The sampling lie?

Just a few years after I started making beats, I realized that some of the most popular Hip Hop beats of all time were sort of a lie. I didn't realize that a lot of those beats were full of full loops from famous songs. I naively thought that the producer actually created that music but that's not true.

Even to this day I still discover some of my favorite songs from the 80s and 90s that contained lots of obviously blatant samples that it's borderline ridiculous.

I just wanted to open up a dialogue about this topic because it's like we've all be fooled by this! Look at how many times Bob James was sampled. It's crazy. David Axelrod. Joe Chambers. Donald Byrd. The list goes on.

It's not a knock to sampling really, it's just been so eye-opening that so many beats were made will full pieces of music. This is why to this day I try to model my beats after The Bomb Squad because Shocklee and them would take little tiny pieces of music to create a loop, rather than jack an entire piece.

Anyway, what was your "a-ha" moment?

Here's an example:

for this very reason, much of me matured onto the guys that made the original. its artistocally a little emabrasing to just fire out the whole loop with your name on it... the gall. madlib kind of does it someimes though right? i still think hes amazing....but some of those; like i used to foam at the mouth over 'movie finale' from beat konducta india- then recently i heard the original and nearly pissed myself-literally slowed it down a bit

Raninthacut

Just a few years after I started making beats, I realized that some of the most popular Hip Hop beats of all time were sort of a lie. I didn't realize that a lot of those beats were full of full loops from famous songs. I naively thought that the producer actually created that music but that's not true.

Even to this day I still discover some of my favorite songs from the 80s and 90s that contained lots of obviously blatant samples that it's borderline ridiculous.

I just wanted to open up a dialogue about this topic because it's like we've all be fooled by this! Look at how many times Bob James was sampled. It's crazy. David Axelrod. Joe Chambers. Donald Byrd. The list goes on.

It's not a knock to sampling really, it's just been so eye-opening that so many beats were made will full pieces of music. This is why to this day I try to model my beats after The Bomb Squad because Shocklee and them would take little tiny pieces of music to create a loop, rather than jack an entire piece.

Anyway, what was your "a-ha" moment?

Here's an example:

i never had that problem, when i first stared. i tried to be like lex luger or zaytoven. But now i have my own sound.

members online