Week of April 3, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
like i said the flips that i do, are done in like an hour at most and they are just rough versions of it, i'm not gonna put in a lot of time on something i'm not gonna use, if i were to keep this, i would add more change ups and a hook, etc. like i do with all of my other tracks, remeber this just for fun and to see how others flip the sample

not like i am putting this track on a CD or some shit..........

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Flip another one on em' Grafik, and put em to bed mayne. They callin you out!!!! <grin>

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
yo thanks for the feedback guys much much appreciated. I actually put a lot of time into these if i'm feelin the sample. So far i think i'm averaging about 2+ hours a beat. I cant seem to leave it alone if it doesnt sound like what I want it to.

I know theres that annoying click in that sample part too, I didnt feel like goin back into beatslicer and fixing it lol. My drums are compressed and then Eq'd not to interfere with the sample too much. The snares were sampled at 12bit. They were originally some really bright snappy snares that you hear but after being resampled it came out perfect.

I'll return reviews whenever you guys are ready.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
alright guys, i hope you're all ready for this. i finally got around to doing it. i hope you like it, cuz i fuckin love how it came out.

and just so you know, this is ALL FROM THE SAMPLE. everything except for the drums is cut straight from the sample

check it...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=145744

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
at tricky spinz

I think that's the way it's supposed to be.. no composing to ti.. maybe a lil bass but rather everything from the sample that's more creative.. other wise u just compose ur beat and add a thing or two from the sample.. i'll peep it when i get home

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
If you guys wanna do it like that its cool with me. I just did my actual style though, chopping a sample and composing a whole song over it.

On to the reviews though...

I like this man, especially when the other main section of instruments drop in. Everything was smooth. Wasn't feelin the hihat jingle too much, but the sample arrangement was def. in its zone. There are those high register/faint strings in the background that are sick as hell. That is really nicely done. Only thing i'd say is the main melody gets a tad repetitive but it sounds dope. Possibly EQing different melodies and panning could help it breath more but it actually sounded clear as it was.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
If you guys wanna do it like that its cool with me. I just did my actual style though, chopping a sample and composing a whole song over it.

I like this man, especially when the other main section of instruments drop in. Everything was smooth. Wasn't feelin the hihat jingle too much, but the sample arrangement was def. in its zone. There are those high register/faint strings in the background that are sick as hell. That is really nicely done. Only thing i'd say is the main melody gets a tad repetitive but it sounds dope. Possibly EQing different melodies and panning could help it breath more but it actually sounded clear as it was.

yeah yeah, however people wanna do it is fine. i just wanted to let people know how i approached it with just the sample and no extra composing. i wasn't really feelin that cymbal either, i kept lookin but couldn't find exactly the sound i wanted and it was getting to be WAY too late so i just picked something which i could live with. hell, i have class in 6 hours. haha, i'm gonna be so tired for tomorrow. oh well, i had a good time with it. thanks for the rest of your kind words, glad you liked it.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
5th Sequence said:

Man i really feel your beats ur style is hard man! real hard, gutter.. and i'm not telling u to do different but it'd be nice right? if u don't feel for this than cool...

Ur style is sick! u know i feel ya right? so don't worry dog..

Peace

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
no need to question Graf... he's showed time and again that he can flip a trk... and if u aint flippin these, this shit can become tedious, especially for a hardware user like me. so u gotta listen to the flip knowin that it mite be just a ruff sketch of what it could be.

i like Graf's for what it is, a skeleton... to add meat to the bones is extra work, but u hear the foundation, and thats whats hot!

5th: i like the whole composition, the keys, everything seems to fit. no problems here.

Tricky: i like the hardness of the trk... this is similar to Graf's trk, a sketch of what could be. thats how u gotta look at it.

ok... here's mine... theres some pops in the sample i couldnt get rid of. i got a second one in the works as well.... this is for u breakers and poppers....lol...

NEWSTARS FLIP:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=507549

da relic

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
slik.. yeah good chemistry on that flip..u took it at a risky level.. but the outcome was hot.. great work kid!!! 1

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Tricky - Nice track, liked the tempo and the subtle changes. the drums fit real nice and i liked the jingle hi-hats. lol! go figure

slik da relic - Damn that was the shit! I dig the bounce-type track. The bass is real cool on this also.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Slic da relic
I'm feelin this. This is pretty tight actually the way you used a small part of the sample an created a whole different vibe from it. The 1st change up was a tad rough but it works. The second change up was cool too just the bass line sounded a lil weird. I'm really feelin that main melody though. The drum work is nice too, everything meshes well. I like where you went with this, props.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
tricky spinz: sounds tight man, i def. feelin the drums and the horns used, i see this being a intro track to an album, but everything has its own spot in the beat, it sounds clear and crisp, like it man, keep up the good work

slik da relic: i like how you come original and think out of the box on your flips, it sounds nothing like the original star wars sample, which is a good thing, and i love the delay on the the chops, change ups are also nice, always nice, keep grindin homie

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
slic- took a different approach. i would have liked to see some more use of the sample provided. i think it feels a little empty because you didn't use that much from the sample except a couple of slices. i like what you have but feel it needs more.

A

A.B.C.

Grafik : real laid back, real nicely done, I was diggin the whole thing start to finish.
5th: I was feeling what you laid above the sample, real laid back also. Like this is the joint you just sorta vibe to. You dont get wild to it, but you just sorta vibe to it.
Trickyspins: yours has a depth to it that I think comes from everything coming straight form the sample. the beat you put on it was nice, but the little things in your track like the strings the listener can barely hear really put it together.
slik: this one has that bounce, the others were more laid back, this one makes you sit up a little. I really couldnt have guessed where the sample came from if I didnt know, no lie. But its a hot track nonetheless. The beat you put on it was real nice.

well since this is my first post, might as well make it count.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=510740&songID=3748917

This is my first attempt at sampling, I sorta hit a creative brick wall on it but for a first attempt I guess I'm happy with what I did. Its not on the level your's are at, but thats what I'm here for. Do your worst.

S

Sorrow

My version

http://www.tightbeatz.com/download.php?fileid=51105

alittle embarassed to sumbit it though, cause i didnt do anything too it really, if i had more time i would though.

5th- was really feelin this one the most, the bass went very smooth, the xlphone or piano was a nice touch, nice job real nice. drums were tight.

slik- wish i had enough time to be as creative as you were with the sample, this is what sample is about when you can turn star wars into a beat that has bounce. wasnt feelin the beat as a whole but i liked the creativity

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
slik - yea u did that ho. I liked it. the first change up was a lil off as stated earlier but other than that i like it.

ABC - something.. or some things sound greatly out of tune. the pianos dont seem to match, and possibly the bass too? so it makes the whole track feel silly. keep at it fam.

Sorrow - ok, phasin around in the beginin. when the beat drops it reminds me of something that would pop on at the begining of a game show or something iono. but it definately screams star wars.

S

Sorrow

yeah i coulda came stronger on this, next flip contest ima bring my A game. thx for the feedback appcrieate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.