of a record and loop it ...

but you forgot the most important : finding those damn samples !!! Being a good crate digger is extremely hard you gotta have a pretty good musical ear.... plus you got put them together that also requires the same thing

You also misunderstand something that is very important :
the skills that a sample producer should possess are DJ skills NOT MUSICIAN SKILLS ... that's two very different things...

You should have thought about it because by being blunt like that you're insulting a lot of sample producers on this site ...

I'm not a big fan of keyboard beats but I don't post Anti-keyboard beats threads cuz I know what it takes : composing is hard (but so is sampling )

You gotta respect the two approaches ...
I

I've been djing since i was 13 i have crates and crates of vinyl. I've been digging through the millions of records at stores around the bay for over 10 years. Basically its hit or miss. Either you are looking for an era or you know what your looking for. Or you just buy random shit from a certain period and give it a shot and see if you can find something original and usable. What do you mean you have to have a good musical ear? You sample what you think sounds good. Whats so hard about that? Unless you have no idea how to count beats or what rhythym is whats the big deal?

This crate digging thing has always been blown out of proportion. Its not that big of a deal. My point is getting a sample re arranging it and re using it is not as hard as you want to think it is. its harder to play your own melody's on the keys than to use somebody elses and re-arrange them. You can try to justify it all you want but thats the truth. I started off doing nothing but sampling i aint knocking it but taking a drum loop and a sample is not rocket science.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I use to sample up a storm but now I find playing my own melodies over my own chords over my own basslines over my own drums more challenging. Sampling bores the shit out of me now. The elements are already there pre-made. Whats the challenge of it? I can sample in anything, MPC's, Computers, Keyboards, whatever if you know how to use your equipment sampling is simple.

I mean if Bootsy Collins plays a funky bassline and you take a piece of it and put it on drums how hard is that. You didnt play that bassline so whats the point. I want to make music not re-arrange music. I have no respect for people that can only sample. You better be able to make your own shit too.

This is all comming from sombody who used to make 100% sampled shit so I know what I'm talking about.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by philsiarri
alright it's not rocket science on a technical standpoint but artistically don't tell me it's as easy to check one's email ....

You need talent to make any music. But you need more talent to make your own melodies and chords and drums etc than you do to cut a sample and loop it over drums.

Off Topic: Your signature is funny as hell LOL. :D

T-Dash

Fo-net-ic-ly Spee-kin
ill o.g.
The Neptunes are crazy. I think they're aigh't....some nice production and some not so good... :: cough :: The belly dancer :: cough ::....love em or hate em, they can make tracks that blow up and they got a good work ethic. Only problem is all their beats sound the same...I gotta say that although having a signiture production style is good...having all tracks so blatently 'them' gets a lil tiresome.

"We continually strive to make beats that sound different from the last" - Pharrel on the Radio 1 Rap Show. (This was a few months ago so thats the jist of what he said)

H

Henobeat

I think the Neptunes have taken Hip Hop to a new level. A place where hip hop was destined to eventually go in it's process to perfection.

CamCreationz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
The Neptunes...
They are the perfect example of producers who do what they do and get the market to wrap around them. Whatever they touch (or most of it) is gold. They've had their share of whack ass joints, but overall I agree with anyone who says that they have changed the industry.

About all their beats sounding the same...negative.
They do have signature sounds and beat styles, but there are some Neptunes joints that sound like no other song.
Musically they are geniuses.
Chad on those keys...he knows his chords!!!
Pharrell, when that cat puts vocals on a track, its platinum. Instantly.
I dont have time right now but if you count the number of songs that the Neptunes have RIGHT NOW playing on the radio, it would most likely be more than any producer out there.

C

Copenhagen

I did a count once on the Billboard top 50 R&B chart...I think it was roughly 35-40% that was Neptunes...the rest was mixed.

T

ThE cRicKet

I fell the neptunes are dope. I luv their musci they are all original and anything whack that may be heard is only whack to so many people because all folks like different stuff. they are down to earth and not only luv music they respect it pharrel has an ora about him he is the shiz. the music they make will last forever because they know how to tap into the music residing inside. its when you forget where the music comes from when it forgets about you. there si only a few peeps that tap like the tunes...timbaland for sure being one of them..

C

Copenhagen

I'm sure most of us loved that exact sound back with Noreaga's 'Supa thug'. Sure, they still use the same sounds and drums years later, not in every song, but in a lot of them. SO! That's their trademark, what made them famous and in total demand. Seeing what they can charge for their songs, I'd really have to go with the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it". I mean, if I was getting what they do for a song, I wouldn't change it before I could see that the demand was decreasing, then I'd invent something new. I hear few people hating on Premier for also using the same drums and even often the same drumpatterns...not to even hate on Premier, he clearly uses the same old saying, I'm just giving an example.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Recycle

There beats do sound the same, but sometimes they come with some heat. There not really consistant unless they use the same formula as a previous song. Anyone can make one nice beat then recycle the same sounds into another beat. I really like nuthin' by N.O.R.E. though.

B

bE@t Mr.ë?

THIS IS REAL SIMPLE NEPTUNES ARE SOME PHAT ASS PRODUCERS THEY ARE VERY DIVERSE THEY KEEP SOME ORIGINALITY WHICH IN PRODUCERS IS A MUST HAVE (LOOK AT SWISS BEATS 3 YEARS AGO AND NOW). THE PRODUCED BLAZIN TRACKS FOR EVREY1 IN THE HIP HOP COMMUNITY AND PART OF THE POP WORLD . THEY ARE ONE THE TOP 3 PRODUCERS LIST JUST THINK ABOUT THE TRAXS THEY HAVE PRODUCED LET ME LIST A FEW JUST TO REFRESH THE PEOPLES BRAIN.
1.SUPERTHUG-NORE
2.LAP DANCE-N.E.R.D
3.HOLLABACK YOUNG N-FABALOUS
4.EXCUSE ME MISS REMIX-JAY-Z
5.GRINDIN-CLIPSE
6.HOT DAMN-CLIPSE
8.I JUST WANNA-JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
9.WHEN THE LAST TIME-CLIPSE
10.PASS THE CORVASIER-BUSTA RHYMES
THINK OF SOME OF THEM TRAXS WHEN THEY WERE FRESH THE NEPTUNES ARE SCORCHIN MAINSTREAM YEA THATS TRU BUT YOU CANT HATE EM AND HATE IS THE BIGGEST GERM.

members online