Top 5 mpc

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
I really dont know much about mpc's, but i have a job now, and i really think it would be a good thing to have an mpc in my equipement. I would like to buy the best one, so, what is the top 5 of the best mpc ? I heard that the best one, are the oldest one, i mean, the one that was made in early 90 ...... is it true?

C

Copenhagen

There are only 5 mpc's. MPC 60 (the first), then MPC 2000(XL), then 3000, 4000 and the newest addition being MPC1000.
The 2000 is probably the most used, followed by the 3000. The 60 is old by now, and does not offer the same capabilities as the newer ones. The 4000 is big and has the most features, but the price is also thereafter.

Also, there's other options like the Ensoniq ASR-X and the Roland MV-8000.

People will most likely tell you to go buy the one they have, because they like what they have grown accustomed to. I therefore suggest that you hit up your local store, test them for yourself, and look at the prices and your budget.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I owned the 2000 and I currently use the 3000, never used XL but I had the 2000 fully tricked out with the ROM so it would load the OS instead of using a diskette to boot and I also installed the FX x card..so it basically was upgraded to the XL...plus you can load sounds into the rom so when you turned it on all of the sounds are loaded to the 64pads........I don't really see a HUGE difference in between the 2000 & the 3000 except the 2000 might have a few more features as far as the mixer is concerned...my biggest vote for the 3000 though is the overall feel (oh yeah the Roger Linn Signature)and the 8 outs which you MUST have it works perfectly with protools........the longer you keep the box and work with it you begin to learn a lot about it every day.........I worked out on the 4000 it's a beast but the interface is sort of different from just sitting down and making a track on the 2 or 3000.........I used to own another box too....the Yamaha RS7000 I wish I had it again becuz it had some nice fx and you can actually master on it...

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
YEa MPC's are tight to work with. Its the cetern piece of my studio. But honestly Gyal, since your already on software(FL right??), u should also into reason or cubase. They can do pretty much the same things.

PErsonlly i prefer the MPC casue like cope says thats all i have worked with. But u definaly should check out other options

Just a thought

class...

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
yeah, im with FL, but i really dont feel like learning all over again another program.... reason and cubase aint my cup of tea.... But im sure an mpc will be fun to try. Im sure i will find a way to mix an mpc with fruity, so no one will hear the difference.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Check out the "misc thoughts" section of this site, it has some good info.

http://www.mpc2000xl.com/

The local Guitar Center rep told me that Akai was bought out by another company and they were discontinuing the 3000 and 2000xl (does anyone know if this is true?). Anyways I told him I was looking to buy a 2000xl and he asked if I made music with my computer, so I said yes. He immediately showed me the 1000 and said he preferred this over the 2000xl that he has at home. The memory can be expanded to 128MB and it has a Compact Flash card. The best part was USB compatibility, meaning that samples can be transferred to and from the MPC with ease using a computer. The pads on the 1000 are a bit smaller than those on the 2000xl, but that didn't matter to me much. Oh yeah, the 1000 doesn't have timestretch, but I guess computer programs can handle that. After playing with both of them for a while I decided that the 1000 would be more useful, although hardcore MPC users might think it's just junk.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Maybe true, but these days you can fit an IDE cardreader in your mpc2k(xl) for a few bucks, you still wont have USB but who cares hehe. 32mb can be a bitch but still, 32mb on drums are a lot of drums.

That Akai ADR15 is probably the hottest mpc around, thing is nobody has it hehe.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
M!nd_Ctrl said:
Check out the "misc thoughts" section of this site, it has some good info.

http://www.mpc2000xl.com/

The local Guitar Center rep told me that Akai was bought out by another company and they were discontinuing the 3000 and 2000xl (does anyone know if this is true?). Anyways I told him I was looking to buy a 2000xl and he asked if I made music with my computer, so I said yes. He immediately showed me the 1000 and said he preferred this over the 2000xl that he has at home. The memory can be expanded to 128MB and it has a Compact Flash card. The best part was USB compatibility, meaning that samples can be transferred to and from the MPC with ease using a computer. The pads on the 1000 are a bit smaller than those on the 2000xl, but that didn't matter to me much. Oh yeah, the 1000 doesn't have timestretch, but I guess computer programs can handle that. After playing with both of them for a while I decided that the 1000 would be more useful, although hardcore MPC users might think it's just junk.

Akai lost its U.S. distribution, but will now be distributed by Numark. They won't be discontinued.

If you are mainly a PC user and want to add a MPC to your setup, then the 1000, may be cool, but it in no way beats the 2000xl. The people I know with 1000's have a lot of problems, so check into that. Plus the XL has MANY more features.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
yup /\ /\ /\

you totally just have to weigh out the pros and cons and see which suits you better...

as for problems on the 1000, those are being eliminated as we speak.. AKAI has been constantly fixing bugs on the OS and are finally making us 1000 owners happy..

GYAL : I made beats on the PC b4 an MPC, so i will always be using my PC.. thats why the 1000 is so dope for me.. Plus I perform a lot, and the 1000 is super easy to take around and hook up to my DJ setup.... Basically, if your going to be using a PC, the 1000 is the much better choice.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
If you're really interested in a MPC, then try out the 1K. Try to demo it first and if you like it then go ahead and get it.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Hmm, I've never been fond of any mc, except the 202 hehe. But the 303 was crap, 505 was crap and I guess the 909 is crap too. It's great for a noob, nice to start out and learn some basics but at point where you figure it all out, you come to the conclusion that this machine just wont do it for you hehe. Anyway, that's my experience on the MC-series, I'd rather go for the MV8000.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Producer_GyaL said:
what about Roland MC-909 ??? it said "sampling goovebox"... is it an mpc?

Nah, only AKAI makes MPC's (Midi Production Center). Roland has the MC series (don't know what that stands for), but the only Roland product in the nature of the MPC's that are dope is the MV8000, which rivals the MPC4000. That new sp606 I don't know about.

What is your primary production style? If you do alot of sample chopping, cross the MPC1000 off as it doesn't have a zone/slice function and it will be a monster doing by ear, but that's up to you.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if ur good with FL like you are PG, you don't need an MPC

having said that though, they are dope and have a great rep

If I was you, I'd try to work out exactly why you want an MPC, then consider if you can do eactly the same thing with your current setup (maybe with soem MPD16 pads)

Otherwise if you do get an MP, I recommend the MOC2000XL

holla!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i woz thinking about this actually, i really like the look of the mpc but then i thought is it worth the big price and wot can it offer me that reason and my midi controller doesnt ?! and id have to learn something new all over again id rather concentrate on what im making not how to make it all over again ! that said i mite get an mpd !

members online