***Vinyl Turntables vs. CD Turntables***

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
there was a thread like this b4 awhile ago, but the search didnt spot it..

im upgradin' my production setup to start the new year. Im new at the this scratchin' shit but im a fast learner, and i was wondering whats better... cd tables or vinyl tables. mainly used for beat production purposes and acouple parties.

i got TOO MANY cds so i wont really have to dig if i get some cd tables. plus if i wanna dig, i can just use the internet. but i heard cd tables scratchin' just aint the same as vinyl.

if i get vinyl tables i'll prolly have to spend some dollas on hundreds of vinyl records. but at the same time i can find some rare ol skool shit to sample n' shit. plus vinyl sounds better.

note: i can spend no more than $400-450

so whats da deal yall. all da professional dj niggas help me out..

thanx alot

:headbang:

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Beatz, just from reading your thread...I would suggest that you get the CD players mainly because the benefits are...if you ever want to get rid of them (like you don't really catch on to scratch'n), they will be much easier to move than t-tables. You said "vinyl sounds better"...hmmm? I'm not that sure about that...after millions of hours of scratch'n a CD will sound the same as the first day you put it on and vinyl wont come close to that. Go with the CD Players...

--dac

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
vinyl sounds better...cd's have better quality, theres a huge difference.
imo. tape sound better then cd because of the analog punch it gives off i have yet hear duplicated by cd.

if your sampling then i suggest you get the tables, but it takes months, yet more usually year/s to learn how to scratch vinyl. and good luck digging many quality samples of the net

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
If your'e spinning mostly new music and not oldies then go with either one....there is not a huge difference between vinyl and cd nowadays..back in the day and old records there was a big difference or even if you put an old record onto your tables and spin, we'll have the ol analog vs digital discussion..LOL....one reason why old vinyl....(The shidd that we love to snatch the old samples btwn say 1970-1981 or so, has a lot to do with how the playback worked back in the day on the old stereo systems and the pure technological constraints....I can't go into all of the details, for I am not GOD...LOL but it will give you some things to search for....but Sub bass was unknown back in the 60's you might find some low end bass but you had that punchy fender or just raw low end shidd...well tweeters didn't exist either<----referring to like b4 74 or so for consumer....so music was "hi fi" but lacking what we have now for the most part....the very hi end and the very low end....anyhow if you take one of those old records and play it back on say your numarks and if you can get ahold of one of an old record player say around 70-78 or so.....play it back notice the difference will be very noticeable.....in comparison the numarks may be crisp for the hi end and low stuff we listen to.....but the record will sound much better on a hi end oldie......needle and system....why???? they were meant for each other.......now heres what you may want to do is record your records straight from one of those old goodwill stereos to cd...this way you don't suffer a lot of analog to digital loss.......Digital skims some of the good stuff that was layed down in those vinyl grooves a long time ago......classics recorded from reel to rea in a live studio will always sound better cut straight to vinyl......now there are a lot more details involved but this should give an idea of what you might be up against..........since you are gonna be spinning new shidd though I suggest you go for the cd or the vinyl....there is a small difference between vinyl today and cd.....plus most of the instruments used as backdrops are usually digital instruments.....

E

Equality 7-2521

cd turntables are straight up wack. you cant even put your hand on it to scratch.....what kind of crap is that?

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah...im bout to get me some too, this kat got me hooked on mixing and ish. if you want to SCRATCH, you get turntables off top. doing that on the cds would suck, if you just want to rock parties and beat match then just get the cds. im gonna get both, cuz i got hella cds too, but im just gonna use the cds to play music at parties that i might have and scratch for the fun of it then maybe in my music when i get better.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Speaking from a Dj's point of view I would say that nothing beats the feeling of really having your hands on wax, BUT saying that CD's are more technologically advanced than vinyl and offer many advantages. Cd's last alot longer, they don't require as much cleaning as vinyl does, alot more can be stored on cd's, and they don't warp like vinyl does.

The advantage of CD turntables are that they never skip, they don't require a needle/cartridge (which will require changing around 6 months and lessens the life of vinyl), they have advanced features like delay, cue points, looping etc. The dis-advantage of using cd's for scratching is that singles with accapellas and scratch records with vocal snippets and scratch sounds are only available on vinyl (so you would need to burn it to cd), and of course using a jogwheel on a cd player is not even comparable to the feeling of hand on wax, and also cd tt's cost more than your usuall technics 1200's.

But of course with all that, the great thing about having cd turntable is the ease of conveniece and use. If you want to scratch your own voice, or drum hit or whatever all you need to do is burn it on cd, then there you go. So from a producer point of view I would reccomend a cd turntable, but if you want to become a hardcore hip-hop Dj i'd reccomend the vinyl turntables.

Although I wouldn't purchase a cd turntable just yet, because several companies are about to release their own cd turntable to rival the pioneer cdj-1000. One machine to look out for is the numark cd ttable, this one's cool because you actually use a piece of vinyl which controls your cd. All the above rambling only really apply's to high end cd turntables and not the cheaper one's.

Another possible route to look at is Stanton's final scratch, becuase on that you use your vinyl tt's and connect them to a box which connects to your computer and you can scratch up all the sound files on your computer. But finalscratch costs alot of dough.

Hope this helps

L8er

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Mr. Messenger
cd turntables are straight up wack. you cant even put your hand on it to scratch.....what kind of crap is that?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yes messenger ! CD turntables are wank ! ask any REAL DJ CDs are shit ! anybody with all knowledge of turntablism shouldn't even have to ask the question ! vinyl rules full stop if ur gonna do it do it properly buy proper decks simple as !

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
with everything said...dont be scared 2 change formula's away from the norm

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
If you want to get turntables get some techniques. Cd's spinning on a turntable. It makes me want to laugh. lol I don't care how technologically advanced they are. Vinyl is where its at. I rarely even buy cd's anymore.

I

icelizarrd

I've been looking into getting a turntable (or two) lately.. I'd be using it primarily for scratching/turntablism..

But I have to admit, using CDs sounds tempting (mainly because I could burn my own work). Can someone fill me in a little about what scratching with CDs is like? Is it possible to get the same sounds scratching with a CD that you could with vinyl? If I'm interested in scratching, would there be any point in using CDs at all?

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo str8t up. If you just need it for the studio. Get the cd tt. If you doing parties either or would be good. Im a str8t up vinyl dj . Have been for the last 7 years. But yo after using them cdj 1000s at several clubs I've djed @ man im bout to get them. They got the new model out now (mk2,added digital outs and abunch of crap I don't need) So the original models are selling cheap used. I never used the numark1s (not sure if there out yet) but hear good thinngs about em. Like was mentioned they have a piece of vinly on them to act as the controler surface (touch sensitive just like scratching vinyl) technic is also bringing out a model next spring in us. And sooner in uk .it looks like a 1200 only no tone arm and has a lot of buttons. . Yo even evil dee uses dem cdjs man I was talking to him and he was like " aint no point of taking all dem cases of records to the club when I can have all dat same music in a couple booklets of cds. He take his cdjs wit him if the club don't got em. And yes to all those who don't know. The scratching is like 99% the same as vinly. If you heard a song scratched on the cd tts and the same song scratched on vinyl turntables you would not be able to tell the difference. Yo im still keeping my 1200's but im adding 2 cdjs to em asap. My tts will never leave the house again .

And this is from a REAL DJ/TURNTABLIST who has been djing for over 7 years(and scrathes every thing.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea and this is from a REAL DJ/tunrtablist whos been doing its for 6 years aswell i still think CDs suck and al the sets i've heard people scratch with don't sound nothing like vinyl !
and vinyl stil rules over CDs theres just sumthing about vinyl that CDs will never be able to copy ! with vinly its like the rawest form !

E

Equality 7-2521

Originally posted by icelizarrd
I've been looking into getting a turntable (or two) lately.. I'd be using it primarily for scratching/turntablism..

But I have to admit, using CDs sounds tempting (mainly because I could burn my own work). Can someone fill me in a little about what scratching with CDs is like? Is it possible to get the same sounds scratching with a CD that you could with vinyl? If I'm interested in scratching, would there be any point in using CDs at all?

youll never get the same sounds with cd that you can with vynil.

cd mixer allows you to mix.

turntables allow you to mix, scratch and juggle.....and its all hands on.

cd mixers make me sick

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
For starting out, CD's are better. It's newer technology, you can't really hurt the CD while mixing or scratching whereas you can destroy vinyl before you play it for anyone else. You can make your own "sniblet CD's" with your very own phrases, with other peoples phrases, or whatever you can imagine. You cant do that as easily with turntables.
There's just so much more that you can do with CD's. Most of you have good points and some of you have NO clue what you're talking about but I hold to CD players for someone starting out is better. Once youve got the techniques of scratchin and you want to continue your skillz....get you a set of 1210's.

--dac

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
now i've calmed down lol, yea i mean there is a place for CD decks it does make the mixing of two records a lot easier and for some people this is exactly wot they want, if you literally just want to mix songs 2getha the easiest way possible they are the way forward however don't claim to be a real DJ as to do that you should be using real turntables and being slightly more creative !

members online