Vinyl VS. MP3

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hunting for vinyl is very time consuming, not to mention finding quality vinyl. I dont fight technology I incorporated into my beat making. Filter it eq you wont know the difference. Its the sample itself thats most important.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
theres obviously some records that you will never find now if it comes up on mp3 you'd be stupid not to use it, i use both you can tell a difference when both samples are clean but once you've finished the song and EQ'd it then its much harder to tell for example some people will sample from vinyl then spend hours cleaning up the sound so you can never tell it was from vinyl and other people will take and mp3 and make it sound like it was sampled from a vinyl !

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I just like the idea of starting w/ quality "before-hand"....Before any EQing or any of that even takes place, so therefore Vinyl eats Mp3s for lunch.... Plus, its the same in comparison to how many people have noted on illmuzik about choosing the right sample say for your drums....if the samples shit, then you best move on to another sample thats more appropriate and not crap...vinyl to mp3 is the same thing. Start with quality, End with quality. Theres always the fact that so-an-so may actually want that lossy digital sound of the mp3 to add a certain color to his/her track for the sake of achieving a gritty/lower-bit rate sound, so if thats the case, so be it. Theres somthin about digital compression versus analog degredation that jus doesnt float my boat tho....it basically sounds worse to me, but thats all personal pref. obviously.

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
alota songs u fuck with on MP3 if u are fuckin wit rare shit are Vinyl rips to mp3 so it pretty much is the same thing unless u getting cd rips.... i mean i fuck with both and i think vinyl is way iller sounding than MP3 cause its grimyer but honestly if u gettin MP3s form the right people its the same shit alota the time peace

Paul_Caruso

ill o.g.
trinidad said:
a 192 mp3 is aiight too think of it this way a cd is only at 96kps so a mp3 a3 192 is that mus more it hink any thing after that u get that digital noise i dunno how to explainit tho

Are you on crack?

CDs don't have a bitrate, they are 16-Bit, 44.1kHz, pure, uncompressed Pulse Code Modulation formatted data.

Music in this format is about 10 megs a minute.

If your mp3 bitrate takes less up than 10 megs a minute - IT HAS BEEN COMPRESSED. Compression isn't magic, it removes parts in the data that have been deemed unimportant. How much of the sound is important depends on what bitrate is used.

It is said that 192k is the closest to cd quality whilsts still retaining a small filesize, but it all depends on what you hear personally when you listen.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
ron herman said:
hunting for vinyl is very time consuming, not to mention finding quality vinyl. I dont fight technology I incorporated into my beat making. Filter it eq you wont know the difference. Its the sample itself thats most important.

but hunting is part of the fun of digging. and plus how great is it to be sitting infront of your computer thinking what mp3 to download? unless you know every obscure song on every record made in the 70's it would still be a waste of time. and like i said before, not a lot of those obscure songs are on mp3 because people dont convert them to mp3 because maybe they were lame ass songs in their era. IMO

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Paul_Caruso First of all no need for the crack reference, buddy! Aiight
Second I was mistaken by something i read B4.
thanks for the up date though.
ANYway id sample anything howeva on an MP3 id only mess with 192 either way.
Yes vinyl has a distict sound but if its not available its not available feel me like MArkn said b4 ud be stupid not to use an mp3 of something u cant find on vinyl. My crates is deep but somtime an MP3 closes option. U can emulate vinyl with programs like izotope vinyl its not the same but it works prretty dam good i know cuz ive fooled MANY ppl with that plugin and some of my own melodies.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Well dude.. Is there a different you ask. There is a big differense.

here goes.
A vinyl is analogue (if it's done right with DAT and shit, no cumputers).
So the sinuscurves will be whole therefore. When the tracks become digital the curves will be cut, so the tops and downs ov the sinuscurve will be broken.
Therefore there is a tecnically better soundquality on the vinyl then the CD. Even though you might not hear it. But it's a fact that the soundquality of the vinyl is warmer and to me, nicer.

And the mp3. Well, hell... It's compressed audio. It's like comparing the quality of a DVD to a Cinematic Analogue Reel..
I work at the movies so this I know.
A DVD is compressed information from the original Reel that's shown at the movies. When compressed it's only 5 - 10% of the original information left.
Same shit with the MP3.

Analogue is always better whatever people might say.

Peace man / Andreas

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
I agree also sometimes the channels get mixed on cd versions of the same songs, howeva the main rule is Use what u got. I u cant get it one way us it the way u got it feelme. Cuz an obscure record that is mad hard to find might run ya some doe but u can get it in a different format way cheaper sometimes and it is more pheaseable to do that in my op. Cuz personally I aint spending 100 dollars on a record yet....

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Aiit. that's true.
But the question at hand was if the soundquality of an MP3 is better/worse then vinyl. Not if you can use MP3..
Man you can use old 78"s if you like just make it swing and it's good.

But no denying. Mp3 has only got about 5 - 10% of the original information left. And that's to me a differ in soundquality to big to be ignored.
An easy comparison to make is this.
Analougue is 3D and compressed wav is 2D in comparison to information destributed.

but as I previously stated

[It doesn't matter what you produce on, only where you produce from... The heart]

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
andreas said:
It doesn't matter what you produce on, only where you produce from... The heart]

Very True...... I think We can all Agree On that.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Well dude it's a cliché but it's true.
I hear people with the biggest studio, the phattest MPC's linked up 500 of em. But it still sounds flat and just like, shit.

peace man

beatzbybuddy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I use MP3's cause you can just downlaod them at your convienence, but vinyal like everyone else says, is warmer and more grimmy to me. You can add that static sound with effects to MP3's and see what you get.. Cool Beans..

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
MP3 at any bit rate has loss of quality because of the compression you lose alot in the high end. Most people can't hear it but it's there or should i say not there. When you sample off vinyl directly to WAV or AIFF and keep it to WAV or AIFF it is guaranteed to sound better depending on the original source(scratched, dusty vinyl, what A/D converters you use, etc). Hope that helps. In the long run use what you want and works for you. PZ