Week of April 3, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
ABC First attempt at sampling so there isnt too much I can say except if this was a circus clown theme sample flip, you'd have taken it easy!! lol na im jus playin though. Hopefully you have a grasp of how sampling kind of works and will experiment with all of the endless possibilities sampling gives you. Dont be affraid to jump out an try something new or outside of what you consider normal. This also needs better mixing, the kick drum was weak and the clap sound used was very generic!! Try using better quality sounds and research hella into compression and EQ.

Sorrow
This was kinda cool, I liked how you kept the star wars theme vibe in the actual sample. Drums were cool I liked the switch ups and what not. The bassline seemed ugh.. i dunno if its not in key or something but somethin about it I wasnt feelin. This was a decent flip though, nice job on it.

Ruimixx
I liked what you did with the sample but the drums need to be mixed better with the sample. Possibly turn down the 808 so its only there slightly an get a phat compressed kick layered on that. is that an FL preset hihat I'm hearin? and snare?? Mike!! lol na i'm jus givin you a hard time. You should really try for better drum samples if you can besides the FL presets though, if thats what you're using. The hihat sounded pretty cheasy though. If the snare was compressed and phattened up a lil with EQ it'd compliment the layered kick better. A better choice of hihat would make this better as well. Arrangement was bad though man, keep it up.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Damn 5th! You busted me man lol!, yeah, last night I struggled and then got lazy on this one. After I finally decided what I wanted to TRY to do with the sample, I said phuck it and used the drum samples a la cheese. Thanks for the feedback (gems!), your always on point. I'm gonna put some more time on this one tonight and try to fix this debacle. Holler back when I repost, really appreciate bro.

Peace

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
ABC: umm, this is very interesting, it reminds me of clowns for some reason, it sounds aight, it just doesnt sound hip hop to me, but i havent heard any of your other tracks so this might be your style, keep grindin man

sorrow: yeah you really didnt do anything with the sample, but some producers chop and other loop, its all good, i like the effect you put on the sample, gave it a spacey feel to, and the drums are tight, really face paced, more i listened the more i liked it, good job

ruimixx: ohh! okay this shit is tight, def. feelin it, the chops are def on point and i liked the drums used, and the little "who run it" scratches is a nice touch to the track, i only wish it were longer, but yeah i love this flip man, excellent work, keep up the good work

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks Grafik! appreciate it man. I'm getting a lot of knowledge from these weekly flip episodes, so hats off to you man for getting these started.

I gotta say though, this last star wars flip kinda psyched me out. I couldn't really do anything with this until last night and I been listening to this sample off and on since monday.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
ABC: this is one of those trx that would be on early Busta, Eminem, or Luda... u know they would rip this, and kids would be lovin it. not my forte, and i think it mite need something else, but a skilled Emcee would make u 4get all that stuff.

Sorrow: its cool, everything is in synch, i think it needs more (the sample), but the drums are good, no need to change them. try to add another sample part if u can. i like the sound of the bassline as well.

Ruimixx: i like this as well. couldve been longer so i can enjoy it more, but i can see where its goin. much better than your previous trx, ur learnin fast! i gotta step up my game. nice 808... i dont where that part of the sample is, but its a good piece to use. good job.

da relic

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Ruimixx said:
Thanks Grafik! appreciate it man. I'm getting a lot of knowledge from these weekly flip episodes, so hats off to you man for getting these started.

I gotta say though, this last star wars flip kinda psyched me out. I couldn't really do anything with this until last night and I been listening to this sample off and on since monday.

sometimes u gotta sample/chop different pieces of the song, and even take a day off, to find a special piece u want to use. im doin that all the time, especially when u chop n slice. u did a good job though, its about taking ur time, not rushing thru it. thats why we got a week. ur last piece is very good.

da relic

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
slik da relic said:
Ruimixx: i like this as well. couldve been longer so i can enjoy it more, but i can see where its goin. much better than your previous trx, ur learnin fast! i gotta step up my game. nice 808... i dont where that part of the sample is, but its a good piece to use. good job.

da relic

Thanks Slik for the wordz. I'm trying out different effects that I never use, reversing slices and stuff like that. Really just scratching the surface of what can be done. (or should be done)

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
berserk: very nice flip man, def. feelin it, the chops are really nice and the delay effect you put on them add a really nice touch, and the drums are drums are most def. knockin in this joint, bass fits the track really nice, dont think of star wars when i listen to it, so good job man, really nice track

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
damn i didnt see this thread for a minute.

tricky spins.. I liked the revised edition better. Glad you fixed the hihats, this flows much better. That was really the only thing I noticed though, the end result is that it sounds good though man.

krysolite.. this was pretty cool man, I like the direction you took this. I liked the drum pattern as well. The breakdown is sick as hell too, I'm really feelin this. You really put a lot into this I can tell. The 2nd breakdown is cool too, a lil on the rough side but its cool. This was a nice listen, only thing I would say is the mixing could be a lil more defined so the drums stick out a lil more but they werent too bad. Nice job on this.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
5th Sequence said:
damn i didnt see this thread for a minute.

tricky spins.. I liked the revised edition better. Glad you fixed the hihats, this flows much better. That was really the only thing I noticed though, the end result is that it sounds good though man.

krysolite.. this was pretty cool man, I like the direction you took this. I liked the drum pattern as well. The breakdown is sick as hell too, I'm really feelin this. You really put a lot into this I can tell. The 2nd breakdown is cool too, a lil on the rough side but its cool. This was a nice listen, only thing I would say is the mixing could be a lil more defined so the drums stick out a lil more but they werent too bad. Nice job on this.

i revised the hats and took out the repeating sample i had in the verses. it's still in the chorus but not in the verses and i added a few more minor changeups. polished it a little

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey are we on for this week? Wherez the flip at?

Grafik - I could post one this afternoon if you got a lot goin on. Lemme know.
Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online