UK Hip Hop & Channel U

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
what's wrong with Klash's - It's Murda? It's a dope track and the lyrics are just straight up battle raps... plenty US mcs do that...

I don't see how you can say any of that about UK Hip Hop... Because after all it's still hip hop... And and a lot of it is just as good if not better than our US counterparts...

C

Carpe Diem

^^^^ Its just my opinion.... There are some nice bits out there, but i just dont see how people can compare UK beats to US beats.... Most of em are wack....

As for Its Murda, the beats nice, but i just think he changes up the story/lyrics too often... I do like that track, its kinda nice, but lyrically, it aint all that....

And its true that a lot of UK artists spit some shit... I mean they gotta force wordplay, and the stories in their tracks are usually meaningless... They go on talkin bout space and the stars and shit....

Lol, aint beefin, just voicing my opinion....

Peace

Carpe

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the hip hop artists in the UK may be technically good but they lack the x factor that makes me interested in them as artists.

so i aint saying they shit im just saying i aint feeling alot of it to the point i wanna buy it/go to they shows or bump it in my whip.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
jesus... how the fuck is the scene meant to progress when our own people dislike our music... shocking stuff... anyway... if thats how you feel fair enough...

C

Carpe Diem

berserk said:
jesus... how the fuck is the scene meant to progress when our own people dislike our music... shocking stuff... anyway... if thats how you feel fair enough...

I understand wat ya saying man... Dont get me wrong, i respect these people, and wish them all the best, but just because they from my country i aint gonna buy it... Real recognise real an all that!!! Lol, just kiddin, but on a serious tip, i aint gonna buy ish if i dont like it, just to let the UK scene progress....

CarpeDiem

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
me niether... but ur generalising... if you took the time to look for some UK artists that appeal to you then you'd probably find out that there's a lot of stuff out there that you'd bump...

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
how can you say klashnekoff murda is not a good track?! how can you say it doesnt compare to any US hip hop when i know of a fuckload of US cats who bump this tune regulary?!

and like berserk said, its a battle track, countless american rappers have made the same style tracks and get mad props for it, so why hate on klash?

sounds like youre LOOKIN for a reason to hate uk hip hop...

you gotta give this shit a chance..

rome wasnt built in a day....an all that...

the scene's only startin to get noticed now.....once it grows a bit more and people all over the world are showin it love im sure opinions will change once people see how accepted ukhh will have become..

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I was in brixtion on Tuesday chillin with my UK homeis on my lay over from AFrica. I was having this same arguemnt with them. (we went to some pool hall in west london for the argument)

For my perspective UK hip hop seems watered down. It seems like cheap imatiations. I do realise that i have a limited scope. BUt i have heard alot of UK aritist(more than the avrage american) and I think i have a good apperication for hip hop.

To put it frankly alot of UK cats just aint cutting it. ALot of them are trying to emulate stuff that goes on here in the states when they have no idea what they are talking about. The culture is totally differnt. Can you imagine me tryin to rap with a proper East london accent using east london slang being from florida.

THe only cat i was really feeling was dizze rascal Casue he seemed like he was proud to be british. His style and flow is DISTINCLTY british and you wont find his style over here.

class...

P.S as a side note

-i was pulling so many hoes with my american accent. They all were saying "ohh you sound just like puff daddy" LOL.

-Your subway system is so much easier to get around then here in the states.

-The UK is the way the states should be, its funny that people from the UK think brixtion is ruff. In the states thats a nice middle class black neighbrohood. You guys got it good.

- Who the fuck is lamar and why is his wack ass singing over an old jay-z beat. For god sakes man "50/50" WTF????

-that show the EAST enders is fuckin addictive!!!

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nahh brixton has changed man, it used to be kinda ruff, now its just full of homosexuals...

and dizzee aint hip hop, to us, he is uk garage, or 'grime'.....different genre...even though they tryin to market him as hip hop..

and lemar is some fool, he won a competition, similar to your american idol, and got a deal, and that jay z track was pathetic, but the kids are showin it love...

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
also you have to understand, where american hip hop takes most its influence from older cats in its own scene who inspired them or from old soul/funk cats.....uk hip hop takes its inspiration from american hip hop, cause thats what cats grew up listening to and thats what inspired them to make hip hop....they bound to have some similarities to US shit, but its still got its own thing goin on....and i dont agree about they just talkin about things that happen in the US, if youre talking about stuff like guns and killin people with people always assume uk rappers talk about, then yes we do have guns in this country aswell and people do get killed, you do know london is supposed to have as much gun crime as new york now... but anyway, most good uk rappers talk a lotta sense, you need to look for the diamonds in the ruff to hear the real talent..

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
what artists have you heard classic?

classic

ill o.g.
berserk said:
what artists have you heard classic?

R&B
Jamelia,Misteeq,Lemar,Estelle

HIP HOP & garage
So solid crew, disszy rascal ,57th Dynasty ,Mark P, Roots Manuva,kano,the streets
and alot of other cats i cant name

Plus my boys in brixtion rap also.
by no means am i an expert in UK hip hop. But i still stand by what i said , alot of UK hip hop is watered down cheap imatations(alot of US hip hop is too)

class...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Anyone heard of Street Politiks? they are a good quality group, not as fake as most. the main guy in Street Politiks is the emcee on that last So Solid track (the flute one), but he's still tight (so solid are terrible).

although i think their name is biting The Diplomats jus a bit.

sAfE.

classic

ill o.g.
Chedda said:
also you have to understand, where american hip hop takes most its influence from older cats in its own scene who inspired them or from old soul/funk cats.....uk hip hop takes its inspiration from american hip hop, cause thats what cats grew up listening to and thats what inspired them to make hip hop....they bound to have some similarities to US shit, but its still got its own thing goin on....and i dont agree about they just talkin about things that happen in the US, if youre talking about stuff like guns and killin people with people always assume uk rappers talk about, then yes we do have guns in this country aswell and people do get killed, you do know london is supposed to have as much gun crime as new york now... but anyway, most good uk rappers talk a lotta sense, you need to look for the diamonds in the ruff to hear the real talent..

I dont really crime specfially, im just talkin from a cultural aspect. I wanna here some cats who are bringing some new stuff to the table. Casue its differnt in the UK, ive seen it with my own eyes. London is such a great and diverase city with so much going on. Im just dissapointed that the hip hop sceen hasent lived up to what i have experinced in yalls city.

As far as crime goes, it is differnt though chedda, I mean there is crime everywhere in the world but i live in a city now where there is 3 murders a day(everyday). Im sure the UK has some intense stuff going on but its not in yourface like the states. There is certain things you have to worry about here in the sates that you dont have to worry about in the UK

Thats a good thing though!!!!! I love it over there. Im seriously considering a 6 month consultant postition in london.

class...

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
classic is right about the difference in culture... UK heads think they got it hard... But they don't compared to the US...

but

So solid crew is garage... Sometimes they aight... I got love for Dizzee... 57th Dynasty Are Mainly American.. I think they got like 2 english members... Mark P???? Mark B or Rodney P? (Mark B has an annoying voice... Rodney P is a legend on the UK scene)

Roots Manuva has lots of heavy tracks... Kano could be better... I got love for the streets... But not something I bump on the regular...

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well now, since i been in the UK nor for e 3 months i feel i can speak a bit on this topic. Basically i didnt know much about UK hip hop before i cam over here. I knew the Streets which i like a lot for being original and talking about shit that is real, but thats not really even hip hop. besides that i knew Roots Manuva who i thought was kinda tight, but nothin amazing.

After learning a good amount about it i do think there is some decent talent in the Uk, i mean Jehst and Klash have nice ryhmes and Skinnymans sounds aight, i mean they can all flow, thats obvious but i do feel that something is missing . i mean on Jehst's entire album 'The Return of the Drifter' he doesnt say anything meaningful or conceptual throughout the whole thing. basically he just talks shit and then instead of even considering a hook,l he just cuts up and old Wu sample or Nas or some shit. The beats are decent but i think it takes more.

As far as Dizzee goes, i cant really feel it. i have both albums Boy in Da corner and Showtime and neither one really appeals to me. But I appreciate that he is trying something different, so atleast i give him credit for that.

I dont know, i guess overall i think there is a lot of talent, but the big names over here just dont appeal to me as coming with anything unique or fresh to listen to.

I am workin with a lot of kids over here though both producers and MC's and i have found that there is a good scene and a lot of talented kids doing it, there just not to any level of recognition yet. I think Uk hip hop will be eventually step up, its just gonna take a bit of time...

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Yea class you brought up some good points there to be honest !
The people that appeal to me are mainly dizzee rascal coz he does his own thing ok some of his beat are dodgy but woteva, the streets coz the guy is honest and original ! i like others like roots manuva etc, people like jehst ok but they just don't have any charisma etc people like jay-z eminem etc step on a track and u know its them boom first bar straight away i dnt think people like jehst etc can do that theres something missing yea they can rhyme but they just dont have that something extra special that makes them stand out !

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i can definatly understand why people find it hard to get into uk rappers.....the rap style is very boring and monotonous, and they aint got no expression in they voice, its like every mother fucker reading off a notepad everytime they rhyme and that aint good.....but there is a lot of potential, i for one fully support uk hip hop and will till it turns wack...