Week of August 22, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Low....I think the drum pattern that you used let you down. IMO a more driving beat would have carried this one to the finish line. Props though..

Yeah I went for a more mellow laid back one but I was actually struggling a bit with the drums on this one. My chops were all offbeat a bit and trying to put down a solid pattern just wasn't happening. After several attempts that was the best I came up with before I started feeling lazy and just said fuck it.

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
My Beat posted in a minute!!!!

Lil Drama Boy- Ok this is somethin I wasnt expecting... Where the knockin drums at?? I know you gonna put some more work into it so I wont be too critical on you...

2Good- I guess you being tired and stressed lately has got you makin some Ill ass beats...This shit is dope...I like what you did with this...The composition over it is dope too...Youve been killing it with the drums lately....ILLL!

Manguino- Haha yea this is dope...I like what you did with the drums...Sounds real hard...I like this....Nice Crashes...the ride is cool....Yea this is Thumpin...

Low G- YEAAAA the intro is hot......You took this another way with it as well...nice swing to this...haha I love writing reviews high as fuck....yea this is a dope beat...Nice and chill...

Iceman- Wasnt really feelin the intro that much with the sped up voice...The drums are cool I like the sound of them. Whats up with the change up??

Here is my flip...Title speaks for itself

"Major"
major.mp3 - 10.45MB

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Yeah I went for a more mellow laid back one but I was actually struggling a bit with the drums on this one. My chops were all offbeat a bit and trying to put down a solid pattern just wasn't happening. After several attempts that was the best I came up with before I started feeling lazy and just said fuck it.

lol I feel u. I really couldn't figure out how to make it hip hop, Manguino did it well. I just went with the feeling that it gave me. Maybe longer chops would have made it flow a little better for you. It's all about making it do what you hear anyway....Respect!

My Beat posted in a minute!!!!

Lil Drama Boy- Ok this is somethin I wasnt expecting... Where the knockin drums at?? I know you gonna put some more work into it so I wont be too critical on you...

Be critical homie, you always give me props when it's deserved so if this one stinks....lol I can take that from you. As far as the drums...what I laid down is what I felt from the sample. Took me awhile to find out the direction I wanted to take it and that's what I came up with. It's not the best but its descent.

Here is my flip...Title speaks for itself

"Major"
major.mp3 - 10.45MB

ok....I c you went the longer chop route. Shit is nice. I like how you use the high pitched vocals but they're short and you used them more like a fill in instrument. That's a good look!

Real nice flips so far.....I'm impressed! Dudes are on there sample grind fa sho. As long as this stays a "showcase" and no one trys to flip into a contest I'll stay involved. Like Low said...(I think) its cool hearing how people in diff't parts of the country and the world rather, can hear a sample so diffently but are able to come up with something nice. That's what its all about!

2good - the drums sound like live drum loop if u programmed them from scratch thats gd skill u got

Thanks man, thats made my day. They are totally composed drums. I just did what I thought would fit the sample I had, the sample was sort of half speed, so to inject a little life into it, I did an unorthodox style of drum pattern for me. Im glad they went down OK, i wasnt sure myself.

Feedback.

Lil Drama. The start sounded so promising, but once the beat came in, I really wasnt feeling the drums or the choppyness of the track. I think you rushed this one a bit, sounds a lot like some of my early samplework. I cringe sometimes when I hear that older stuff now, and you will too one day, lol

Manguino. Nice bass on this one, Im feeling that. I like the choice and placement of chops, not really feeling the drum sounds or the sped up vocal, altho its interesting how you acheived that effect with it.
This track has great potential, there is a ride cymbal in there that is a little too loud, I like the sample but bring the volume down a touch IMO. Good work.

Low G. Ha, we chose the same sample, well for the intro of your track anyway. I like the little loop you have created for the verse, I would definitly concentrate on some hot drums for this. The rest is fine, just not liking the snare much, and the kick is a little low in the mix.

Iceman. This is my fav flip so far. I like it. It certainly has an edge. I like the vocals on this one. I like all of it. Id make the bass a little more prominent tho, but only a little.

Spanish. This is another good flip, im feeling this one. Has a nice atmosphere, I like the chop selection. And I like the drums too, the bass is a little low, but that could be becuase its sub bass and I dont have subs.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
lol I feel u. I really couldn't figure out how to make it hip hop, Manguino did it well. I just went with the feeling that it gave me. Maybe longer chops would have made it flow a little better for you. It's all about making it do what you hear anyway....Respect!

Be critical homie, you always give me props when it's deserved so if this one stinks....lol I can take that from you. As far as the drums...what I laid down is what I felt from the sample. Took me awhile to find out the direction I wanted to take it and that's what I came up with. It's not the best but its descent.

ok....I c you went the longer chop route. Shit is nice. I like how you use the high pitched vocals but they're short and you used them more like a fill in instrument. That's a good look!

Real nice flips so far.....I'm impressed! Dudes are on there sample grind fa sho. As long as this stays a "showcase" and no one trys to flip into a contest I'll stay involved. Like Low said...(I think) its cool hearing how people in diff't parts of the country and the world rather, can hear a sample so diffently but are able to come up with something nice. That's what its all about!
Lil Drama. The start sounded so promising, but once the beat came in, I really wasnt feeling the drums or the choppyness of the track. I think you rushed this one a bit, sounds a lot like some of my early samplework. I cringe sometimes when I hear that older stuff now, and you will too one day, lol

I don't think it totally sucks 2good...damn man...lol..its not great either. I did't rush it...just wasn't feeling the sample that much. I guess I should only fuck with samples that move me....this one didn't. I always try to contribute to this spot because it's like one of the most looked over sections of the showcase.

p.s. enough with the gospel inspired samples already(lmbao)...give me some soul or funk!

I don't think it totally sucks 2good...damn man...lol..its not great either. I did't rush it...just wasn't feeling the sample that much. I guess I should only fuck with samples that move me....this one didn't. I always try to contribute to this spot because it's like one of the most looked over sections of the showcase.

p.s. enough with the gospel inspired samples already(lmbao)...give me some soul or funk!

I didnt say it sucked, I said it reminded me of some of my old samplework. You will look back on that beat in a few months time and see what I mean.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I didnt say it sucked, I said it reminded me of some of my old samplework. You will look back on that beat in a few months time and see what I mean.

No I won't....lol..shits already deleted...it damn sure wasn't going to added to my catalog of tracks. Non of these flips ever will. I just do to do it.

No I won't....lol..shits already deleted...it damn sure wasn't going to added to my catalog of tracks. Non of these flips ever will. I just do to do it.

I keep all my beats, even the wackest ones, some of the crap ones have had something in them that I liked and I have come up with some good remixes of the old wackness. Making beats is like being a painter, you dont destroy your work. Its good to go back and hear your progress from time to time, its reassuring to hear that progress is being made.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've come a long way over the past year... I look back at my old stuff and can deffinately see progress. Unfortunately tho right now I feel I've hit a plateau and am strugling to rize above. Gotta figure out some new shit to try to gain a next level. Unfortunately there is no great secret or magic brew you can drink to gain the knowledge it just comes with time and hard work.

spanishharlem - That's a dope flip man I really like tha drums in this one. I think this is prety solid all around.

Iceman - I'll have to check back later the myspace isn't loading at this second

O

open mind

wow spanish u killed it!

yo manguino from everything i listend lately u are the one at illmuzik that improved the most very impressed.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
long time no post, i know...

my flip:

http://beats.freedomwaters.com/hard to believe Rendered.mp3

lil drama boi - the composition is strong. don't know that i like the drum sounds themselves. this screams lil zane to me for some reason. not a diss by any means but thats who's voice i'm hearing on this.

dj 2 good - i like this a lot. the bass kick could be harder for me.

manguino- this sounds like raekwon should spit on this. the change up sounds awkward to me and the chipmonkish pitch shift sounds annoying. her voice is borderline annoying to begin with, to raise the pitch makes it worse. i think if you take the vocals off the track it sounds perfect.

lowG- my favorite so far. love the heavy swing. very bluesy. the chops are off a bit on the chorus part.

iceman- i like this. i'd like to hear the snare a little more in the mix.

spanish harlem- good chops. maybe slightly too choppy. the bassline doesn't stand out enough. it gets lost. the notes are too low. maybe slide up an octave.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Merc...I can dig it! I like the reverse vocals. I would just freak the reverses instead of the the regular vocals. Less repetition and a stronger moving bassline and you might have something real tight. I like the foundation. You could fuck with it some more and have some heat!

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Iceman - This flip sounds pretty solid. I like the drum pattern.

mercurywaters - This sounds cool man. Got alot of energy and creativity in it. I'm feeling all the reverses. This is prolly the most unique flip of the bunch and in a good way. Solid flip man.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
lil drama boi- dope flip dog...you made the sample your own...no complaints.

2 good -your interpretation of the sample was ill homie...very nice flip..everythings on point.

manguino- not a fan of sped up lyrics but you def pulled it off here...and I know it was challennging getting everything sequenced properly. dope!

low g- was'nt feelin this as much my dude...the timing of the sample was kinda off which caused your beat not to swing as much as it should've.

iceman- you and manguino got that sped up sample thing down...dope flip and nice drums.

spanish harlem- I tried to download your joint and windows shut down on me so I aint even gone take it there this time homie. put that joint on soundclick or somthing.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I got one called "rain man"

follow sig link

Definitely what I've been waiting for from you. Amazing what a diff't style of drum pattern can do with someones music when they already have the sample flip game on lock. I don't know what took you so long but trust me....if you keep fucking with your drum patterns and trying new shit your production will go to that next level! GOOD SHIT.....I LOVE THE BREAKS WITH JUST THE DRUMS AND BASS.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Definitely what I've been waiting for from you. Amazing what a diff't style of drum pattern can do with someones music when they already have the sample flip game on lock. I don't know what took you so long but trust me....if you keep fucking with your drum patterns and trying new shit your production will go to that next level! GOOD SHIT.....I LOVE THE BREAKS WITH JUST THE DRUMS AND BASS.

Now that I'm fucking with this Reason shit I can eq my drums better than I could in FL. I was just to lazy to fuck with Reason. It took my FL crashing on my desktop to start fucking with it. Aint that something? Now I see what you were talking about...thanks for feed homie.

Status
Not open for further replies.